Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

As usual, they'll be stronger than Dish Network's. The lack of PAC-12 will have very little impact, if any at all. Consider how many customers out of 20 million might be true PAC-12 fans, then consider how many of those people are under a commitment, and finally consider how many of those folks would pay an ETF for this or are out of contract and would leave. The pool of potential defectors just keeps getting smaller. Some churn occurs when a major network is dropped. This may not even register.

Maybe with the people who really don't care for Pac12, but for me along with quite a few people on the west coast or those with PAC12 affiliation, this is a big deal.. I keep reading how people are impressed with the Hopper as well.

But just like people are leaving Directv for Pac12, others are leaving Dish because of AMC.. Instead of speculating, I think it would be interesting to see the 3rd quarter results.. To answer your point about cancel fees, I did the math.. I can easily pay for the 1 year left within 3 months of new contract with DISH. I'm sure you're right that PAC12 doesn't resonate with all 20 million subs, but the West coast is big enough for a sizable dent of defectors.

BTW, I'm not jumping ship yet, but I do keep thinking about it.. I wonder how much longer it takes me to finally persuade the family to take a different direction.

Edited by kick4fun, 19 September 2012 - 07:37 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

Nothing is more vicious than a lover's spat. That's all we've got going here.

I'm looking forward to the make-up sex.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#23 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Nothing is more vicious than a lover's spat. That's all we've got going here.

I'm looking forward to the make-up sex.

You are absolutely right...

#24 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

Well since this thread has been relegated to the back bench, I'll post this link here:

http://blogs.mercury...letter-to-fans/

San Jose Merc's blogger Jon Wilner's weekly update as to the status of the PAC-12 Net on D*. It includes a letter from the PAC-12 to us, the D* subs, and it isn't encouraging.

#25 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

It only goes to prove that if you want pac 12 sports beyond the national networks you will be waiting awhile if you only have Directv.

#26 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

It only goes to prove that if you want pac 12 sports beyond the national networks you will be waiting awhile if you only have Directv.

Or you have a relative or friend (Like I do) who gives you their cable password to watch streaming.. That happened a couple of weeks ago, I streamed my laptop to the tv and we had a viewing party.. It looked pretty good, only once every quarter i had to refresh.. Not really a big deal.

#27 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Other places stream too, but not nearly as good of a quality as that which comes from league and funny thing is those who are doing that have been using the online feed to do it from too.

Or you have a relative or friend (Like I do) who gives you their cable password to watch streaming.. That happened a couple of weeks ago, I streamed my laptop to the tv and we had a viewing party.. It looked pretty good, only once every quarter i had to refresh.. Not really a big deal.

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

I've concluded that Larry Scott is dishonest when it comes to dealing with media over carriage of Pac-12 network. Lies, lies, lies.

Edited by Laxguy, 19 September 2012 - 12:06 PM.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

I've concluded that Larry Scott is a complete dick. Lies, lies, lies.

I disagree and think Mike White is full of it

#30 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

I've concluded that Larry Scott is a complete dick. Lies, lies, lies.

He has seemingly made the Pac12 relevant with the contracts he got through ESPN and such.. Each school gets $30 Million a year, that's without DISH, Comcast and others. ..

Am I mad that the Directv thing didn't work out, you bet. Overall a much better commissioner than our previous one. Without his work, the Pac10 would not have expanded to 12 and WSU along with some of the other schools would not even be on the same page as the Bigger Pac12 schools like USC etc...

Not sure why name calling is necessary.

#31 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

He has seemingly made the Pac12 relevant with the contracts he got through ESPN and such.. Each school gets $30 Million a year, that's without DISH, Comcast and others. ..

Am I mad that the Directv thing didn't work out, you bet. Overall a much better commissioner than our previous one. Without his work, the Pac10 would not have expanded to 12 and WSU along with some of the other schools would not even be on the same page as the Bigger Pac12 schools like USC etc...

Not sure why name calling is necessary.

Agree with you 100%. I give him major credit for being out front and talking at games and answering questions.

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Right you are. Name calling not cool here; my bad. Edited post.

#33 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

I've concluded that Larry Scott is dishonest when it comes to dealing with media over carriage of Pac-12 network. Lies, lies, lies.

What makes you think that I am curious? I read all the quotes from Saturday at the Stanford/USC game and he said then he didn't think a deal wtih D* would be worked out but was overall happy with their deals in place with Dish, TWC, Comcast etc.

There is blame to be laid at both sides, but much of the initial info that came out about what games would be on what networks wasn't The Pac12's fault it was from websites that had speculated what games would end up where. What they didn't take into account was the deal the Pac12 had worked out with its partners. That deal allowed Pac 12 networks to hold back a certain # of games to be on their own channel. A deal that was different from what the Big10 had set up with ESPN.

#34 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

i hope direct eventually gets it cause i would like to see some oregon st stuff but its not a deal breaker for me that will come in a couple of years wen the sec network is launced but will still watch pac-12 for wrestling as the sec doesn't sponsor it
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#35 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

There is blame to be laid at both sides, but much of the initial info that came out about what games would be on what networks wasn't The Pac12's fault it was from websites that had speculated what games would end up where. What they didn't take into account was the deal the Pac12 had worked out with its partners. That deal allowed Pac 12 networks to hold back a certain # of games to be on their own channel. A deal that was different from what the Big10 had set up with ESPN.

You & others keep saying the list is wrong, but it's been right each week. I think the games are set, and Fox will keep getting the big games.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

What makes you think that I am curious?

I don't believe I've said that, or inferred that.

#37 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

You & others keep saying the list is wrong, but it's been right each week. I think the games are set, and Fox will keep getting the big games.

No the list wasn't correct, DirecTV used a list of games from a fan website. Once the games were proven to be wrong they went back and changed what they had up on the website (a Pac 12 source confirmed they had the wrong games). As we move on in the season the windows for which games will be picked vary. Each network was able to pick games at the begining of the year they wanted, those games would mostly be at the begining of the season. The Pac 12 also have two weeks where they get the #1 pick of games (those that were not "drafted" before the season started). Obviously before the season UCLA was not that highly thought of, now those games are a bigger draw. Matt Sarz had it broken down the best a few weeks back and explained the whole "draft/game pick" procedure.

I can't find the tweet at the momment that came out stating the original game list that was credited to FOX wasn't corrrect in regards to Pac 12 games.

#38 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

No the list wasn't correct, DirecTV used a list of games from a fan website. Once the games were proven to be wrong they went back and changed what they had up on the website (a Pac 12 source confirmed they had the wrong games). As we move on in the season the windows for which games will be picked vary. Each network was able to pick games at the begining of the year they wanted, those games would mostly be at the begining of the season. The Pac 12 also have two weeks where they get the #1 pick of games (those that were not "drafted" before the season started). Obviously before the season UCLA was not that highly thought of, now those games are a bigger draw. Matt Sarz had it broken down the best a few weeks back and explained the whole "draft/game pick" procedure.

I can't find the tweet at the momment that came out stating the original game list that was credited to FOX wasn't corrrect in regards to Pac 12 games.

Are we talking about the same list? The Fox schedule?

Attached Files

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#39 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

sigma, thanks for the .pdf...I think.

Big Game is on Oct. 20?

What's going on with that?

It has always been like all big rivalry games - Michigan vs. Ohio St, Harvard vs. Yale, Army vs. Navy - which are at the end of the season.

Stanford vs. Cal should be, too.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#40 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

sigma, thanks for the .pdf...I think.

Big Game is on Oct. 20?

What's going on with that?

It has always been like all big rivalry games - Michigan vs. Ohio St, Harvard vs. Yale, Army vs. Navy - which are at the end of the season.

Stanford vs. Cal should be, too.

Yes, Carl the "Big Game" was moved this year to work out all the schedules. Next year they are saying it will move back to the end of the season and another rivalry game will be moved up earlier in the season. It was part of working out the schedule for 12 schools.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...