Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#381 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

I concur, you have really been supportive of those who want to switch.. That being said, after hearing all the bad things of quality on DISH etc, the SD looks really good and the HD is about the same.. I'm watching Pac12 right now and love it! Fort those who stay with Directv, that's cool too.. Bottom line, get what you need and want. Fort me, the Pac12 is very important..

In spite of my writing of your hyperbole and incessant posting about Pac12, I am all for anyone switching to whatever provider at any time. Just as long as it's a thought out process and that exaggerations or misrepresentations (inadvertent, I am sure!) don't lead to false conclusions for others.

Truly, I am happy for those who want to follow every game of their University's teams, and that there is an avenue now for that.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#382 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

ok, so this is what Dish has.. One SD and one HD feed.. not sure which one is regional or national.. When the games begin, each alternate will open up in HD for the game...

Edited by kick4fun, 28 September 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#383 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

ok, so what DIsh had is this.. One SD and one HD feed.. not sure which one is regional or national.. When the games begin, each alternate will open up in HD for the game...

Wow, that sounds like a pretty limited offering, I wonder if that's what was "similarly" offered to DirecTV.

#384 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

In spite of my writing of your hyperbole and incessant posting about Pac12, I am all for anyone switching to whatever provider at any time. Just as long as it's a thought out process and that exaggerations or misrepresentations (inadvertent, I am sure!) don't lead to false conclusions for others.

Truly, I am happy for those who want to follow every game of their University's teams, and that there is an avenue now for that.

But you see, that's how I have felt toward your postings.. But hey, to each their own.. It sounds like a few of us have finally started to realize Pac12 wasn't happening. The Quality is very good on Dish. In the end, it really comes down to programming.. This was a no brainer for me.. Maybe we can all put the back and forth to rest and hopefully Pac12 comes to Directv so that everyone can enjoy. Cheers!

#385 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

Wow, that sounds like a pretty limited offering, I wonder if that's what was "similarly" offered to DirecTV.

I'm sure it was, but my thought is Directv may go in a different direction all together with the sports channels demanding more and more $$.. Pac12 Networks are a good product, but Directv has so much to consider with the Lakers, Sec etc.. Good luck!

#386 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

For clarification:

What DISH has is the national feed on channel 413 with a HD feed (also on 413) that is used for selected events. It is not a 24/7 national feed (although there is a lot more in HD on PAC 12 than on any other DISH RSN other than Big10).

The alternate channels for PAC-12 are on channels 5453-5460 ... four SD feeds and four HD feeds. As I write this "WSOC: USC at Arizona St." and "WSOC: Oregon at Cal" are on the alts and "WSOC: Washington at Colorado" is on 413. (At 9pm ET/6pm CT there are three different volleyball matches, one on main and two on alts.)

Is there another game in progress that is being missed?

The "national" plus six regional mix feeds are designed for cable. The national feed will carry the most important games while the regionals will branch off to carry other games of interest to that region. Perhaps "down the road" there will be more variety on the seven channels but for now, PAC12 does not have enough conflicting content to put something different on all seven channels. A national feed and alts carries all the broadcast content they have.

#387 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Even most of the cable providers don't offer the National and all 6 regional feeds. I think there are just a few cable providers that do offer all 7 feeds. Some do by giving the national and your regional feed and puts the rest in a sports tier or doesn't offer them at all. Each provider has a different setup. It doesn't sound like Directv would carry much more then the National and alts similar to Dish unless they were all in a stand alone package but you never know until the deal is done.

#388 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Officially another month gone without a deal.
I wonder what Pac 12's strategy will be in October.
No deal in August, no deal in September, so let's see if they change their offer in October.

Will it be an October-Fest for Pac 12 fans with DirecTV?

#389 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

It is virtually safe to say it won't happen this year.

No deal in August, no deal in September, so let's see if they change their offer in October.

#390 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

Yup, looks like I'll be looking for an internet stream for tomorrow's UCLA game.

DirecTV, "Leader in sports", my ass...:rolleyes::nono2:

#391 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

Buster, give it up....Directv is not coming on board and Pac 12 is not going to alter the deal. They cannot w/o repercussions with the other distributors. Fact remains that the market price is clearly established. The deal is on the table that is the same with the other providers.

Don't you see - we are not important to Directv. Until/unless a large number of people switch to other providers - for this very reason - will Directv change it's stance.

There is a new Sheriff in town and he's Michael White. He doesn't care about anyone except himself and his executive team and the large compensation they get and his own ego. He cleaned house at Directv and everyone else be damned. While I certainly hope he tanks Directv to the tank, for the moment Wall Street likes what they see. He's hoping for a merger, however, and that I don't expect to happen.

#392 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

Buster, give it up....Directv is not coming on board and Pac 12 is not going to alter the deal. They cannot w/o repercussions with the other distributors. Fact remains that the market price is clearly established. The deal is on the table that is the same with the other providers.

Don't you see - we are not important to Directv. Until/unless a large number of people switch to other providers - for this very reason - will Directv change it's stance.

There is a new Sheriff in town and he's Michael White. He doesn't care about anyone except himself and his executive team and the large compensation they get and his own ego. He cleaned house at Directv and everyone else be damned. While I certainly hope he tanks Directv to the tank, for the moment Wall Street likes what they see. He's hoping for a merger, however, and that I don't expect to happen.

And there are new Deputies...

http://blogs.mercury...nd-other-notes/
"Since then, I’ve followed up with industry contacts and become even more convinced that a summertime shakeup in DTV’s corporate structure played a central role in the negotiations going sideways just before the season.

In particular, I’m referring to the departure of Derek Chang, the Executive VP for Content Strategy and Development, who is viewed as a tough but fair negotiator (and is also a Stanford alum)."

That is why I've decided, per the suggestions of Maartena, that we have to move on.. This isn't a knock on Directv, just that if you want programming you need to look elsewhere which it sounds like some of are finally doing so..

#393 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,087 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

And there are new Deputies...

http://blogs.mercury...nd-other-notes/
"Since then, I’ve followed up with industry contacts and become even more convinced that a summertime shakeup in DTV’s corporate structure played a central role in the negotiations going sideways just before the season.

In particular, I’m referring to the departure of Derek Chang, the Executive VP for Content Strategy and Development, who is viewed as a tough but fair negotiator (and is also a Stanford alum)."

That is why I've decided, per the suggestions of Maartena, that we have to move on.. This isn't a knock on Directv, just that if you want programming you need to look elsewhere which it sounds like some of are finally doing so..

Chang is still there until the end of the year according to reports.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#394 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

Chang is still there until the end of the year according to reports.

I read that and I certainly don't know the scope of his influence, but one might think the new leadership wants to make their own decisions.

#395 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

There are quite a few Pac-12 men's basketball games that are scheduled to air on ESPNU.

I can't help but really laugh at this.. I counted 3 games for the Cougs on ESPNU...
http://www.wsucougar...skbl-sched.html
Only a couple of FX, but the rest on Pac12 Networks.. I'm happy to have the Pac12 in HD and watch every single game if I need to.

#396 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,087 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

I can't help but really laugh at this.. I counted 3 games for the Cougs on ESPNU...
http://www.wsucougar...skbl-sched.html
Only a couple of FX, but the rest on Pac12 Networks.. I'm happy to have the Pac12 in HD and watch every single game if I need to.

They'd rather show good teams on the U, like Arizona. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#397 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

:gott:

#398 ONLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Final from Tucson: Oregon St. 38
U of A 35

Sooo Close

#399 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,087 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Final from Tucson: Oregon St. 38
U of A 35

Sooo Close

We were talking basketball. UofA football just frustrates me too much. :lol:

#400 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

We were talking basketball. UofA football just frustrates me too much. :lol:

I watched the Arizona game as well last night.. The Hopper has PIP and I could see both that game and of course my WSU game. Both in beautiful HD and I thought Arizona looked really good.. Btw, their dark blue unis were cool. I love this Pac12 thing. I switched back and forth and thought it was so much fun.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...