Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

ESPN/ESPN HD $4.58
Fox Sports Net $2.37

RSNs: $0.20-$2.15

These numbers are two years old, and I'm sure some have changed, (all Viacom channels for example). I saw a story from last month that said ESPN is now getting $5.31 per sub. The PAC-12 must feel they fit somewhere between Fox Sports Net and the middle tier of the other RSN's.
And we don't know if they want a graduated fee depending on in-market and out-of-market D* subs. Seeing this, though I feel $.90 is too much, and I'd be surprised if Dish is paying that much.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Not challenging your allegiance as a fan; you're in the biggest/highest fan tier! :)

What I've asked several times and you have ignored or deflected is: Have you any connection with Pac12 outside of your fandom?

I've not ignored.. :nono2:.. I've answered several times.
So there is no confusion... I AM A Washington State University Alumnus and fan who knows that if Directv signs on, every Pac12 team expects to earn $$$. So, that is the extent of my interest.. Capisce :)

#463 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

ESPN/ESPN HD $4.58
Fox Sports Net $2.37

These numbers are two years old, and I'm sure some have changed, (all Viacom channels for example). I saw a story from last month that said ESPN is now getting $5.31 per sub. The PAC-12 must feel they fit somewhere between Fox Sports Net and the middle tier of the other RSN's.
And we don't know if they want a graduated fee depending on in-market and out-of-market D* subs. Seeing this, though I feel $.90 is too much, and I'd be surprised if Dish is paying that much.

Dish did make a deal with the exclusive signage in the stadiums.. I wonder how that impacted the price. Hmmm.

#464 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

ESPN/ESPN HD $4.58
Fox Sports Net $2.37

I noticed the age of the numbers too, but if they are correct, I have to laugh if Pac 12 thinks it deserves more than the NFL Network !rolling

#465 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

This post is just a read, not a endorsement for either Directv nor Pac12.. JUST Observations.. All love, my DBS compadres.. :)

http://www.pacificta...-directv-rumors

#466 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,796 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

This post is just a read, not a endorsement for either Directv nor Pac12.. JUST Observations.. All love, my DBS compadres.. :)

http://www.pacificta...-directv-rumors

That guy has no clue how many emails DirecTV has received. The tweet was from a biased writer.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#467 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

I noticed the age of the numbers too, but if they are correct, I have to laugh if Pac 12 thinks it deserves more than the NFL Network !rolling

Per Kagan, the NFL gets 95 cents a month...

Financial terms were not disclosed. Per SNL Kagan estimates, NFL Network commands one of the highest carriage fees among nationally distributed cable networks—95 cents per subscriber per month. The industry average is one shiny quarter.

http://www.adweek.co...-network-143937

This isn't about the NFL. It's about the Big-10.

Whatever the Big-10 gets, the Pac-10 deserves 15%, more given that it's a much more accomplished athletic league.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#468 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

That guy has no clue how many emails DirecTV has received. The tweet was from a biased writer.

Of course. Pac12 is the shiznit

#469 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

But it was on a Pac12 website, so you know the reporting couldn't be shaded, slanted, much less outright wrong. (I have no way of knowing the latter):sure:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#470 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

But it was on a Pac12 website, so you know the reporting couldn't be shaded, slanted, much less outright wrong. (I have no way of knowing the latter):sure:

Are you sure its a Pac12 website? Hmm

#471 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 483 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Per Kagan, the NFL gets 95 cents a month...

Financial terms were not disclosed. Per SNL Kagan estimates, NFL Network commands one of the highest carriage fees among nationally distributed cable networks—95 cents per subscriber per month. The industry average is one shiny quarter.

http://www.adweek.co...-network-143937

This isn't about the NFL. It's about the Big-10.

Whatever the Big-10 gets, the Pac-10 deserves 15%, more given that it's a much more accomplished athletic league.

So because of the PAC 12's accolades, I should pay more a month because of it even though I live nowhere close to the PAC 12 areas? I hope that isn't what you mean. If it comes down to a conferences win record in it's sports and placing a value on it due to that alone, then sports itself is lost. Note I said conference. I'm not dragging pro sports into this just to be clear. That is a whole different topic.

#472 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

The pac 12 channel is very similar to the big10 network. Don't they charge a higher rate per subscriber in that local area and a lower rate for the rest of the nation? The pac 12 is surely worth $90 cents each on the west coast and $20 cents everywhere else. This issue is still hurting big in football. Every week either USC or UCLA have been on that channel. Both are on fox this week, but USC is on pac 12 next week!

These are like pro teams to southern california. It is all we got folks. And we want it now. Even hicks (just kidding) in eastern washington. Everything costs more along the west coast beach. Today we had the first hard rain all summer! No other large population area has it that good. Hey the trojans could still finish top 10. Along with 5 other pac 12 teams. Directv please make a deal now. We will pay more on the west coast. Those fans in their el segundo office need to step up. USC is 10 miles from you guys.

#473 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Are you sure its a Pac12 website? Hmm

Not sure, no. But this was at the top:

"Pacific Takes, a Pac-12 community" So, I've eliminated the Big10 as an interested party. :D

#474 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

A bunch of emails and phone calls and few leaving directv is worthless. Time to get personal. Directv has 2 main offices. They are in socal and Colorado. USC plays Colorado next week in college football on PAC 12 network. How many big wigs that work for directv do you know? Bug them to death that they can't watch this game. They all want to watch this game. Believe me just within directv managerial employment whoever wins that game is bragging rights! Directv are you really going to make your employees miss this game? Or watch it on cable? lol

#475 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Big Ten Network gets $0.36 and the Pac12 wants how much? $0.90? That's a big deal with 19 million customers.

Really now.

There is an in-market rate and an out of market rate.

The Pac 12 has offered Directv substantially the same terms as Dish Network, Comcast, and the others.

You really think .36 is correct? It's an average rate. Being that Pac 12 is in a good chunk of homes nationwide it's 90 cent rate would also similarly drop to these levels or lower when you consider all of the viewers outside of the Pac 12 footprint.

#476 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Canzano is a columnist. His role is to stir things up, which he does.

And you call him biased? I think you and everyone else here is the same. He does, however, have more knowledge of the situation than you do and is closer to many folks, he interviews them all the time on his show and for his columns. While he may be biased, he's certainly more believable than many here.

#477 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Not sure, no. But this was at the top:

"Pacific Takes, a Pac-12 community" So, I've eliminated the Big10 as an interested party. :D

... Not that maybe Pacific Takes may just mean a Pacific perspective, not necessarily affiliated with Pac12 per say???
.. Just saying

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SB_Nation
And Yes, a Pac12 community from A larger pool..

Edited by kick4fun, 11 October 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#478 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

That is the most idiotic statement ever.. It's from SB Nation. Yes it says "Pacific Takes, a Pac-12 community", but also speaking on behalf of SB Nation.. Please, just grab a beer and chill out.
Please get the facts right.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SB_Nation

#479 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Ladies and gents...

The participants of this thread have seen the action I have been forced to take because of rudeness here. It is up to you whether or not those actions need to be taken again.

Please be polite.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#480 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

That is the most idiotic statement ever.. It's from SB Nation. Yes it says "Pacific Takes, a Pac-12 community", but also speaking on behalf of SB Nation.. Please, just grab a beer and chill out.
Please get the facts right.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SB_Nation

Not what I referred to.
Be civil.

spam firewall