Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Not what I referred to.
Be civil.

Nice.. And now you want to be.. Fine.. I agree.. Stop the challenges..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Perhaps the conversation between you two can go to PM?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#483 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Perhaps the conversation between you two can go to PM?

Yes..

#484 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,923 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Maybe the thread can go to the DirecTV forum; Dish has it's topic already. Members who've switched seem to keep posting here to stir up trouble or flaunt.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#485 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

pac 12 now will be available by October 19. By that point most major providers that picked up the network will have pac 12 network now activated.

Maybe the thread can go to the DirecTV forum; Dish has it's topic already. Members who've switched seem to keep posting here to stir up trouble or flaunt.

#486 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

pac 12 now will be available by October 19. By that point most major providers that picked up the network will have pac 12 network now activated.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Streaming?

#487 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

That is what the streaming service is called that includes the networks and other events they are streaming.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Streaming?

#488 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,923 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

That is what the streaming service is called that includes the networks and other events they are streaming.

But you quoted me. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#489 OFFLINE   widmark

widmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

The pac 12 channel is very similar to the big10 network. Don't they charge a higher rate per subscriber in that local area and a lower rate for the rest of the nation? The pac 12 is surely worth $90 cents each on the west coast and $20 cents everywhere else.

It seems most of the posters here are looking at this Pac 12 deal in isolation. The issue is, if collegiate football keeps fragmenting into mini networks with their own high bar fee requirements, who here thinks it won't ultimately push your bill higher, and fracture your access. If you want this game, you need DTV, if you want that game...Dish or Time Warner. It's a spaghetti of deals and fees being hatched.

I do have problem with the Pac 12 setting major records on fees ($3 billion to ESPN and Fox last year) And shutting out a network over record fee demands. DTV has signed a bunch of deals already like this and I'm sure they are thinking this cant keep going in this economy without a good percentage of subscriber drop offs/cord cutters.

Directv is by no means a saint but we DTV/Pac 12 fans are on the same side on this one. It's really frustrating that the Pac 12 is going after fees in a kind of scorched earth way, creating ad campaigns encouraging people to dump DTV and blocking games. This is a conference dominated by public universities with a mandate for equal access to education. Yet the collegiate sports side is being run like a hardball professional sports franchise.

Look at this recent interview with Larry Scott. He clearly wants to send the message that he believes DTV will lose customers and he is content to give his demands time to marinate while we lack access.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=hpd3J23EIrM

#490 OFFLINE   widmark

widmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

It seems most of the posters here are looking at this Pac 12 deal in isolation. The issue is, if collegiate football keeps fragmenting into mini networks with their own high bar fee requirements, who here thinks it won't ultimately push your bill higher, and fracture your access. If you want this game, you need DTV, if you want that game...Dish or Time Warner. It's a spaghetti of deals and fees being hatched.

I do have problem with the Pac 12 setting major records on fees ($3 billion to ESPN and Fox last year) And shutting out a network over record fee demands. DTV has signed a bunch of deals already like this and I'm sure they are thinking this cant keep going in this economy without a good percentage of subscriber drop offs/cord cutters.

Directv is by no means a saint but we DTV/Pac 12 fans are on the same side on this one. It's really frustrating that the Pac 12 is going after fees in a kind of scorched earth way, creating ad campaigns encouraging people to dump DTV and blocking games. This is a conference dominated by public universities with a mandate for equal access to education. Yet the collegiate sports side is being run like a hardball professional sports franchise.

Look at this recent interview with Larry Scott. He clearly wants to send the message that he believes DTV will lose customers and he is content to give his demands time to marinate while we lack access.

I am ticked at my alma mater for being part of this and I am not donating to them a red cent until they change course. I don't want to hear that they've shut out any network over some profit motive, unless that network is really a bad actor and pulling some junk on them. I'm not seeing anything nefarious from DTV.

#491 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,003 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

I hope you let your alumni office - especially the Development Office—know your stance in detail. And if it's Cal, that their AD ought to be fired for making a complete idiot of herself, not to mention being unprofessional in letting her office be used for private enterprise promotion. Yeeeeccchhhhh!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#492 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

It's really frustrating that the Pac 12 is going after fees in a kind of scorched earth way, creating ad campaigns encouraging people to dump DTV and blocking games.

You're going after the wrong entity.

Get ESPN to accept 2.25 cents a sub, and all will be well.

Personally, I believe that the Pac-12 deserves 15% more than whatever the Big-12 gets. And I would tell the Pac-12 point person to not come back with any deal unless it's as good as what the Big-12 got.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#493 OFFLINE   widmark

widmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Personally, I believe that the Pac-12 deserves 15% more than whatever the Big-12 gets

You made my point in your byline about cable bills rising faster than tv consumption! I don't know which conference is more deserving or how they divy the pie, and it doesn't matter to me. The overall pie is becoming unmanagable with all these mini networks... and their pricing is in aggregate not going to work for the average customer if the trend continues. One of the networks needs to take the plunge and fight the trend, I just wish it wasn't my network DTV.

BTW, I just looked it up and last earnings, DTV posted their first net US subscriber loss in their history.

I have a feeling this will be a long ride. I just signed up with DTV so I have no choice but to ride it out.

#494 OFFLINE   widmark

widmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

I hope you let your alumni office - especially the Development Office—know your stance in detail. And if it's Cal, that their AD ought to be fired for making a complete idiot of herself, not to mention being unprofessional in letting her office be used for private enterprise promotion. Yeeeeccchhhhh!

You pegged me right as a Cal Bear. Cal won but the Giants blew up this weekend! Although I couldn't watch the Cal game given the dispute.

I know there's a budget crisis and the cuts on the UC system have been severe, but come on, this hardball fee grab is going to hurt more than help at some level, and they seem to have found the level.

#495 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

This is the wrong approach as well.. My wife works in Development and this is not the right course of action to see change in the contracts for Pac12. Call the Pac12, but the Development dept (My wife works as the SR Director of Annual Gifts) will ask for gifts that are donated to general funds, certain scholarships etc. If one stops giving to the University because they're not able to access the Pac12 networks, then shame on them. How silly!

Secondly, CAL AD FIRED?? Because she supports watching her team on the TV at home?? No, I'm quite sure CAL will not fire her over this. She's done a nice job with the program at CAL, despite the mixed reactions of the Youtube video.

Edited by kick4fun, 15 October 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#496 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

You pegged me right as a Cal Bear. Cal won but the Giants blew up this weekend! Although I couldn't watch the Cal game given the dispute.

I know there's a budget crisis and the cuts on the UC system have been severe, but come on, this hardball fee grab is going to hurt more than help at some level, and they seem to have found the level.

The President of Colorado State University has just addressed the need for University funding to expect less and less money from the State of Colorado and I expect most Universities to expect the same. By the year 2020, CSU expects all the public funds to vanguish, however they have just approved stadium relocation and a overall stadium fund of over $250 Million dollars. I mention this example because this going on around the country. CSU probably would have been a better fit for the Pac12 then lets say Utah. One of the reasons they were overlooked was because of their current facilities.

Larry Scott of the Pac12 has addressed this need for the schools of the PAC by building a network securing the funding for all the schools to have sufficient money for their athletic programs. This tactic levels the playing field for all the Pac schools and doesn't leave anyone out. I know it seems wrong in the current economic state, but oddly enough people are paying with their wallets. Certainly ESPN and FOX wouldn't have paid the Pac12 this money if they didn't feel they could sell it.

#497 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

We belong to an Alumni group and sometimes meet up for games... Now, I'm able to watch the games via DISH only because I recently switched, but you could always call around and find a bar to watch the games that are on PAC12 networks. WE just found one that had Comcast. It might take some work, but if you don't want to switch providers they're usually is an option to find someplace. I do feel your pain.

#498 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,003 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

This is the wrong approach as well.. My wife works in Development and this is not the right course of action to see change in the contracts for Pac12.

I'm sure your wife would agree, as would any staffer of any Development or Alumni office of any of the constituents. [Or anyone with a mission to force DIRECTV® to carry the station.]

But similar to those who advocated calling DIRECTV en masse, or dropping the service, or FBing the matter ad nausuem, registering one's complaint with the money departments of the various universities is likely to have some impact over time, especially if donations fall because of this rabid little group running the new consortium.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#499 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'm sure your wife would agree, as would any staffer of any Development or Alumni office of any of the constituents. [Or anyone with a mission to force DIRECTV® to carry the station.]

But similar to those who advocated calling DIRECTV en masse, or dropping the service, or FBing the matter ad nausuem, registering one's complaint with the money departments of the various universities is likely to have some impact over time, especially if donations fall because of this rabid little group running the new consortium.

No, she does not agree. I conceded the calling of Directv as a bad idea but calling the Office of development because what?? Directv isn't agreeing to the demands of the Network? Come on.

Even Bill Moos, The AD at WSU, said he wished the deal to be done but maybe people should switch. He was on hold in his latest proposal to add a new $60 million stadium addition, but now had decided to continue despite the lack of Directv.

#500 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

but now had decided to continue despite the lack of Directv.

I knew it was an empty threat. :)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

spam firewall