Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#626 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,900 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Yea, so what? Times change all the time. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean we remain in the past. And frankly, Pac 12 has alums and fans all over the country that do want the channel.

Of course. But in what numbers? Not the number of alums, but those who really want to watch their FB or soccer or BB team?

And, Mr. Traveller, have you any connection with Pac-12 in addition to being a fan?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#627 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,994 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

<snip>
I flat disagree with that statement. The content of Pac 12 sports costs less on Pac 12 Network (for more content) than Root Sports (or any other west coast RSN charges). So if we pay 80 cents per sub for Pac 12 for the whole thing or $2.40 something on Root for a few games here and there? We have a LOT more content for lower cost. Basically Pac 12 can do the whole thing for a lot less than others and give us better access at the same time.

Fact remains that Pac 12 will probably be the last league owned channel. The grain is so difficult now with the fights Pac 12 is having that it is unlikely any other league will be able to muster wide distribution.

The comment in bold brings up a very interesting thought exercise.

Let’s say it is 80¢ per sub. If DIRECTV is paying 80¢ per sub then the sub is paying 80+¢.

The question I find myself asking is this a reasonable cost for a single RSN and is it also reasonable to expect that other content providers won’t expect that they can get similarly priced carriage agreements in future?

Personally, I think costs per channel per subscriber are in danger of getting out of hand. e.g. If we have 100 channels averaging 75¢ per sub that’s $75/mo per subscriber to carry those channels.

I believe that with people using DVRs and functions like AutoHop we can expect it’s going to be difficult for broadcasters to maintain ad revenues. Once high carriage deals become the norm, it will be one way for broadcasters to recoup some of that missing ad money further driving up our monthly bills. IMHO, the PAC-12 carriage deal is the line in the sand only beacuse it came at a time when the line needed to be drawn and unfortunately the PAC-12 fans are caught in the middle.

My 2¢ FWIW.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#628 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Happy for the Lakers' fans.

I knew the lines coming out of DirecTV were nothing more than empty rhetoric. Too expensive, don't want non-lakers fans paying or subsidizing for fans. Yeah right.

Complaining isn't enough as I think DirecTV felt the cancellation pressure as I can't explain them putting foot in mouth after holding out for this long.

DirecTV being 0 for 2 in two local sports networks for the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area (lakers and usc/ucla) wasn't and isn't healthy.

#629 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Man I hope the Lakers distraction helps bring the p12 negotiations back to the table. I'm dying not being able to see some bball!

#630 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 863 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

I knew the lines coming out of DirecTV were nothing more than empty rhetoric. Too expensive, don't want non-lakers fans paying or subsidizing for fans. Yeah right.

Complaining isn't enough as I think DirecTV felt the cancellation pressure as I can't explain them putting foot in mouth after holding out for this long.

DirecTV being 0 for 2 in two local sports networks for the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area (lakers and usc/ucla) wasn't and isn't healthy.

yea, but being 0-2 for local in Portland sports (Blazers and OSU/UofO) is apparently healthy. And further, being 0-2 for sports in Seattle ( Blazers -sorry sonics fans and WSU/UW) is also healthy.

our 6 (oregon) and 9 (washington) electoral votes don't mean much to California's 32….

#631 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Of course. But in what numbers? Not the number of alums, but those who really want to watch their FB or soccer or BB team?

And, Mr. Traveller, have you any connection with Pac-12 in addition to being a fan?

My wife and I are alums of different Pac 12 universities and our kids someday will likely be Pac 12 students, our parents were Pac 12 students, and of course, we hold season tickets to football and attend other sports events.

So no employment connection, alum and fan.

#632 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Yea cancellations had to be significant, it was not looking pretty.

#633 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 863 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

As much as I don't like the ducks ( can't use the word hate) it would be great if Phil knight and/or nike campus had directv. It would be great for him to threaten to drop. Because the state of Oregon doesn't have ant clout to push a pac-12 deal

#634 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,900 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

My wife and I are alums of different Pac 12 universities and our kids someday will likely be Pac 12 students, our parents were Pac 12 students, and of course, we hold season tickets to football and attend other sports events.

So no employment connection, alum and fan.

Thanks.

I was slightly dyslexic when I read the first sentence: "My wife and I are alums of 12 different Pac. universities..."!!!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#635 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Well, one thing is for certain, DirecTV can never say they don't want non-fans subsidizing programming for fans, less we dig this all back up and laugh.

I'm sure they paid full price for this package or TWC was willing to discount everyone else they already signed (highly unlikely).

DirecTV is kind of sleazy in my eyes and they are losing their pristine reputation (at least I held them in that regard prior to this year). If they lose exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket, they may be in trouble in my opinion based on what they are publicly saying and doing.

Which begs to question: where's the pac-12 network and what's their excuse this time?

#636 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

So NFL, get DirecTV for all you can. If I were you, I would.

#637 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Heads up: Civil War (Ore @ Oreg. St) game this Sat (11/24) on the PAC-12 Net (exclusively) at Noon (PST).
Thanks for nothing D*.

#638 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,374 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Heads up: Civil War (Ore @ Oreg. St) game this Sat (11/24) on the PAC-12 Net (exclusively) at Noon (PST).
Thanks for nothing D*.

Isn't that the network's first ever game with both teams ranked? It's about time they had a decent game ... it only took 13 weeks. Too bad the UCLA verse Stanford game is way more important since Stanford controls their own destiny. Stanford at UCLA gets national coverage on Fox... Fox picked the right game.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#639 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Well, one thing is for certain, DirecTV can never say they don't want non-fans subsidizing programming for fans, less we dig this all back up and laugh.

I'm sure they paid full price for this package or TWC was willing to discount everyone else they already signed (highly unlikely).

DirecTV is kind of sleazy in my eyes and they are losing their pristine reputation (at least I held them in that regard prior to this year). If they lose exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket, they may be in trouble in my opinion based on what they are publicly saying and doing.

Which begs to question: where's the pac-12 network and what's their excuse this time?

They won't lose their exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket. The NFL wants it limited to a single provider and DirecTV will have first dibs at signing a new deal. It's DirecTV's crown jewel. It isn't going anywhere.
DTV = Digital Television

#640 OFFLINE   chillyfl

chillyfl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

Insomnia, so instead of counting sheep, I counted games involving both teams that are currently ranked in the BCS Top 25, up through the games this coming weekend. So through week 13, there will have been 39 total games of currently ranked teams and the PAC-12 Networks will have had 6 of those games. By network:

ESPN - 10
ABC - 7.5 (Oregon State vs UCLA was regional coverage split with ESPN2)
FOX - 6
P12N - 6
CBS - 5
NBC - 2
ESPN2 - 1.5 (see above for .5 game explanation)
ESPNG/SPNY/MASN - 1 (Rutgers vs Kent St.)

#641 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

They won't lose their exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket. The NFL wants it limited to a single provider and DirecTV will have first dibs at signing a new deal. It's DirecTV's crown jewel. It isn't going anywhere.

It's entirely possible that Directv's Mike White does not like any increase in programming costs and plays hardball.

Really Directv carries the advantage here - it's the only system that has nationwide access (other than Dish). If Directv played hardball then NFL would be stuck negotiating with individual systems across the country to keep the same access level.

#642 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

NFL required a significant increase for the extension on their contract that runs through next year, I believe.

One of two things will probably happen:

1. NFL expands out of market distribution significantly.
2. NFL raises the cost even more, by a large margin, for DirecTV to maintain their exclusive position.

#643 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

NFL required a significant increase for the extension on their contract that runs through next year, I believe.

2. NFL raises the cost even more, by a large margin, for DirecTV to maintain their exclusive position.

The NFL wants it to be exclusive and limited to one provider. This is by far the most significant agreement in regards to adding and retaining customers. It isn't going anywhere. It never has. There is a reason for that. How many times must this be explained?
DTV = Digital Television

#644 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

The NFL wants it to be exclusive and limited to one provider. This is by far the most significant agreement in regards to adding and retaining customers. It isn't going anywhere. It never has. There is a reason for that. How many times must this be explained?

Some people just don't adapt to change, which is always inevitable..

#645 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Perhaps....two points though, Michael White has complained vigorously about sports costs climbing out of control and has publicly stated he's not putting up with it (despite following the same on his 100% owned sports channels)

But at the same time, how many customers get Directv simply because of NFL Sunday Ticket and would drop if available elsewhere?

#646 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

What Mr. White says and what he actually does is mutually exclusive.

Like I said, if the NFL does keep DirecTV as their exclusive provider, they will pay, a lot.

They had to pay A LOT MORE just to get a measly extension, let alone a new contract. That alone says a lot if the NFL wasn't willing to grant them another X year exclusive contract, instead ripping DirecTV for a tiny extension while they figure things out.

So NFL, get DirecTV IMO, for all they're worth. Or just expand distribution and get even more. You cannot lose either way.

#647 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

One final blast of disgust towards D* and its attitude of denial and dis-respect on this last day of the PAC-12 Net showing football.
If my circumstances were different, I would have dumped D* last summer over this.

#648 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

One final blast of disgust towards D* and its attitude of denial and dis-respect on this last day of the PAC-12 Net showing football.
If my circumstances were different, I would have dumped D* last summer over this.

It's too bad that the folks behind the PAC-12 Network never made DirecTV an offer they felt was worth accepting. Hopefully they will be able to keep some of their more prominent games on their own network over the next year and increase their perceived value. They came out of the gate way too ****y and made the disappointing decision to use taxpayer funded university employees as PR mouth pieces to bash the the largest and most powerful national television provider in the country. It was bungled by the PAC-12 Network from the beginning.

DirecTV certainly hasn't appeared to be suffering from the lack of the PAC-12 Network.
DTV = Digital Television

#649 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

It's too bad that the folks behind the PAC-12 Network never made DirecTV an offer they felt was worth accepting. Hopefully they will be able to keep some of their more prominent games on their own network over the next year and increase their perceived value. They came out of the gate way too ****y and made the disappointing decision to use taxpayer funded university employees as PR mouth pieces to bash the the largest and most powerful national television provider in the country. It was bungled by the PAC-12 Network from the beginning.

DirecTV certainly hasn't appeared to be suffering from the lack of the PAC-12 Network.

Nice to see that the end of the football season hasn't detered you jingoistic factless attittude towards D*.
According (again) to Jon Wilner who wrote on Wednesday "As I’ve written numerous times, the conference cannot cave: It must hold its ground with DirecTV and Charter, which have been offered essentially the same deal as Comcast and DISH and all the other providers that have reached a carriage deal."

Thanks for nothing D*.

#650 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Nice to see that the end of the football season hasn't detered you jingoistic factless attittude towards D*.
According (again) to Jon Wilner who wrote on Wednesday "As I’ve written numerous times, the conference cannot cave: It must hold its ground with DirecTV and Charter, which have been offered essentially the same deal as Comcast and DISH and all the other providers that have reached a carriage deal."

Thanks for nothing D*.

Which we all know is a lie. It's not the same deal. It was never the same deal. Wilner is a same hack who has been peddling PAC-12 propaganda from the start in his poorly written and formatted pieces.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...