Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Are we talking about the same list? The Fox schedule?

Sigma it was a different list, one that came out on a fan website listing games and times. It was quickly removed after it was shown to be wrong. From what I understand, it was "Fox's dream" list of games they'd want to boardcast if everything fell into place. But, it wasn't games that were actually on the schedule with networks attached they were "TBA" games with no network or time. It wasn't a list that came from FOX or another media partner.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,963 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sigma it was a different list, one that came out on a fan website listing games and times. It was quickly removed after it was shown to be wrong. From what I understand, it was "Fox's dream" list of games they'd want to boardcast if everything fell into place. But, it wasn't games that were actually on the schedule with networks attached they were "TBA" games with no network or time. It wasn't a list that came from FOX or another media partner.

Ahh ok, did you see the pdf I attached?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#43 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

Ahh ok, did you see the pdf I attached?

Yes I did and from I saw that looks correct, the issue was the other one being cited was not an official FOX one.

#44 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Here's D*'s latest try at offering excuses as to why there's no PAC-12 Net on its system.
One line gets me: "Our goal is to provide Pac-12 Network to anyone who wants it."
Well I want it, so where is it?

http://support.direc...WQvSHZUTWJHNmw=

All this homemade Q&A covers is football. How about when basketball season starts and we can't see up to 150 games?

#45 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Here's D*'s latest try at offering excuses as to why there's no PAC-12 Net on its system.
One line gets me: "Our goal is to provide Pac-12 Network to anyone who wants it."

All this homemade Q&A covers is football. How about when basketball season starts and we can't see up to 150 games?

Based on this line:

We don't want to add any unnecessary costs for those customers who may not have as strong an interest in Pac-12 Network.

sounds like DIRECTV wants to make it ala cart or a RSN just in the Pac-12 area. That's fine with me since I'd be one of ths customers that have zero interest in Pac-12 and don't want any additional unnecessary costs on my monthly bill. Just like you probably don't give a darn about the Longhorn network and don't want to pay anything extra on your bill if they carried it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#46 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

All this homemade Q&A covers is football. How about when basketball season statrts and we can't see up to 150 games?

If you want the PAC-12 network, then you should ask them to make a better offer to DirecTV. It would also go a long way if the network would stop lying about their previous offer. They are the ones missing out on 20 million potential viewers and the revenue that comes with them. When your marquee match-ups dry up only three weeks into the season...it doesn't help your product value.
DTV = Digital Television

#47 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

It is BS.. I like how they said, "None of the games on the Pac-12 Network schedule feature any nationally ranked opponents based on either the current Associated Press or USA Today Coaches' Poll."

Really??? http://espn.go.com/c...otball/rankings
Shows USC is ranked 13.. That's just this week.

Larry Scott said it best, "DirecTV's claim that the games on the Pac-12 Network are not of interest is absurd. In college football, every game is a big game - something we'd all expect the leader in sports to understand, particularly when it offers its customers Big Ten Network, CBS Sports Network and many regional sports networks. While we admire our Rose Bowl brethren at the Big Ten, why shouldn't Pac-12 fans and alums be insulted by DirecTV's decision to trivialize the games that matter to them? Just like those Big Ten fans, we want to see every game our teams play."

#48 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

If you want the PAC-12 network, then you should ask them to make a better offer to DirecTV. It would also go a long way if the network would stop lying about their previous offer. They are the ones missing out on 20 million potential viewers and the revenue that comes with them. When your marquee match-ups dry up only three weeks into the season...it doesn't help your product value.

LYING?? Really? why then explain to us please the LIES that Larry Scott said.. I want to hear actual proof of the transcripts that occurred between PAC12 and Directv...

#49 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Based on this line:

sounds like DIRECTV wants to make it ala cart or a RSN just in the Pac-12 area. That's fine with me since I'd be one of ths customers that have zero interest in Pac-12 and don't want any additional unnecessary costs on my monthly bill. Just like you probably don't give a darn about the Longhorn network and don't want to pay anything extra on your bill if they carried it.

I'd take the Longhorn deal too, even though I think UT should have joined the PAC16. :) It's about adding sports, not denying us. If we have to get Big10 on the basic channels, then I want PAC12 too.

#50 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hey, guys. One man's lying is another man's telling the truth.

And people are always accused of lying in tough negotiations.

I'd hate to see thread #6 on this topic have to be started before the end of the week.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#51 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

LYING?? Really? why then explain to us please the LIES that Larry Scott said.. I want to hear actual proof of the transcripts that occurred between PAC12 and Directv...

First the offers were the same. Then the Dish deal included exclusives. Now they say the deals were, "fundamentally similar."

The deal we've offered DirecTV is fundamentally similar to the deal that has already been accepted by DISH

http://www.sbnation....orks-directv-tv

Scott said that DirecTV has been "offered the same deal that Dish has been offered, so no doubt it's a fair deal. Dish thought so, and 40 cable companies thought so, so I hope they listen to their customers the same way the others have.

http://www.dailynews...e-provider-dish

#52 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,963 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

It is BS.. I like how they said, "None of the games on the Pac-12 Network schedule feature any nationally ranked opponents based on either the current Associated Press or USA Today Coaches' Poll."

Really??? http://espn.go.com/c...otball/rankings
Shows USC is ranked 13.. That's just this week.

That says opponents, meaning both ranked.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#53 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

First the offers were the same. Then the Dish deal included exclusives. Now they say the deals were, "fundamentally similar."

Oh ya, BIG and HUGE Lies.. Larry Scott should be ashamed.. In fact, now he should give it away for free because Directv deserves it.. :confused:

#54 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

That says opponents, meaning both ranked.

First.. :icon_lame

2nd, but then they show these games on the Big10 network.. HMM.

Central Michigan at Iowa
UAB at Ohio State(16)
Eastern Michigan at Michigan State(21)
Idaho State at Nebraska(25)
South Dakota at Northwestern
Louisiana Tech at Illinois
Syracuse at Minnesota

I said it was BS to make the claims they only want to show RANKED TEAMS, but they deny the Pac12 and put this up?

#55 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

Oh ya, BIG and HUGE Lies.. Larry Scott should be ashamed.. In fact, now he should give it away for free because Directv deserves it.. :confused:

No, he should offer a fair deal for his product. His bargaining power falls off substantially after this weekend. The network is the side missing the potential revenue, not DirecTV. If a PAC-12 fan really wants their network, they can choose to switch to a different provider.

The PAC-12 Network is missing out on the revenue from 20 million potential viewers. DirecTV only loses revenue from those customers who leave over not having a lone, very specialized, and unestablished network. The math becomes pretty simple. Either the PAC-12 Network needs to make an offer to DirecTV with rates that make sense or they must prove their value. That haven't done either.

#56 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

No, he should offer a fair deal for his product. His bargaining power falls off substantially after this weekend. The network is the side missing the potential revenue, not DirecTV. If a PAC-12 fan really wants their network, they can choose to switch to a different provider.

The PAC-12 Network is missing out on the revenue from 20 million potential viewers. DirecTV only loses revenue from those customers who leave over not having a lone, very specialized, and unestablished network. The math becomes pretty simple. Either the PAC-12 Network needs to offer DirecTV with rates that make sense or they must prove their value. That haven't done either.

I agree not having the network on Directv is missed a missed opportunity, but Larry Scott says this....
“In an ideal world, if I could've scripted it, you'd have all of them, but from what I'm told that never really happens when you're launching a network. If you look where we are, three weeks into it, I think we've got over 40 agreements, four out of the top five distributors between Time Warner, Comcast, Cox and now Dish. I think it's probably on par if not better than any other launch that's ever taken place. It ranks up there in terms of early success for any network. These things take time with all distributors, and we're hopeful that the distributors that don't have it not only see the quality of games we have on, the quality of the content, but also are responsive to their fans and their customers in the same way Dish and other cable companies have been. We're confident that those who don't have it, their customers will be responsive to the customers, the fans.”

That being said it's not a do or die deal if they don't agree quite yet or even this year.. I guess it takes time..
Also, I'm not jumping ship yet, I get the Pac12 Networks for free right now.. Best of both worlds, I got the Sunday Ticket and Redzone for a total of $80 plus I can stream all Pac12 Networks via Laptop to the TV.. It looks great and wish everyone could see what I'm seeing in terms of Pac12 network coverage..

#57 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'd take the Longhorn deal too, even though I think UT should have joined the PAC16. :) It's about adding sports, not denying us. If we have to get Big10 on the basic channels, then I want PAC12 too.

It's about adding things at a price customers would be willing to pay. He'll, come February there will be tons of posts here because the bill for service will go up $3 to $4 per month. I for one don't want to see my bill go up $7 or $8 per month because RSN's got added, IMHO RSN's need to go ala cart.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#58 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I agree not having the network on Directv is missed a missed opportunity, but Larry Scott says this....
“In an ideal world, if I could've scripted it, you'd have all of them, but from what I'm told that never really happens when you're launching a network. If you look where we are, three weeks into it, I think we've got over 40 agreements, four out of the top five distributors between Time Warner, Comcast, Cox and now Dish. I think it's probably on par if not better than any other launch that's ever taken place. It ranks up there in terms of early success for any network. These things take time with all distributors, and we're hopeful that the distributors that don't have it not only see the quality of games we have on, the quality of the content, but also are responsive to their fans and their customers in the same way Dish and other cable companies have been. We're confident that those who don't have it, their customers will be responsive to the customers, the fans.”

That being said it's not a do or die deal if they don't agree quite yet or even this year.. I guess it takes time..

Those deals he gloats about not for national distribution, with the exception of Dish Network. Some of them are for small cable systems and others are limited to specific locations/systems within the larger cable operators. Small potatoes compared to DirecTV.

Also...

“In an ideal world, if I could've scripted it, you'd have all of them, but from what I'm told that never really happens when you're launching a network."

Wow...maybe this guy should stick to typical conference business and allow someone else to speak on behalf of the network if he isn't aware of something so simple.

#59 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

The PAC-12 Network is missing out on the revenue from 20 million potential viewers. DirecTV only loses revenue from those customers who leave over not having a lone, very specialized, and unestablished network. The math becomes pretty simple. Either the PAC-12 Network needs to make an offer to DirecTV with rates that make sense or they must prove their value. That haven't done either.

The Pac 12 is offering a fair deal. At least the same approximate deal they have offered all providers. If the Pac 12 took the Directv offer they would lose a lot of money when it came time came to renegotiate the other 40+ providers they have existinng contracts with.

What about the Big 10 Network, ESPN multiple channels, all the sports league channels and even most of the regular entertainment channels that could be in their own tiers. I don't blame Directv for not carrying the Pac 12 Network but probably there is no way it gets put in the RSN tier. It would just cost the Pac 12 Network to much money in the furture and a lot of unhappy providers and even some Directv customers. I would gladly pay for the sports package or the Pac 12 Network's own package but it won't happen.

#60 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

It's about adding things at a price customers would be willing to pay. He'll, come February there will be tons of posts here because the bill for service will go up $3 to $4 per month. I for one don't want to see my bill go up $7 or $8 per month because RSN's got added, IMHO RSN's need to go ala cart.

I totally agree.. If Directv decides to move the Big10 to the Sports Pack (probably can't because of BIG10 contract) and then add Pac12 along with all other sports into a sports tier, I think that's more than fair.. I would more than pay for that! :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...