Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#601 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Oh geez... I feel your pain. I really dislike those late games and would much rather watch from my couch than drive home from Corvallis at 11 o'clock at night.

Maybe the clouds will part and we'll see some movement on the DIRECTV/PAC-12 front. I'd better start calling around for hotel accommodations though...

Yea, I'm hoping and praying civil war (just got tickets) is a noon or 3:30 game. I can't imagine the traffic nightmare of a7:30 pm game.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

http://www.sportsbus...os-Angeles.aspx

According to the SBD article, the PAC-12 Net is only asking $.80 per sub. That seems reasonible to me.

#603 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

http://www.sportsbus...os-Angeles.aspx

According to the SBD article, the PAC-12 Net is only asking $.80 per sub. That seems reasonible to me.

$0.80 at 6 channels (which the Pac-12 wants DirecTV to carry is ....) $3.20 for the package, which Pac-12 doesn't want to split up to DirecTV

And that $0.80 probably is not the rate for pac-12 national, probably like $1.20 or so, so that $3.20 is more like $3.60

#604 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Oh geez... I feel your pain. I really dislike those late games and would much rather watch from my couch than drive home from Corvallis at 11 o'clock at night.

Maybe the clouds will part and we'll see some movement on the DIRECTV/PAC-12 front. I'd better start calling around for hotel accommodations though...

yea it sucked last week. I didn't home to metro Portland until 2am in the morning. These national TV games from ESPN have tons of commercials and the game just takes forever.

It's ridiculous, the few hotels in Corvallis generally want two nights minimum during game days.

This new Pac 12 TV contract is great for the viewer, but goodness, it's killing the in stadium fan. In the long term I can't see renewing the seats if this is the new normal. I can watch at home and not be exhausted.

#605 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yea and we don't find out the kick off time for the civil war until the 18th. Imagine in the pac-12 puts it on at 7:30. You won't get home until 4am with all the traffic

#606 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Well, tomorrow's Arizona State-USC game is the first time for me that there is a game I would absolutely have checked out, but cannot. Bummer. :(

Sandra

#607 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Well, tomorrow's Arizona State-USC game is the first time for me that there is a game I would absolutely have checked out, but cannot. Bummer. :(

Sandra

USC by 17+...easy win.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#608 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

USC by 17+...easy win.

No matter who wins I would definitely like to check the game out...disappointed that I cannot.

Sandra

#609 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

No matter who wins I would definitely like to check the game out...disappointed that I cannot.

Sandra

More so than Oregon St verse Stanford or Texas A&M vs Alabama?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#610 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNogales, Arizona

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

There was an article in this morning's Arizona Daily Star stating that the PAC-12 was requesting $.90 per sub. I'm a big Arizona Basketball fan, so while I was disappointed that certain football games were not aired on Directv I am pretty upset that 11 basketball games will not be aired.

I find it unacceptable that Directpromise.com/pac12 refers those of us affected to the online radio streams even though sports cannot be streamed via the internet. Everytime I am forced to miss a game, I will be calling both the PAC-12 and Directv to express my disdain.

HR34-700, HR22-100, C31 x3

#611 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

There was an article in this morning's Arizona Daily Star stating that the PAC-12 was requesting $.90 per sub. I'm a big Arizona Basketball fan, so while I was disappointed that certain football games were not aired on Directv I am pretty upset that 11 basketball games will not be aired.

I find it unacceptable that Directpromise.com/pac12 refers those of us affected to the online radio streams even though sports cannot be streamed via the internet. Everytime I am forced to miss a game, I will be calling both the PAC-12 and Directv to express my disdain.

Since no one will go on the record the per sub price is still unconfirmed. a week ago is was $0.80 a sub. But I think that is per channel and Pac-12 only wants to sell a package of 7 channels ..

#612 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

More so than Oregon St verse Stanford or Texas A&M vs Alabama?

Lots of interesting games to check out this week, especially since my favorite team...THE Ohio State Buckeyes...is off.

Arizona State-USC, Oregon State-Stanford, Baylor-Oklahoma, Texas A&M-Alabama, and Kansas State-TCU will all have my attention. I'll also drop in on other games with conference ramifications as time allows.

Just a little bummed that for the first time in a very long time one of the games I would definitely check out is not available to me.

I pay DirecTV an insane amount of money per month, and I'm certainly willing to pay insane-plus-x to have all the games I want to see available to me.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Sandra

Edited by Sandra, 09 November 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#613 OFFLINE   Will94

Will94

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

I've got DirecTV and SportsPack and don't get the Pac 12 Network nor do I get the startup Comcast SportsNet Houston. I don't give a rat's *** about the Rockets, but there's something wrong with paying what I do and not even getting my local team.

The Pac 12 network has carried a number of games this season that I would have watched because I am a night owl and love late night, West Coast football. However, it's hard to justify paying for more than one channel of it outside of certain college football Saturdays when they carry multiple games.
"The Big 12 is the type of family where the reunions end with someone waving a knife and screaming 'I'll cut all of you!' as the police pull into the driveway."
- From an si.com piece on the Big 12

#614 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Lots of interesting games to check out this week, especially since my favorite team...THE Ohio State Buckeyes...is off.

Arizona State-USC, Oregon State-Stanford, Baylor-Oklahoma, Texas A&M-Alabama, and Kansas State-TCU will all have my attention. I'll also drop in on other games with conference ramifications as time allows.

Just a little bummed that for the first time in a very long time one of the games I would definitely check out is not available to me.

I pay DirecTV an insane amount of money per month, and I'm certainly willing to pay insane-plus-x to have all the games I want to see available to me.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Sandra

Just want to note, I was asking out of curiosity and not attacking what you like. :)

I'll miss P12 for basketball (Arizona), but since all important games were available nationally I haven't missed it much.

#615 OFFLINE   DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

One mans "important games" might not be the same as anothers.

Just want to note, I was asking out of curiosity and not attacking what you like. :)

I'll miss P12 for basketball (Arizona), but since all important games were available nationally I haven't missed it much.

#616 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

It's funny seeing pac-12 or xfinity/pac-12 commercials on directv.

The amount of irony on both sides is funny to me; one side hoping for customers and the other trying to cash in on their new mantra.

Another thing, burying the discussion here--while keeping the lakers discussion in full view--while both having equally bad rhetoric is telling...

#617 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

One mans "important games" might not be the same as anothers.

This.

Just based off the price being rumored, I can not believe the Pac-12 wants the money that they are asking for with carriers.

The idea of DirecTV giving in and forcing the price onto a country that for the high, high majority will never watch OR will watch at most 2-3 times a year?

Holy goodness, please no. I find it irrelevant if others say "Well, I hate Channel X and I pay for it!"....so what? Why should we keep giving in to these regional channels with pathetic national programming outside of a few games a year?

#618 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Well, I can't believe it either- that is, if anything like $4 is being demanded nationally. I could understand that amount if it were limited to subs in the Pac12 area, then divided among the rest of the sub base, guessing it'd be closer to a buck per sub. Not really palatable, but not to choke over.

Does anyone really have a line on what prices are in play? Rumor websites don't count....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#619 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I do appreciate the passion of the PAC12 viewer base, but this pretty much sums it up for me:

The idea of DirecTV giving in and forcing the price onto a country that for the high, high majority will never watch OR will watch at most 2-3 times a year?....

Very succinctly put.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#620 OFFLINE   reverett1522

reverett1522

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yea, some of the network picks are kind of interesting.

ESPN, FOX/FX, Pac12Net rotate the order they get to pick games so you'll see some matchups that in the past would have been on ESPN as a "premiere" matchup on all networks throughout the season.

spam firewall