Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#641 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

They won't lose their exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket. The NFL wants it limited to a single provider and DirecTV will have first dibs at signing a new deal. It's DirecTV's crown jewel. It isn't going anywhere.

It's entirely possible that Directv's Mike White does not like any increase in programming costs and plays hardball.

Really Directv carries the advantage here - it's the only system that has nationwide access (other than Dish). If Directv played hardball then NFL would be stuck negotiating with individual systems across the country to keep the same access level.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#642 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

NFL required a significant increase for the extension on their contract that runs through next year, I believe.

One of two things will probably happen:

1. NFL expands out of market distribution significantly.
2. NFL raises the cost even more, by a large margin, for DirecTV to maintain their exclusive position.

#643 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

NFL required a significant increase for the extension on their contract that runs through next year, I believe.

2. NFL raises the cost even more, by a large margin, for DirecTV to maintain their exclusive position.

The NFL wants it to be exclusive and limited to one provider. This is by far the most significant agreement in regards to adding and retaining customers. It isn't going anywhere. It never has. There is a reason for that. How many times must this be explained?
DTV = Digital Television

#644 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

The NFL wants it to be exclusive and limited to one provider. This is by far the most significant agreement in regards to adding and retaining customers. It isn't going anywhere. It never has. There is a reason for that. How many times must this be explained?

Some people just don't adapt to change, which is always inevitable..

#645 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Perhaps....two points though, Michael White has complained vigorously about sports costs climbing out of control and has publicly stated he's not putting up with it (despite following the same on his 100% owned sports channels)

But at the same time, how many customers get Directv simply because of NFL Sunday Ticket and would drop if available elsewhere?

#646 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

What Mr. White says and what he actually does is mutually exclusive.

Like I said, if the NFL does keep DirecTV as their exclusive provider, they will pay, a lot.

They had to pay A LOT MORE just to get a measly extension, let alone a new contract. That alone says a lot if the NFL wasn't willing to grant them another X year exclusive contract, instead ripping DirecTV for a tiny extension while they figure things out.

So NFL, get DirecTV IMO, for all they're worth. Or just expand distribution and get even more. You cannot lose either way.

#647 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

One final blast of disgust towards D* and its attitude of denial and dis-respect on this last day of the PAC-12 Net showing football.
If my circumstances were different, I would have dumped D* last summer over this.

#648 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

One final blast of disgust towards D* and its attitude of denial and dis-respect on this last day of the PAC-12 Net showing football.
If my circumstances were different, I would have dumped D* last summer over this.

It's too bad that the folks behind the PAC-12 Network never made DirecTV an offer they felt was worth accepting. Hopefully they will be able to keep some of their more prominent games on their own network over the next year and increase their perceived value. They came out of the gate way too ****y and made the disappointing decision to use taxpayer funded university employees as PR mouth pieces to bash the the largest and most powerful national television provider in the country. It was bungled by the PAC-12 Network from the beginning.

DirecTV certainly hasn't appeared to be suffering from the lack of the PAC-12 Network.
DTV = Digital Television

#649 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

It's too bad that the folks behind the PAC-12 Network never made DirecTV an offer they felt was worth accepting. Hopefully they will be able to keep some of their more prominent games on their own network over the next year and increase their perceived value. They came out of the gate way too ****y and made the disappointing decision to use taxpayer funded university employees as PR mouth pieces to bash the the largest and most powerful national television provider in the country. It was bungled by the PAC-12 Network from the beginning.

DirecTV certainly hasn't appeared to be suffering from the lack of the PAC-12 Network.

Nice to see that the end of the football season hasn't detered you jingoistic factless attittude towards D*.
According (again) to Jon Wilner who wrote on Wednesday "As I’ve written numerous times, the conference cannot cave: It must hold its ground with DirecTV and Charter, which have been offered essentially the same deal as Comcast and DISH and all the other providers that have reached a carriage deal."

Thanks for nothing D*.

#650 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Nice to see that the end of the football season hasn't detered you jingoistic factless attittude towards D*.
According (again) to Jon Wilner who wrote on Wednesday "As I’ve written numerous times, the conference cannot cave: It must hold its ground with DirecTV and Charter, which have been offered essentially the same deal as Comcast and DISH and all the other providers that have reached a carriage deal."

Thanks for nothing D*.

Which we all know is a lie. It's not the same deal. It was never the same deal. Wilner is a same hack who has been peddling PAC-12 propaganda from the start in his poorly written and formatted pieces.
DTV = Digital Television

#651 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,876 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Before it gets too far, lets keep it civil. Make your points without making it personal.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#652 OFFLINE   DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Which we all know is a lie. It's not the same deal. It was never the same deal. Wilner is a same hack who has been peddling PAC-12 propaganda from the start in his poorly written and formatted pieces.

Unless you can provide copies of the deals you are just as much of lie telling hack

#653 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Unless you can provide copies of the deals you are just as much of lie telling hack

Read their own statements. The deal with Dish has exclusives, yet they tried to claim it was Identical.
DTV = Digital Television

#654 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

I assume then you have access to the same information as Wilner, who writes for the Bay Area News Group which covers Walnut Creek, headquarter city of the PAC-12, and Bruce Jenkins who writes for the San Francisco Chronicle, headquarter city for the PAC-12 Net. Both of these writers have offered the pretty much the same information: that D* passed on the virtually the same deal that was accepted by the other carriers. That same information has been quoted over and over, but still denied by most D* apologists.

#655 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I assume then you have access to the same information as Wilner, who writes for the Bay Area News Group which covers Walnut Creek, headquarter city of the PAC-12, and Bruce Jenkins who writes for the San Francisco Chronicle, headquarter city for the PAC-12 Net. Both of these writers have offered the pretty much the same information: that D* passed on the virtually the same deal that was accepted by the other carriers. That same information has been quoted over and over, but still denied by most D* apologists.

Same deal? That's what they claim, yet their own statement contradict that.
DTV = Digital Television

#656 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Same deal? That's what they claim, yet their own statement contradict that.

From all I read (which you always claim to us is incorrect) the deals are/were the same minus one thing. Dish has exclusive in stadium advertising. If you watch Pac 12 games you'll notice Dish signs in the stadiums. Other than that, everything else has been the same deal. In my general area 3 providers haven't reached an agreement with Pac 12 networks: DirecTV, ATT, and Charter. Of that ATT really doesn't seem to matter as they have a small overall footprint in Nor Cal. Charter owns part of the Lake Tahoe market and all of the Reno/Sparks/Carson City area. Comcast, Suddenlink, Dish, Astound/Wave, and Frontier all have agreements in place, that's the vast majority of the Nor Cal market.

I saw a posting today from a larger sports bar that added Dish to their mix just for their Pac 12 fans (they operate 7 bars 24 hrs a day with 30+ TVs). They had been all DirecTV up until this switch. I am sure many of the Reno/Tahoe sports books also made a switch to add Dish to cover Pac 12 games.

As for your personal attacks on Jon Wilner as a "hack," I don't know many "hacks" writting for one of the largest newspapers in the country, having a vote in the AP poll and having a direct connection to a large Conf like the Pac 12. All writers have their sources, that is what makes a good writer........SEC, B1G, ACC etc all have writers they get info to when they want it out.

#657 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

So some folks are still claiming that something be both identical and different simultaneously.
DTV = Digital Television

#658 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

We all know it is a lie and not the same deal?

Really now, so the Pac 12 is offering substantially different terms to Directv than everyone else? Really, and we all know this? Sounds like you are more of the propaganda arm for Directv more than anything else.

#659 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

We all know it is a lie and not the same deal?

Really now, so the Pac 12 is offering substantially different terms to Directv than everyone else? Really, and we all know this? Sounds like you are more of the propaganda arm for Directv more than anything else.

We know that the PAC-12 Network execs have claimed that the offers were nearly the same, identical, and different as various times. We also know that they cannot be all of those things at once. So what are we supposed to believe? Which of their multiple statements is the truth and which ones are the lies?
DTV = Digital Television

#660 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

We know that the PAC-12 Network execs have claimed that the offers were nearly the same, identical, and different as various times. We also know that they cannot be all of those things at once. So what are we supposed to believe? Which of their multiple statements is the truth and which ones are the lies?

Huh? Pac 12 officials have claimed that the offers to all providers are substantially the same. When have they claimed one provider has a different deal than the other?

Most providers have a favored clause with any deal they do, meaning if there is a better deal offered to someone else then they get that deal.

Really when 4 of the top 5 providers are online and 8 of the top 10, you seriously think Pac 12 folks are lying? I cannot believe this for a minute. I do believe, however, that Directv officials have not been completely forthcoming. For months they told us to hang tight, then they said they'd have an update "closer to when school starts," then when school started they got up and walked away.

No way I buy Pac 12 officials doing something substantially different from provider to provider. Fact remains that Directv does not have it - and that's OK. They just should be honest and say "we do not intend to carry it" rather than all the bull$hit statements they issued that made it look like they wanted to carry it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...