Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#701 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

http://www.sfgate.co...eal-4082632.php

Scott spent the season lamenting DirecTV's blase attitude during the negotiations (which apparently stopped cold about a month ago), and he's undoubtedly correct. But there has to be a stage in which public demand carries the day. Drop the tug-of-war and get it right.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#702 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

A fair assessment of Larry Scott:

For all the refreshing intrigue that surrounded the Pac-12 Conference football season, Commissioner Larry Scott has to acknowledge one thing: From a television standpoint, it was a dismal failure.

Instead of getting a deal done, he wasted time insulting DirecTV.
DTV = Digital Television

#703 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Any love here for Stanford in winning the PAC-12 championship in an exciting game against UCLA?

Go Cardinal!

All Right Now, baby, It's All Right Now.

The Cardinal should be playing for a national championship, and ND has no business being in the top 10.

Kevin Hogan, 4-0 as starter, and a freshman.

In a rematch, Stanford would beat ND by at least 3 touchdowns.

And it would beat Alabama by 1.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#704 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

A fair assessment of Larry Scott:

Quote:
For all the refreshing intrigue that surrounded the Pac-12 Conference football season, Commissioner Larry Scott has to acknowledge one thing: From a television standpoint, it was a dismal failure.

Instead of getting a deal done, he wasted time insulting DirecTV.

I disagree. This column is from a guy who doesn't even cover the college game. He's no more informed than a clown.

Bay Area already has the Top Pac 12 guru in Jon Wilner. You can read Mr. Wilner columns and blogs, knowing full well he does his homework and knows the Pac 12 better than anyone else OR you can read this garbage from a guy who doesn't even know the college game. I guess if you want the uninformed route take Mr. Jenkin's blog. It's certainly not gospel or informative.

#705 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

I disagree. This column is from a guy who doesn't even cover the college game. He's no more informed than a clown.

Bay Area already has the Top Pac 12 guru in Jon Wilner. You can read Mr. Wilner columns and blogs, knowing full well he does his homework and knows the Pac 12 better than anyone else OR you can read this garbage from a guy who doesn't even know the college game. I guess if you want the uninformed route take Mr. Jenkin's blog. It's certainly not gospel or informative.

I have read Wilner's poorly written and formatted work. It is of very poor quality:
DTV = Digital Television

#706 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

I have read Wilner's poorly written and formatted work. It is of very poor quality:

To each their own. At least Mr. Wilner covers the college game and actually talks to the Pac 12 folks, finds facts, confirms facts, and investigates his sources to make sure the facts are accurate.

This Jenkins guy has not even written one college column this year. That's telling.

#707 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'm not a big fan of Wilner but if your trying to say this hack is a better writer and more informed it is no wonder you stick up blindly for Directv.

#708 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

BTW, I'm not jumping ship yet, but I do keep thinking about it.. I wonder how much longer it takes me to finally persuade the family to take a different direction.

From what I read in the media.... the deal is SO far off, and they are SO much at disagreement.... it doesn't become a question of "how long before a deal is reached", but a "how long can i go on without PAC12 before I switch".

With football season PRACTICALLY over, (all remaining games are playoffs and on national channels), there really is no reason to do anything about PAC12 until next season. Basketball may simply not have enough pull for DirecTV.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#709 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

From what I read in the media.... the deal is SO far off, and they are SO much at disagreement.... it doesn't become a question of "how long before a deal is reached", but a "how long can i go on without PAC12 before I switch".

With football season PRACTICALLY over, (all remaining games are playoffs and on national channels), there really is no reason to do anything about PAC12 until next season. Basketball may simply not have enough pull for DirecTV.

What?? I wrote that months ago before I switched... I am very happy with Dish now and happily got to watch 5-6 games of Cougar Football on the Pac12 Networks and now tons of Basketball..

Why are you quoting something I wrote back in September?

#710 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm not a big fan of Wilner but if your trying to say this hack is a better writer and more informed it is no wonder you stick up blindly for Directv.

Agreed 100%

#711 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

It doesn't bother me. I have the channel and if Directv comes to a deal in August or September of next year then I would gladly pay the early cancellation fee to Dish network. In the meantime I get the benfit of the station either way. Just like when Directv dropped versus, I didn't lose the channel I added cable for the exact length it was out. Only this time I missed some games because the channel wasn't available on any carrier in this area before dish network added it.

#712 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

I have also already switched to Dish from Directv and glad I did. I'm happy with Dish and love the Pac 12 Network. I also know of at least 3 people that will be switching to Dish if Directv doesn't get the Pac 12 Network before the start of football next year. I just talked to one person and they won't even wait until the season starts.

I'm also happy that I will be able to see almost all the Ducks men's basketball games this year.

#713 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

I have also already switched to Dish from Directv and glad I did. I'm happy with Dish and love the Pac 12 Network. I also know of at least 3 people that will be switching to Dish if Directv doesn't get the Pac 12 Network before the start of football next year. I just talked to one person and they won't even wait until the season starts.

I'm also happy that I will be able to see almost all the Ducks men's basketball games this year.

I converted too and Dish is fine, I can find nothing substantially different other than Dish has ESPNU in SD only, but you can get the Pac 12 Network. I am sure someone somewhere can find a significant difference in something, but for most practical users, I cannot find a major difference....plus with all of that my package total cost is less even when the discounts expire. Now hopefully the status quo will continue because I left Dish almost five years ago because they pulled my ABC station off for 8 months. Hopefully that won't continue....

#714 OFFLINE   reason43

reason43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm wondering if there are a significant number of subs with Sunday Ticket who will switch after the NFL season winds down so they can catch the PAC-12 in-conference basketball season starting in January. I don't care about ST but I will miss a lot of basketball games if I don't pull the trigger and switch after the first of the year. Also, I believe that the mix channels for the golf and tennis majors are on D* but not Dish. I do enjoy those.

#715 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Speaking of which, are you happy with the Hopper? I am and think the switch was a great decision..

#716 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm wondering if there are a significant number of subs with Sunday Ticket who will switch after the NFL season winds down so they can catch the PAC-12 in-conference basketball season starting in January. I don't care about ST but I will miss a lot of basketball games if I don't pull the trigger and switch after the first of the year. Also, I believe that the mix channels for the golf and tennis majors are on D* but not Dish. I do enjoy those.

I've already seen a handful of BB games on Pac12 and there are many more scheduled for the month of December.. The cool thing about Dish, is the Redzone.. I feel I get all the best of the games in little snippets.. Don't really miss ST and have saved a ton of money.. But this isn't about whether Dish or Directv is better, but at least with DISH we have Pac12 Networks.. Despite a couple of people who claim otherwise, the visible difference between the two is ZERO.. I can't tell and I am picky about my HD..

Just my 2 cents

#717 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Really disappointed I cannot watch the Southern Miss-Arizona basketball game on the Pac-12 Network tonight....very interesting game.

Sandra

#718 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Speaking of which, are you happy with the Hopper? I am and think the switch was a great decision..

Yes, I love the hopper. They only little problem I have is on Sunday nights. I have all my shows that I like running between 6:00-9:00PM on Sunday night which has had my wife an daughter a little upset they can't record much if at all. It will be fine starting this weekend though with TWD on mid-season break. I even thought about getting a second hopper but normally I wouldn't need it. I just wish the shows I want to record would be spread out a little.

I like TWD, Dexter, Homeland, Talking Dead, Comic book men all showing on Sunday night.

#719 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

The Hopper is awesome.

I do wish that on the internet apps for the Hopper they'd make seperate Apps for all of the Pac 12 channels so we can watch the channels we don't get by streaming it through the internet.

#720 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Really disappointed I cannot watch the Southern Miss-Arizona basketball game on the Pac-12 Network tonight....very interesting game.

Sandra

common over to Dish. Join the group of us that left Directv because of this.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...