Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#741 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

And what does this have to do with Pac12 Networks?

You must not have actually read the post.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#742 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Enjoy your HD lite, fewer HD channels, and constant/lengthy retrans disputes. Dish Network has been scrounging for the leftovers for 16 years and that shows no signs of changing. I simply prefer the premier provider over the cheap knock off.

^^^^^^^^ what does this have to do with the Pac12?

#743 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

AGAIN, what does this have to do with the Pac12?

So, you don't have any. Got it. You could have said it was a baseless assumption from the beginning and saved yourself some time. Let me know when enough people leave that it actually matters. With 20+ million customers...good luck. Enjoy your HD lite, fewer HD channels, and constant/lengthy retrans disputes. Dish Network has been scrounging for the leftovers for 16 years and that shows no signs of changing. I simply prefer the premier provider over the cheap knock off.

DTV = Digital Television

#744 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Please explain to me what HD light, carriage disputes etc have to do with Pac12 Networks... You're not answering the question... Despite your plea for proof of subscriber attrition, the rant about superiority does nothing to help the thread in a civil discourse about PAC12 networks..

#745 ONLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Dennis Dobbs (National college football writer for CBSSports.com) tweets:
"Where do you stand with DIRECTV P12N asked. I'm told DIRECTV wasn't going to do a deal with Dish signage at all the P12 venues."
And another tweet by Bryan Fischer (Senior correspondent for Pac-12 Digital):
"PAC12 Network deal with DIRECTV could be next week...or a few years away.- (PAC 12 Net GM) Lydia Murphy-Stevens."
It appears that D* hasn't been real honest as to their REAL objection to carrying the PAC-12 Net. I wouldn't hold my breath that there will ever be a deal. And the sad thing is that it could have been D* signage at all the venues.

#746 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Please explain to me what HD light, carriage disputes etc have to do with Pac12 Networks... You're not answering the question... Despite your plea for proof of subscriber attrition, the rant about superiority does nothing to help the thread in a civil discourse about PAC12 networks..

It's what he always says about Dish. Just ignore him.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#747 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

It's what he always says about Dish. Just ignore him.

It continues to be correct as Dish is a second tier service.
DTV = Digital Television

#748 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

So if Dish was the only company to carry the stations you wanted, then what? For us it happens to be the pac 12 network. Although I have both services.

#749 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Not sure why you are always allowed to litter these threads without some moderation. This is about Pac-12, not who is the better service provider. Since you pronounce yourself as a Hoosier fan, you most likely are not upset at all for the lack of the Pac 12 because the Big 10 is right there on 610.

So, how about giving some sympathy for people who are missing some of their favorite teams instead of pounding away at the same points that you litter most every thread with.

We missed several UofA football games this season. How many Hoosier games did you not have available?

#750 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

By your extreme, minority definition. I mean, really. For the less than 1% who somehow notice your so-called "HD-Lite", possibly. Or you've ninja-tin-foil-hatted yourself into believing there's a significant difference, which is always a possibility...but the prudent route is to stop trolling people. There's no "winner" based on what satellite service you subscribe to. None.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#751 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

So, you don't have any. Got it. You could have said it was a baseless assumption from the beginning and saved yourself some time. Let me know when enough people leave that it actually matters. With 20+ million customers...good luck. Enjoy your HD lite, fewer HD channels, and constant/lengthy retrans disputes. Dish Network has been scrounging for the leftovers for 16 years and that shows no signs of changing. I simply prefer the premier provider over the cheap knock off.

Oh really, somehow you have latched onto that there is no way that even 35 people could have switched to Dish Network because of the Pac 12 Network. Seriously, I personally know nine people besides myself, not to mention all of the folks here, which is far greater than 35.

My installer back in early October said he was working mandatory overtime every day to cover new installs, they had the same staff size for several years and have not added, but the orders keep coming in. Said they were working 6 12 hr days a week. Good money he said, but it was tiring. Most were interested in the Hopper and secondarily Pac 12 Network.

"HD lite?" I've heard both providers offer many channels in a compressed format. I do not know, but frankly I have no observed any difference.

"Constant/Retrans Disputes?" Are there some? Yes, but constant, not at all. Read the news - it's Directv that seems to have having the most trouble right now.

Fewer HD? Maybe, but for what most of us watch it's hardly less. I am not even sure that this is true anyway, but if it is, then so what if I don't watch those channels? Some things matter in life and beyond ESPU I cannot find anything that I watch not in HD.

We can go on and on, but for 98% of folks Dish does just fine...again, have fun paying more for less!

#752 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

.PROVE It!

#753 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hey guys ... let's stick with PAC-12 discussion here. DirecTV vs DISH will not be solved in this thread.

<<< Consider this the line >>>

:backtotop

#754 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

We missed several UofA football games this season. How many Hoosier games did you not have available?

Well, considering the sad state of Hoosier football, hopefully for his sake most of their games were NOT available this year! ;)

Sandra

#755 OFFLINE   shaun007miller

shaun007miller

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

As much as I want the Pac-12 Network, I'm simply unable to give up my NFL ST because one game was exclusive. I'm a Duck fan, but to switch for one game just didn't make any sense for me. Anyway, are there any updates as to why the deal is not done? Other than the official nonsense that Scott and DTV have released. Plus, I just don't see why DTV would even worry about carrying the channel until next season, with the Pac 12 not being a strong basketball conference.

#756 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

with the Pac 12 not being a strong basketball conference.

Isn't that sad?? What happened?? The Mountain West BB is stronger than the Pac12. Oh well...

#757 ONLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

As much as I want the Pac-12 Network, I'm simply unable to give up my NFL ST because one game was exclusive. I'm a Duck fan, but to switch for one game just didn't make any sense for me. Anyway, are there any updates as to why the deal is not done? Other than the official nonsense that Scott and DTV have released. Plus, I just don't see why DTV would even worry about carrying the channel until next season, with the Pac 12 not being a strong basketball conference.

As I wrote Thursday:
Dennis Dobbs (National college football writer for CBSSports.com) tweets:
"Where do you stand with DIRECTV P12N asked. I'm told DIRECTV wasn't going to do a deal with Dish signage at all the P12 venues."
And another tweet by Bryan Fischer (Senior correspondent for Pac-12 Digital):
"PAC12 Network deal with DIRECTV could be next week...or a few years away.- (PAC 12 Net GM) Lydia Murphy-Stevens."
It appears that D* hasn't been real honest as to their REAL objection to carrying the PAC-12 Net. I wouldn't hold my breath that there will ever be a deal. And the sad thing is that it could have been D* signage at all the venues.

#758 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,704 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

TV technical union strikes against Pac-12 Networks

#759 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

If it was tweeted, it must be true.

Give me a break! You really think it's due to signage in some arenas? If so, precious little pro sports would be televised if that were the attitude of broadcasters and/or carriers.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#760 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

I will probably vote partly with my wallet this spring and cancel MLB EI for mlb.tv and when they ask why say, "You don't carry the Pac-12 Network, so I'm cutting back on spending with you until such time as I cut back all my spending with you." The latter half is in the TBD category, but in the meantime, I can trim programming a few times to make the point as we take services above and beyond the basic package and I can deliver that message several times.

spam firewall