Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

The Pac 12 is offering a fair deal.

Proof?

At least the same approximate deal they have offered all providers.

That is false. Like I said - first they claimed it was the same offer, then we learned of the exclusives to Dish, and now they say they are fundamentally the same. More falsehoods from a commissioner who is a fish out of water in a retrans negotiation and has backed himself into a corner with a network losing product value only a few weeks into the season. A tiny portion of people may leave DirecTV over this, but not enough to force DirecTV into a bad deal.

#62 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

Proof?

That is false. Like I said - first they claimed it was the same offer, then we learned of the exclusives to Dish, and now they say they are fundamentally the same. More falsehoods from a commissioner who is a fish out of water in a retrans negotiation and has backed himself into a corner with a network losing product value only a few weeks into the season.

You give me proof they are not! If you read what Directv has been saying it is wanting to put the Pac 12 Network in it's own or the RSN tier. That is what they are saying is unreasonable not that the Pac 12 is trying to charge them more then anybody else. This is also what the Pac 12 has been saying. Of coarse all deals are a little different but very close. The Dish exclusive signage probably could have been Directv if they wanted and had sign with the Pac 12 first.

Also if the Pac 12 Network went in the sports package they wouldn't have 20 million customers. Maybe 1 million if that much. I actually would like to see all sports go to their own package or allow to purchase only the channels you would want but the providers won't let that happen

#63 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

Proof?

That is false. Like I said - first they claimed it was the same offer, then we learned of the exclusives to Dish, and now they say they are fundamentally the same. More falsehoods from a commissioner who is a fish out of water in a retrans negotiation and has backed himself into a corner with a network losing product value only a few weeks into the season. A tiny portion of people may leave DirecTV over this, but not enough to force DirecTV into a bad deal.

And here we go again.. Back and forth over who's giving who the better deal.. How do we know that Direct wasn't offered the exclusives 1st.. Maybe they gambled and took a pass, but then Dish came up and bought into it. Now the deal is "MAYBE SIMILAR". Just a guess. I wouldn't presume to call either team a liar, but I called BS on Directv saying they were only showing "Ranked Opponents" when in fact they are not with the BIG10 channels this weekend..

That same Commissioner who "is a fish out of water", successfully expanded the Pac10 to 12 teams, negotiated a huge contract with ESPN and Fox to grant each school $30 million a YEAR, and got Dish and 4 of the largest cable companies in the country and more than 40 others, one of which is the LARGEST --- Comcast. So, is this guy a fish out of water? The Jury is out!

#64 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

And here we go again.. Back and forth over who's giving who the better deal.. How do we know that Direct wasn't offered the exclusives 1st.. Maybe they gambled and took a pass, but then Dish came up and bought into it. Now the deal is "MAYBE SIMILAR". Just a guess. I wouldn't presume to call either team a liar, but I called BS on Directv saying they were only showing "Ranked Opponents" when in fact they are not with the BIG10 channels this weekend..

That same Commissioner who "is a fish out of water", successfully expanded the Pac10 to 12 teams, negotiated a huge contract with ESPN and Fox to grant each school $30 million a YEAR, and got 4 out of 5 carriers to bring Pac12 Networks to their programming, one of which is the LARGEST --- Comcast. So, is this guy a fish out of water? The Jury is out!

The jury is not out IMO. Scott is the best conference commissioner in all college.

#65 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

The jury is not out IMO. Scott is the best conference commissioner in all college.

THANK YOU!

#66 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

You give me proof they are not!

...if it were a fair deal, there would be a deal. :rolleyes: A fair deal implies that it is something both sides can agree upon.

I actually would like to see all sports go to their own package or allow to purchase only the channels you would want but the providers won't let that happen

The providers? No, it's the content owners. Purchasing only the channels you want gets complicated when it becomes far more expensive and the channels you want disappear after a substantial loss of revenue. It's a la carte. It doesn't work.

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

I wouldn't presume to call either team a liar, but I called BS on Directv saying they were only showing "Ranked Opponents" when in fact they are not with the BIG10 channels this weekend..

Haha! :lol: How is it "BS" to use the PAC-12 Network's own broadcast schedule to show that they are quickly running out of marquee match-ups?

P.S. - The Big 10 Network already has a deal. This is about the PAC-12 Network not getting one done.

That same Commissioner who "is a fish out of water", successfully expanded the Pac10 to 12 teams, negotiated a huge contract with ESPN and Fox to grant each school $30 million a YEAR, and got Dish and 4 of the largest cable companies in the country and more than 40 others, one of which is the LARGEST --- Comcast. So, is this guy a fish out of water? The Jury is out!

Once again, not a single one of those cable providers are national providers. Also, many of those cable companies are either smaller, regional providers or are only offering the PAC-12 Network in specific systems within their overall footprint. DirecTV is the big ticket. It's one of only two national television service providers and easily dominates the other.

#68 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

...if it were a fair deal, there would be a deal. :rolleyes: A fair deal implies that it is something both sides can agree upon.

The providers? No, it's the content owners. Purchasing only the channels you want gets complicated when it becomes far more expensive and the channels you want disappear after a substantial loss of revenue. It's a la carte. It doesn't work.

Your right I meant content owners. Sorry!

OK not necessarily a fair deal but a similar deal that over 40+ providers already thought was a fair deal for them. It might not be in Directv's opinion though. I'm sure right now it is as close to a best deal that the Pac 12 can offer. If Directv doesn't want to do it both will move on. There is about 2-3 other providers the Pac 12 needs and then they can go without Directv. They are making 20-30 million per team from just Fox and ESPN and will be more from the other 40+ providers. It would be really nice to get Directv and there almost 20 million customers but not if they are going to lose money on the other 60+ million from other providers.

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Your right I meant content owners. Sorry!

OK not necessarily a fair deal but a similar deal that over 40+ providers already thought was a fair deal for them. It might not be in Directv's opinion though. I'm sure right now it is as close to a best deal that the Pac 12 can offer. If Directv doesn't want to do it both will move on. There is about 2-3 other providers the Pac 12 needs and then they can go without Directv. They are making 20-30 million per team from just Fox and ESPN and will be more from the other 40+ providers. It would be really nice to get Directv and there almost 20 million customers but not if they are going to lose money on the other 60+ million from other providers.

At the end of the day, only the PAC-12 loses if there isn't a deal with DirecTV. It won't even be a blip on the radar for DirecTV. A fraction of a single percentage point will jump ship. The PAC-12 misses out of far more revenue than DirecTV risks losing in churn. The PAC-12 wants to charge big time network fees that they haven't earned. Good for them that they got the Dish deal. Dish is known for its missteps, so that isn't surprising.

#70 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I'm sure right now it is as close to a best deal that the Pac 12 can offer. If Directv doesn't want to do it both will move on.

Why do you think it's the PAC 12's best offer?

This early in the negotiations, I wouldn't expect either side to be at or near their bottom line. Those positions usually take months to get to.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#71 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Why do you think it's the PAC 12's best offer?

This early in the negotiations, I wouldn't expect either side to be at or near their bottom line. Those positions usually take months to get to.

They have been negotiating for over a year. The Pac 12 is close to their best deal IMO because they can't go to much better or cause problems with their existing providers. I'm sure there are small things both sides could change but with what looks like Directv wanting the Pac 12 Network to be a RSN or their own package just makes it almost impossible.

#72 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'm sure there are small things both sides could change but with what looks like Directv wanting the Pac 12 Network to be a RSN or their own package just makes it almost impossible.

Link? Source?

#73 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

They have been negotiating for over a year.

When did the other service providers settle? If you were dealing with me, that's when I'd start real negotiations.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#74 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

At the end of the day, only the PAC-12 loses if there isn't a deal with DirecTV. It won't even be a blip on the radar for DirecTV. A fraction of a single percentage point will jump ship. The PAC-12 misses out of far more revenue than DirecTV risks losing in churn. The PAC-12 wants to charge big time network fees that they haven't earned. Good for them that they got the Dish deal. Dish is known for its missteps, so that isn't surprising.

I think it is more then a blip for Directv. I think Directv right now is more worried then the Pac 12 about this agreement. Every time I call Directv they give me something else free without even asking for it. Free HBO, Showtime, money off my bill twice etc. They have emailed me 2-3 times with trying to keep me from dropping Directv.

If you think going in their own package or RSN is going to lose the Pac 12 a lot of money your fooling yourself. They would lose a lot more by doing that. Pac 12 wants to charge what the market will bare and over 40+ providers agreed. Dish is known for some missteps but are a hard group to get a deal done especially sports. You see Dish is dropping the Big 10 at the same time it signed the Pac 12. Maybe the Pac 12 Network is a better deal.

#75 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

When did the other service providers settle? If you were dealing with me, that's when I'd start real negotiations.

The first 4-5 settled a year ago and more as the year went along.

#76 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Link? Source?

Read the Directv and Pac 12 info posted to many sites. You can read that if you look at what both sides are saying.

#77 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,920 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

First.. :icon_lame

2nd, but then they show these games on the Big10 network.. HMM.

Central Michigan at Iowa
UAB at Ohio State(16)
Eastern Michigan at Michigan State(21)
Idaho State at Nebraska(25)
South Dakota at Northwestern
Louisiana Tech at Illinois
Syracuse at Minnesota

I said it was BS to make the claims they only want to show RANKED TEAMS, but they deny the Pac12 and put this up?

Claim it's lame all you want, it's the truth. The Pac12 Network hasn't and will not have in the near future games between ranked opponents (both ranked). That's a big deal because it's a way to show the network doesn't have the big games people watch...devaluing the channel.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#78 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

I think it is more then a blip for Directv. I think Directv right now is more worried then the Pac 12 about this agreement. Every time I call Directv they give me something else free without even asking for it. Free HBO, Showtime, money off my bill twice etc. They have emailed me 2-3 times with trying to keep me from dropping Directv.

You're one customer out of 20 million. The number of people who will or have dropped DirecTV over this issue is miniscule. They will more than make up for anything they dangle to keep you as a customer. DirecTV has absolutely no reason to be worried. The PAC-12 Network doesn't have enough prime content to make any major provider shake in their boots. Their quantity of big time games is limited.

#79 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Read the Directv and Pac 12 info posted to many sites. You can read that if you look at what both sides are saying.

You're claiming to know what type of placement DirecTV wants for a potential PAC-12 Network. What is that based on?

#80 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

You're one customer out of 20 million. The number of people who will or have dropped DirecTV over this issue is miniscule. They will more than make up for anything they dangle to keep you as a customer. DirecTV has absolutely no reason to be worried. The PAC-12 Network doesn't have enough prime content to make any major provider shake in their boots. Their quantity of big time games is limited.

I think the churn for Directv would be worse but the one thing that will help is Dish dropping the Big 10 Network and people switching from Dish to Directv. There is more college football fans then you think. I'm sure a lot won't switch but a fair amount will now with Dish carry the Pac 12 Network. I don't really care if Directv loses customers or not and would like to see the Pac 12 Network on Directv any way they can get a deal done. I'm willing to pay almost any reasonable amount to get it on Directv but I'm probably in the minority. Directv is my favorite provider and would like to stay if at all possible.

spam firewall