Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#781 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

So who is going to hold out on the Pac 12 nets longer? DirecTV or AT&T? :D

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#782 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

So who is going to hold out on the Pac 12 nets longer? DirecTV or AT&T? :D

It's a tie :D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#783 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Since PAC-12 commissioner Larry Scott signed Comcast Media Center to do all their production work, tell me how objective the man can be when dealing with DirecTV?

A conflict of interest if there ever was one.

Dave

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#784 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Since PAC-12 commissioner Larry Scott signed Comcast Media Center to do all their production work, tell me how objective the man can be when dealing with DirecTV?

A conflict of interest if there ever was one.

Dave

I understand your fear but DirecTV also uses Comcast to sell on air advertising here in Nor Cal. So as much as two sides can battle they can also be "best friends" when it's good for business.

The Pac 12 also shares some facilities in SF with Comcast Sportsnet, both offices are located in the same location. Using the Comcast location in CO probably makes sense.

#785 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

I understand your fear but DirecTV also uses Comcast to sell on air advertising here in Nor Cal. So as much as two sides can battle they can also be "best friends" when it's good for business.

The Pac 12 also shares some facilities in SF with Comcast Sportsnet, both offices are located in the same location. Using the Comcast location in CO probably makes sense.

Uh, not best friends nor even friends. Just doing business what it comes to ads.

The production tie in is way stronger than any ad sales or placement.

I have no respect for Larry Scott. (Nor the Cal AD for that matter.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#786 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

I must admit, that I was all over D* for not picking up the PAC-12 Net. However, it has become very apparent that Scott has a huge ego and is probably standing in the way of making a deal with D*. Scott's handling of the Ed Rush/Sean Miller fiasco proves he's nothing but a self-promoting shill.

Update from Jon Wilner that a deal with one or two of the major holdouts Charter, Verizon, AT&T and/or DirecTV may be on the horizon:
http://blogs.mercury...h-you-know-who/

Edited by sdk009, 04 April 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#787 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

I must admit, that I was all over D* for not picking up the PAC-12 Net. However, it has become very apparent that Scott has a huge ego and is probably standing in the way of making a deal with D*. Scott's handling of the Ed Rush/Sean Miller fiasco proves he's nothing but a self-promoting shill.

Update from Jon Wilner that a deal with one or two of the major holdouts Charter, Verizon, AT&T and/or DirecTV may be on the horizon:
http://blogs.mercury...h-you-know-who/

With D* being the largest sattelite provider in the usa, it doesn't make sense to me why larry scott and the whole pac12 crew arent willing to fairly negotiate with d*. I wonder how much money they may be losing out on by not coming to a deal with them. D* too as some customers have cancelled over it but probably not much for a significant negative financial effect.

#788 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

I would be curious if DirecTV adds more charges to people's account if they sign a D* deal

#789 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,815 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Maybe this will help D* get the Pac 12 Network?

http://www.multichan...resident/142832

#790 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Just read where DirecTV added 21,000 new subs in the US along with 583,000 in Latin America.  Definitely doesn't look like DirecTV will be picking up this network anytime soon.  No reason for them to add the channel when they aren't losing subs and actually added more than they estimated.  Estimated around 10,000 new subs so they went way over that guess.

Go Big Red!!!

#791 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Just read where DirecTV added 21,000 new subs in the US along with 583,000 in Latin America.  Definitely doesn't look like DirecTV will be picking up this network anytime soon.  No reason for them to add the channel when they aren't losing subs and actually added more than they estimated.  Estimated around 10,000 new subs so they went way over that guess.

I wouldn't try to tie sub's gains or losses to long term strategies or short term (exorbitant) costs.........

#792 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

When you consider that last year DIRECTV added nearly four times that many customers over the same period, your argument is a little hollow.  In 2011 DIRECTV added 662,000 customers but last year the number was only 199,000.  This isn't about how DIRECTV compared with anyone but DIRECTV and while their financial numbers remain stellar, the years and years of trying to reduce additions has finally borne fruit.

Their estimates have often been pretty far from the actuals when it comes to net subs.  It does seem to have moved up the schedule on when they started offering NFLST for free to new subscribers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#793 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

This isn't about how DIRECTV compared with anyone but DIRECTV and while their financial numbers remain stellar, the years and years of trying to reduce additions has finally borne fruit.

Yes, additional subs are to be avoided..... Though perhaps you meant they reduced the rate of attrition.

#794 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Yes, additional subs are to be avoided..... Though perhaps you meant they reduced the rate of attrition.

Not at all.  DIRECTV was long looking to slow the pace of new additions because it added greatly to the bottom line SAC number and overhead costs associated with serving a larger customer base that had a significant negative impacted operating profit.  They were all about shedding cheapskates/freebies seekers and going after "higher quality customers" (ones that invested more money).

The mistake is yours.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#795 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

You completely jumped the shark with your first statement. No company wants to stop adding customers, and many well run companies want to add only high grade customers. Your clarifying statement is correct in that DIRECTV has stated this as a corporate goal, which doubtless they are meeting. One cannot conclude merely from the smaller number of net adds, however, that it's solely or largely due to that phenomenon. 

#796 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

You completely jumped the shark with your first statement.No company wants to stop adding customers, and many well run companies want to add only high grade customers. Your clarifying statement is correct in that DIRECTV has stated this as a corporate goal, which doubtless they are meeting. One cannot conclude merely from the smaller number of net adds, however, that it's solely or largely due to that phenomenon.

I never said that DIRECTV wanted to stop net or gross adds.  I cited accurately that they wanted to slow the numbers. You say I made an outlandish statement (followed by an incorrect statement on your part) and then you say that I'm right.  Which is it?

Noting that they've finally met their goal in reducing the number of adds is not an observation of a "phenomenon" but rather a recognition that after five years or so, DIRECTV has met their goal.  Five years is a number that seems to recur often in DIRECTV delivering on their announcements.

It is otherwise unfathomable that in the conference call, Pat Doyle characterized the 74% year-to-year decrease as "modest".

#797 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,815 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

A nice feather in the cap for the Pac-12 Networks . . .

To me, and those other DirecTV subscribers, Murphy-Stephans has a forceful message:

“We’re on schedule, and right on plan, in terms of distribution for the Pac-12 Networks,” she said. “I feel good about that. There’s an obligation as fans, that if they want Pac-12 Networks and DirecTV is not carrying the Pac-12 Networks, the fan has to be willing to drop DirecTV and pick up a carrier that is.

http://blogs.seattle...ac-12-networks/

#798 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

A nice feather in the cap for the Pac-12 Networks . . .

http://blogs.seattle...ac-12-networks/

Ugh...  There's a good chance I will end up doing that this fall, but I'll sure as heck resent the P12 nets (and DTV) for making me.  At some point you just have to realize if your house ain't selling, it's not worth as much as you think it is.

#799 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Jon Wilner:

"The early-season schedule doesn’t provide the Pac12Nets with any must-have games, in my opinion."

"The first Pac-12-owned, must-have game involving the L.A. schools is Sept. 28, when the Trojans visit ASU.

Then again, if there’s no deal with DTV by that point, the chances of the parties reaching an agreement at any time in 2013 are mighty slim."

http://blogs.mercury...nts/#more-31541

#800 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

Its frustrating because P12N has a lot of programming that I'd be interested in - like baseball and softball which has much less ESPN coverage than football or basketball. I could switch to Time Warner, but they don't have Big Ten Network so I'd be losing some sports there. Hopefully Uverse adds P12N. Uverse is apparently already on board for SEC Network despite that being a year and a half away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...