Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#821 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

Oh, don't worry, the SEC and Big Ten will be making more money than the Pac 12 when their contracts expire in the next ew years.
The P12N annoucnced their fall volleyball schedule. 90 games on P12N, that's a little bit more than last year....which is awesome for volleyball fans. Way more than you see the other conferences broadcast.
DirecTV wants to pay a lot less than everybody else is, like they did with the MTN - that's their choice. If fans don't want to switch providers to get the networks they want, that's their choice too.
If P12N accepts DTV's lowball offer, that might affect their contracts with the other providers and bankrupt the network. Who knows what is going on.
I know that I am switching to Time Warner if Uverse or DirecTV do not add it. If I switch to TWC, I will lose the Big Ten Network, but I'd rather have the pac 12 network anyway.
I don't want the P12N to go the way of the MTN- all sports other than football and men's basketball have way less games on TV since the mtn went bankrupt. If keeping P12N off DirecTV allows the network to survive- I'm for that.

I hope not, at least not more per school for sure. But the more they get the more they want to charge us.

And I don't know why you think DIRECTV is lowball ing them. Anything the pac12 is asking for is highball in the first apace to be honest. But still, if they offered to carry it a la cart or in the sports tier likely for their asking price, I don't consider it a low ball offer simply because it won't reach as many people, especially if those people likely don't want it anyway. Not if it raises everyone's rates far beyond what we paid for content last year.

No sports channels want to be pushed to a separate tier, but its going to happen at some point, and sometime soon. And I wouldn't bet on the Dodgers, sec, or any other sports channel getting on DIRECTV anytime soon.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#822 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

. And I wouldn't bet on the Dodgers, sec, or any other sports channel getting on DIRECTV anytime soon.

Dodgers network like shorthorn network will never get on, Not because of the teams but being an dedicated channel for one team will not happen. Longhorn network will soon go away when the ESPN contract expires.

As for the SEC network guaranteed money in the bank first year. SEC is already negotiating with all major networks including Direct even though they won't start until August 2014 there will be a deal. I figure pac12 network will take a similar deal with less payout because lets face it the SEC rules ratings in college football and happens to be in the south the most populace area of the country.   

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#823 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

The South is the most densely populated area of the US? What's the basis for this claim/statement? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#824 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,919 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

The South is the most densely populated area of the US? What's the basis for this claim/statement? 

Actually, he said populous and by that measure, and using the US Census Bureau regions, the South has the highest population....by a lot.  

However, the North East has the highest population density followed by California.

So, I understand his point.  There are a lot of eyes watching the SEC.

Mike

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#825 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

I hope not, at least not more per school for sure. But the more they get the more they want to charge us.

And I don't know why you think DIRECTV is lowball ing them. Anything the pac12 is asking for is highball in the first apace to be honest. But still, if they offered to carry it a la cart or in the sports tier likely for their asking price, I don't consider it a low ball offer simply because it won't reach as many people, especially if those people likely don't want it anyway. Not if it raises everyone's rates far beyond what we paid for content last year.

No sports channels want to be pushed to a separate tier, but its going to happen at some point, and sometime soon. And I wouldn't bet on the Dodgers, sec, or any other sports channel getting on DIRECTV anytime soon.

I would be shocked if the Dodgers RSN is not picked up on DirecTV. They will lose far more subs for that than the P12N. P12N is a bargain compared to the Dodgers alleged asking price, but Dodgers will most likely appear on DirecTV first.

Edited by tjguitar, 28 July 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#826 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

I would be shocked if the Dodgers RSN is not picked up on DirecTV. They will lose far more subs for that than the P12N. P12N is a bargain compared to the Dodgers alleged asking price, but Dodgers will most likely appear on DirecTV first.

You're dreaming in la la land again. Read my lips no single team will ever be picked up. Period..... Doesn't matter how many subs they may lose if the Dodger network were forced on me I would drop Directv in a second.  

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#827 OFFLINE   nvsundevil

nvsundevil

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

I have been following this forum in hopes of learning how to stream Pac12 games on my iPad.  Am a DTV sub; been there done that with Dish and not planning on going back.  Friends are not into college football wherein I might login to accounts to stream............any suggestions????

#828 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

I have been following this forum in hopes of learning how to stream Pac12 games on my iPad.  Am a DTV sub; been there done that with Dish and not planning on going back.  Friends are not into college football wherein I might login to accounts to stream............any suggestions????

I don't think there is anyway to stream Pac 12 Network without being a subscriber to cable(that carries Pac 12) or Dish.  That is legally and not sure it is possible to even stream Pac 12 Network illegally.

#829 OFFLINE   nvsundevil

nvsundevil

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't think there is anyway to stream Pac 12 Network without being a subscriber to cable(that carries Pac 12) or Dish.  That is legally and not sure it is possible to even stream Pac 12 Network illegally.

Thx for the info........appreciate it.......will just have to listen on the radio!!!

#830 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

You're dreaming in la la land again. Read my lips no single team will ever be picked up. Period..... Doesn't matter how many subs they may lose if the Dodger network were forced on me I would drop Directv in a second.

wait, if dtv gets the Dodgers channel you are automatically going to dump DIRECTV? Why exactly?

I don't think it will come right away, if ever, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it did show up at some point. I'd love for it to be in a higher tier or a la cart, but I doubt that will happen.

And by the way, the Lakers channel was pretty close to a single team channel and it did get picked up. It does happen. And the Yankees network is pretty close to single team as well. We all know the dodger network will have more than just dodgers on it, eventually as well.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#831 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Well now ATT U-Verse picked up 3 of the channels as of yesterday I see.

Sent from Raider Nation using DBSTalk mobile app

Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

Protected By... spam firewall...And...