Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

You're claiming to know what type of placement DirecTV wants for a potential PAC-12 Network. What is that based on?

Same opinion as your statement that the Pac 12 is trying to charge more to Directv then other providers and is and making an unreasonable offer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

I don't really care if Directv loses customers or not and would like to see the Pac 12 Network on Directv any way they can get a deal done.

Now we've exposed the issue. Many of us do care, because it matters. DirecTV needs to make a wise business decision, not add the channel in any way possible. Poor business decisions on their part impact us as customers. If I wanted a provider that makes bad decisions that I will have to pay for later...I'd be with Dish.

#83 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Same opinion as your statement that the Pac 12 is trying to charge more to Directv then other providers and is and making an unreasonable offer.

...no it isn't. Not even close. We KNOW they are not offering identical deals. Do you have anything to back up your claims or not? I provided quotes earlier.

#84 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Now we've exposed the issue. Many of us do care, because it matters. DirecTV needs to make a wise business decision, not add the channel in any way possible. Poor business decisions on their part impact us as customers. If I wanted a provider that makes bad decisions that I will have to pay for later...I'd be with Dish.

I can agree with that! I just don't think it is as bad a deal as you must think it is from Directv's side. I want them to get the best deal possible without leaving their customers without the Pac 12 Network. I just think the way it is appearing right now it will not get done. Trying to get the Pac 12 Network in a RSN or their own package just won't happen IMO.

#85 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

...no it isn't. Not even close. We KNOW they are not offering identical deals. Do you have anything to back up your claims or not? I provided quotes earlier.

Nobody knows for sure but the Pac 12 came out and said they are offering very similar deals. The exact same deal as Dish signed without the exclusive signage which Directv could of probably had if they wanted earlier. I'm sure the Pac 12 Network could give up something similar to Directv if that was the only holdup. Directv doesn't say anything about being offered a higher cost deal then any of the other providers. I'm sure Directv would come out and say we want a deal similar to the other providers but they haven't yet. Also why do you think they would be charging more to Directv (from you opinion) when they are so important for the Pac 12. It would be very dumb to be trying to charge more for something that has been already negotiated for over a year and with 40+ other providers already signed.

#86 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

I just think the way it is appearing right now it will not get done.

I agree. The PAC-12 Network execs missed their best window of opportunity. Men's basketball will be next, but there wasn't a single PAC-12 school in the last poll from the previous season. Only three conference teams were ranked in the top 25 in last year's preseason and they all dropped off the map pretty quickly. So, that doesn't bode well.

Trying to get the Pac 12 Network in a RSN or their own package just won't happen IMO.

Again, when has DirecTV indicated that they want that?

#87 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Nobody knows for sure but the Pac 12 came out and said they are offering very similar deals.

No, they said the deals were the same. Then they said they were, "fundamentally similar." Sounds trustworthy...

#88 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

I agree. The PAC-12 Network execs missed their best window of opportunity. Men's basketball will be next, but there wasn't a single PAC-12 school in the last poll from the previous season. Only three conference teams were ranked in the top 25 in last year's preseason and they all dropped off the map pretty quickly. So, that doesn't bode well.

Again, when has DirecTV indicated that they want that?

I have to agree with the Pac 12 not being a very good basketball conference for the last few years. I think after the football season is over it makes it very hard to get a deal until next football season. I'm not sure it was the Pac 12 execs messing up. Sometimes it is better to not make a deal then a bad deal and that is on both Directv and Pac 12 Networks side.

#89 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

No, they said the deals were the same. Then they said they were, "fundamentally similar." Sounds trustworthy...

Sounds trustworthy to me. You are just looking to see how the Pac 12 is lying or trying to charge more to Directv when there is no proof that is the case.

#90 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have to agree with the Pac 12 not being a very good basketball conference for the last few years. I think after the football season is over it makes it very hard to get a deal until next football season. I'm not sure it was the Pac 12 execs messing up. Sometimes it is better to not make a deal then a bad deal and that is on both Directv and Pac 12 Networks side.

Forget the end of the football season, I think this weekend is key for the network to get the most they can. After that, I think any deal reached will be more pleasing to DirecTV than it would have been.

#91 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Sounds trustworthy to me. You are just looking to see how the Pac 12 is lying or trying to charge more to Directv when there is no proof that is the case.

The proof that they were lying is in their own statements. It's right there for anyone to read. Add that to the tacky situation of those taxpayer funded public employees who spoke out on the situation...

#92 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Forget the end of the football season, I think this weekend is key for the network to get the most they can. After that, I think any deal reached will be more pleasing to DirecTV than it would have been.

Yup, I think you are right. That's why I don't think there will be a deal at all or at best just before next football season. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see how it can get done but I never thought that Dish would sign a Pac 12 Network contract either. I would be one happy guy if something happen and Directv and Pac 12 had a agreement this weekend. You never know and I have seen things happen but I'm just not to optimistic.

#93 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Add that to the tacky situation of those taxpayer funded public employees who spoke out on the situation...

I'm not sure what your talking about.

#94 OFFLINE   DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

The proof that they were lying is in their own statements. It's right there for anyone to read. Add that to the tacky situation of those taxpayer funded public employees who spoke out on the situation...

You don't have any proof that either side was lying. We know one is, we will never know who that is.

I am calling tonight to get the cost of Big 10 dropped from my bill based on the latest DTV statement that only people who want it should have to pay for it. They just opened a can of worms with that.

#95 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

Basketball will be on an upswing, as UCLA's 2012 recruiting class was ranked 2nd by Rivals.com and Arizona's was ranked 3rd.
Add to it the vast amount of basketball programming the channel will carry compared to football, I think it will be even more imperative for the league to make a deal once November rolls around.

#96 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

You don't have any proof that either side was lying.

Sure we do. We have the commissioner's own statements.
DTV = Digital Television

#97 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Basketball will be on an upswing, as UCLA's 2012 recruiting class was ranked 2nd by Rivals.com and Arizona's was ranked 3rd.
Add to it the vast amount of basketball programming the channel will carry compared to football, I think it will be even more imperative for the league to make a deal once November rolls around.

I think you are probably right about the future of Pac 12 basketball. I think Utah or Col I forgot which also had a good recruiting class. I do hope the Pac 12 gets back to being a top basketball conference. At one time I thought the Pac 10 was the second best or no worse then third best conference but that was years ago.

#98 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

Sure we do. We have the commissioner's own statements.

Are you assuming "the DEAL" has been the same from day one? NO CHANGE?? to go from saying the deal was the same to almost the same to me implies that things may have changed, especially with the advertising in the stadiums..

#99 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

PAC12..... The "Conference of Champions," the Pac-12 has won more NCAA National Team Championships than any other conference in history; the three schools with the most NCAA team championships belong to the Pac-12 (UCLA, Stanford and USC, in that order). With Arizona State's softball title in 2011, the conference won its 400th NCAA Championship.

#100 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,092 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

PAC12..... The "Conference of Champions," the Pac-12 has won more NCAA National Team Championships than any other conference in history; the three schools with the most NCAA team championships belong to the Pac-12 (UCLA, Stanford and USC, in that order). With Arizona State's softball title in 2011, the conference won its 400th NCAA Championship.

Although impressive, that's not a very fair statistic due to the Pac schools having more sports. Sports like Water Polo aren't played east of the Rockies. Tennis, golf, swimming and diving are also predominately west with collegiate sports. Softball was also a historically west coast sport.

What's odd is after the top 3 Pac schools, little Abilene Christian is 4th with Oklahoma State 5th.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...