Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

No it isn't. It is in you bias view that the Pac 12 should take any package that Directv can shove down their ***. Directv is in the wrong and just because you can't or won't see it and keep repeating things that are not true doesn't make Directv right. Like I said before it is Directv right to not carry the Network but it is also the Pac 12 Network right to only accept something that will make money. I'm done posting in this topic. It doesn't do any good going around and around when people don't want to listen or make stuff up.

Who needs who more?
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

Who needs who more?

Like I said before in a earlier post. I don't know what you are talking about!!

#123 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Who needs who more?

That will shed led at some point.. I think PAC12 is doing fine... I'm sure they would love to have DIRECTV.

They put their product out there and have quite a few people paying for it... Eventually I believe Directv will come back asking what it might take to have the privilege to show Pac12..

#124 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

It is starting to look more and more like directv doesn't want to come to terms and that is also what I'm hearing from those affiliated with them too.

Playing their own fiddle... :)

#125 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

It is starting to look more and more like directv doesn't want to come to terms and that is also what I'm hearing from those affiliated with them too.

Who? A CSR?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#126 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

Not from the csr's.

Who? A CSR?

#127 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

I would be shocked if anyone who is "affiliated" with DirecTV had any idea of what is going on with the inner details of their negotiations with PAC 12.

We saw a lot of mis-information during the Viacom negotiations, much of it coming from inflammatory Twitter posts made by people who said they were speaking for DirecTV. It was only when these leaks stopped that negotiations got serious and the issue was solved.

If you really have some inside information from DirecTV's upper management, let us know, mshaw2715. Otherwise, you are no different than a fan at a game yelling at the coach from the stands, telling him that was a stupid play he called.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#128 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,715 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

When you think about all of this its just so damn frustrating. As others have said, you would think the Pac 12 (and TWCSN) would want some money from D* rather then no money at all. Its a shame it all has to come down to greed.

But then again I can't let this get to me, its only TV.

#129 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

DirecTV must be losing more and more subscribers lately.
They just recently offered Pac-12 not one, but "TWO" offers over the past 24 hours, and the Pac-12 conference "rejected" both offers.

The fact DirecTV gave the Pac-12 two offers, tells me that DirecTV does want to make a deal to get the network (because they must be losing more customers with each passing day now) ....

http://www.vcstar.co...v-cant-reach-a/

#130 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

They just recently offered Pac-12 not one, but "TWO" offers over the past 24 hours, and the Pac-12 conference "rejected" both offers.

The fact DirecTV gave the Pac-12 two offers, tells me that DirecTV does want to make a deal to get the network (because they must be losing more customers with each passing day now) ....

http://www.vcstar.co...v-cant-reach-a/

That article doesn't mention when the offers were made or when they were turned down.
DTV = Digital Television

#131 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

That article doesn't mention when the offers were made or when they were turned down.

Yes it did, read it again (article was dated 9/20) ....

"DirecTV said Thursday it had proposed offering the Pac-12 Network as a stand-alone channel before this weekend's games for anyone who wanted to subscribe to it, and also proposed allowing customers to buy future games on an on-demand basis until the situation was worked out, but that the Pac-12 had rejected both offers."

"It's regrettable and unfortunate, but Pac-12 keeps denying these few exclusive games to the people who really want them the most," DirecTV said in a statement."

"The Pac-12 Networks rejected two offers by DirecTV to carry the new channels, fairly assuring that Saturday's USC-California game will not be available on that system."

#132 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

Yes it did, read it again (article was dated 9/20) ....

"DirecTV said Thursday it had proposed offering the Pac-12 Network as a stand-alone channel before this weekend's games for anyone who wanted to subscribe to it, and also proposed allowing customers to buy future games on an on-demand basis until the situation was worked out, but that the Pac-12 had rejected both offers."

"It's regrettable and unfortunate, but Pac-12 keeps denying these few exclusive games to the people who really want them the most," DirecTV said in a statement."

"The Pac-12 Networks rejected two offers by DirecTV to carry the new channels, fairly assuring that Saturday's USC-California game will not be available on that system."

A little more perspective.....

"Buying games on-demand for the Pac-12? Do they think we're watching boxing matches?

There was no way the Pac-12 was ever going to accept this deal on face value. It basically makes the Pac-12 a pay-per-view package that would isolate it to only the most diehard and wealthy of their uses, and that certainly doesn't run in the line with the same plan the Pac-12 put in the place with the rest of their providers. This was a bone thrown out by DirecTV to provide the apparition of an olive branch, only to be burned by the Pac-12 when they realized it was just a snake."

http://www.pacificta...v-plan-rejected

#133 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

A little more perspective.....

"Buying games on-demand for the Pac-12? Do they think we're watching boxing matches?

There was no way the Pac-12 was ever going to accept this deal on face value. It basically makes the Pac-12 a pay-per-view package that would isolate it to only the most diehard and wealthy of their uses, and that certainly doesn't run in the line with the same plan the Pac-12 put in the place with the rest of their providers. This was a bone thrown out by DirecTV to provide the apparition of an olive branch, only to be burned by the Pac-12 when they realized it was just a snake."

http://www.pacificta...v-plan-rejected

It was offered as a temporary solution until the situation was resolved and the PAC-12 Network team walked away. It was DirecTV making good faith efforts to work this out, while the PAC-12 continues to overvalue their worth for the foreseeable future after this weekend.
DTV = Digital Television

#134 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

There's a few peeps at my work that switched to cable. And they are now laughing at me by the way because I guaranteed them DirecTV would make a deal. :D

Other than that, I haven't heard a thing. They have had some friends over last weekend who wanted to watch certain games but couldn't.

I think they are probably starting to lose patience, but with many games being on national networks, switching may be too drastic. Which is a win for DirecTV.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#135 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

It's hilarious that anyone would believe that a new channel with limited content and appeal would have any meaningful impact on churn. A fraction of less than 1% of DirecTV's 20 million customers will leave over not having PAC-12. Some people leave over losing extremely popular and successful channels, this...ain't one of those times.
DTV = Digital Television

#136 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

It was offered as a temporary solution until the situation was resolved and the PAC-12 Network team walked away. It was DirecTV making good faith efforts to work this out, while the PAC-12 continues to overvalue their worth for the foreseeable future after this weekend.

That's ridiculous.. "GOOD FAITH"??? I don't see that at all.. This product is not an ALA CARTE product.. Maybe Directv is seeing the effects of holding out and perhaps is rethinking their strategy..

#137 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

It's hilarious that anyone would believe that a new channel with limited content and appeal would have any meaningful impact on churn. A fraction of less than 1% of DirecTV's 20 million customers will leave over not having PAC-12. Some people leave over losing extremely popular and successful channels, this...ain't one of those times.

The Pac12 Faithful are leaving because this is important to them. I watched a little of the Big10 network this morning and thought it wasn't special to me, but hey for BIG10 fans I get it.. The Pac12 Networks looks very similar to me, having watching a little of the Pac12 Networks via streaming.

I find it hilarious that you keep criticizing a product you haven't even seen nor have any affiliation like the people on the West Coast who live and die by their teams..

#138 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

There's a few peeps at my work that switched to cable. And they are now laughing at me by the way because I guaranteed them DirecTV would make a deal. :D

Other than that, I haven't heard a thing. They have had some friends over last weekend who wanted to watch certain games but couldn't.

I think they are probably starting to lose patience, but with many games being on national networks, switching may be too drastic. Which is a win for DirecTV.

A win for Directv? Not sure yet... Pac12 doesn't have to agree to Directv's attempt at getting coverage with the little bone they threw out.. Jury is still out

#139 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Some of you were saying you're willing to pay for it, DirecTV tried to please you but the Pac12 rejected. P12 knows not enough people want their channel and are out for money. This is more proof ala carte is bogus.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#140 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Some of you were saying you're willing to pay for it, DirecTV tried to please you but the Pac12 rejected. P12 knows not enough people want their channel and are out for money. This is more proof ala carte is bogus.

I'm not so sure the offer Directv was showing was really trying to please us, but rather stop any future exodus of customers and retaining some leverage in negotiations.. I agree the Ala Carte is bogus.. Both sides are feuding over an enormous amount of money..

spam firewall