Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Joey disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

I just had a Hopper and 2 Joeys installed with a HIC. I don't have ethernet to the Hopper; all access goes through the HIC.

So far, it's been pretty nice and working great, but this morning, I had a weird anomaly. I have our bedroom TV set to turn on and the associated Joey set to auto-tune at 5am.

Everything worked normally, but after about 10 minutes, I started experiencing extremely choppy audio and then a black screen.

I powered the Joey off and back on - same thing.
I went out to the Hopper and the channel was working fine.
I looked at the broadband settings and all was ok. I did a reset for good measure and all status came back as OK and in green.
I heard the Joey in the other room come back on and tune the channel. I went back in and everything appeared to be normal. Then I started getting choppy audio about every minute and then finally, a black screen again.
I reset the broadband again, this time from the Joey. Everything came back with an OK status and in green.
Still a black screen.
After about 15 minutes, the Joey finally came back online and was fine for the rest of the morning news cast.

Do you suppose this is a DHCP problem or is there a problem with the Hopper or Joey?

For good measure, I did a factory reset on my router this morning and had to set everything back up from scratch. I also assigned a "static lease" to the Joeys and Hopper. This should mean that they will always grab the same IP, every time and the lease will never expire.

Thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hmmm... it did it again this morning.
Guess I'm making a phone call to DISH.

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Is the Joey connected via coax or Ethernet?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Coax on the Joey...

No ethernet to the Hopper either. It gets its internet VIA the HIC.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,306 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Overheating ...

#6 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

what device would be susceptible to failure if overheating? I can't get any more ventilation to either the hopper or joey because both are sitting out in the open...

Fan?

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,306 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

yes, also put J in vert position

#8 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'll try the Joey in the vertical position. Not sure there is anything more I can do with the Hopper though...

When they installed, the techs had a heck of a time getting the HIC to work properly so that all the devices could see the router. I'm half thinking of crawling in the attic and dropping ethernet, but I really don't want to resort to that. Wireless to the Hopper might be an option if it would work. I only have WirelessG presently, but it would probably work ok.

It just seems weird that it only seems to happen in the morning... I can watch TV on the Joey all evening long and into the night with nary an issue. When I have it on the morning newscast between 5-7am, the Joey has went dead consistently sometime between 5:30am and 6:15am and a network reset fixes the issue... I'm not so sure it's heat related, but I'll try the vertical position anyway...

I wonder if it might have anything to do with moisture and the little dealie they put outside...

spam firewall