Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What to do w/ old HR20-100?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

I have a failing HR20-100 that D* is replacing. While they normally ask for the old IRDs back (to be returned in the same box the new one is shipped in), they told me NOT to return this one.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with it? How big is the HDD? Can I sell it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,716 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

I've been told they make good door stops and paperweights.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

OP - as someone w/2 of these relics, did they mention anything about wanting the access card(s) back on yours per chance???

#4 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

I have a failing HR20-100 that D* is replacing. While they normally ask for the old IRDs back (to be returned in the same box the new one is shipped in), they told me NOT to return this one.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with it? How big is the HDD? Can I sell it?

Had an H10 and an HR20.
Was sent a pair of HR21's, and told NOT to return the old units, but that a return mailer for the access card would be enclosed in the replacement boxes.
The replacement for the H10 had an envelope but the HR20 did not.
I called and asked them what they wanted me to do.
They said nothing, not even to bother sending back the card for the one provided.
That when I activated each replacement, they were tied to, and would simultaneously deactivate the respective replaced unit access card.
I also asked about transferring (I was going to give to a friend) the HR20, and was told that I could re-activate it on my account, but that it could not be issued a new access card and could not be activated on another account.
The oldest HR20's had 250GB drives, the later models had 320GB.
I'm keeping mine in the basement storage room in case DirecTV decides different than what the CSR told me, and will charge me a non-return fee, if I don't send the unit back.

#5 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'm keeping mine in the basement storage room in case DirecTV decides different than what the CSR told me, and will charge me a non-return fee, if I don't send the unit back.

I'm doing exactly the same thing. I had my HR20-100 replaced with a HR24-500 about 6 weeks ago. The CSR told me they don't want it back. A return box or envelope to return the access card has never been received, but I'll hold onto the box until I cancel Directv (for many years if I have to) in case they change their mind.

#6 OFFLINE   fyredawg

fyredawg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

OP - as someone w/2 of these relics, did they mention anything about wanting the access card(s) back on yours per chance???

Curious as to why?

#7 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Because I'm getting ready to disco from D*, & I've got hours of unwatched shows to watch off the HDD's - which you CAN do on an inactive receiver, as long as it still has it's card. (& you disco it from the dish BEFORE you cancel...)

#8 OFFLINE   fyredawg

fyredawg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

I see thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...