Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sling question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm visiting some family and I can't access my Sling (on a 722) from here. No problem on dishonline seeing what's on my DVR, etc. but when I try to watch something from the schedule (live TV,) I get the screen as if it is downloading the video and then an error message. This is happening on both my notebook computer and my iPad.

Checked the router, everything looks fine, tried uPnP on and off, no effect, no firewall or proxies. No problem accessing anything else (Netflix, etc.)

Any ideas of what else to check?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'm visiting some family and I can't access my Sling (on a 722) from here. No problem on dishonline seeing what's on my DVR, etc. but when I try to watch something from the schedule (live TV,) I get the screen as if it is downloading the video and then an error message. This is happening on both my notebook computer and my iPad.

Checked the router, everything looks fine, tried uPnP on and off, no effect, no firewall or proxies. No problem accessing anything else (Netflix, etc.)

Thanks

OK just had my wife at home check and no red light on the Sling. She unplugged it from the receiver USB and plugged it back in, still no message and no red light. So for some reason it seems to not be working. It was working a week ago. Hmmmmmmm

#3 OFFLINE   ksdishrsptech

ksdishrsptech

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

What type of receiver do you have???

#4 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Do you have multiple receivers and if so, are you accessing the one with the sling from your iPad menu? If you are on the wrong receiver you will get nothing.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#5 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Fixed. Sling just stopped working. A DIRT rep quickly helped me out, cost me about $50 but they replaced it very quickly (apparently the Sling is not covered in the extra coverage plan.) New one plugged in and worked.

#6 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Fixed. Sling just stopped working. A DIRT rep quickly helped me out, cost me about $50 but they replaced it very quickly (apparently the Sling is not covered in the extra coverage plan.) New one plugged in and worked.

The sling adapter is covered in the $6 Protection Plan.

#7 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

Seems it wasn't - they charged me $49 and I had the protection plan active.

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

You should note: The protection plan was raised to $7 per month a while ago.

#9 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

Is there a definitive answer on whether the Sling should be covered by the protection plan? If it is, then I probably shouldn't have had to pay the $50 replacement fee.

#10 OFFLINE   uawildcat7

uawildcat7

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

I had a slingbox solo that seems to have quit working----would it be better to get the dish sling adapter or a new solo? Also if i got the dish sling adapter could i use it with sling box app or just with the dish app? Thanks

#11 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

I had a slingbox solo that seems to have quit working----would it be better to get the dish sling adapter or a new solo? Also if i got the dish sling adapter could i use it with sling box app or just with the dish app? Thanks

The Sling Adapter is not compatible with the sling app. That being said, I sometimes use my sling adapter with the sling app but the dish remote access app is fully functional and easier to use with the sling adapter than the sling app.

#12 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

I don't know anything about anything but the Sling that Dish sent me and Dish Remote access, but the Dish setup works extremely well. I am in Germany right now and able to easily watch anything live on my Dish IRD at home in the U.S., watch anything on my DVR there, set up and modify recording schedules, etc.

#13 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

FWIW, I chatted with Dish customer service today, and they told me that, since I had the protection plan when my Sling died, they were refunding the $49.99 charge they gave me when they replaced it. Very cool.

#14 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

The Sling Adapter comes with a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase. Thanks.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

The long-term consensus on this is that it is NOT covered.

The fact that they stood up for fudpucker seems in decided conflict with what Ray offered.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Thanks

Same thing happened to me about a month ago on the 722. Sling just died. They replaced my sling then finally upgraded me (at no charge) to a 922. Something happened, but nobody could (or would) tell me what that was . . . .

spam firewall