Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and Double Play

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

I used Double Play with my HR34 this evening and discovered something cool.

When you switch back and forth between the two channels, you don't get the big banner across the top of the screen. You just get the small progress bar on the bottom of the screen for a few seconds.

With all the HR2x DVRs I've used (I don't have a HR24 so I can't speak to it), the top banner appears each time you switch. This always seemed unnecessary to me. You basically know which channels you are watching. The program information on the progress bar is enough to tell you which show you are watching, which is all you need to know.

Nice little tweak in the software, DirecTV! :)
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

That's because switching channels on Double Play is the same as switching windows when you're using PIP. No banner for PIP means no banner for Double Play change.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

That makes sense. It's still cool. That banner at the top of the screen is big enough to contain the entire Declaration of Independence. Making it go away is a good thing.

This reason also explains something else I discovered tonight.

When you select Double Play, the second channel is determined seemingly at random. Tonight my HR34 called up the same station I was already on for the second channel. If a HR2x DVR had done this, the progress bar would show the time I'd been on the first station for both channels. In other words, if the first channel was CNN and I'd been on it for 15 minutes, and the second channel was also CNN, the progress bar would read 15 minutes for both channels.

Not with the HR34. When it launched the same station on the second channel, the progress bar read two different times. The first channel read the time I'd been watching that network. The second channel read only the time I'd been in Double Play, even though it was the same station.

With a HR2x DVR, if the two channels in Double Play are tuned into the same channel, they will share a buffer. With a HR34, they use two separate buffers.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

spam firewall