Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34-700 and HR24-100 DVR in system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Happs

Happs

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

I got the HR34 (HMC) today. I previously had the HR24-100 with two H24-200s and shared between all three.

They installed the HR34-700 today and left me the HR24-100 which replaced one of the H24-200. SO now I have two DVRs in the same system, which is kind of cool. BUT....

My questions are:
1. Now I guess I have 1200 hours of storage (SD)?
2. Do I also have 100 options to record a Series?
3. I can see all of the recordings, currently only on the HR24 but I can't see any of the programs that I have setup for Series Recordings from the HR24, so I don't know if I setup a series recording on the HR34 that is currently setup on the HR24 will I get duplicate recordings?
4. So if I setup a series I can't see it listed from the other or on the guide??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,991 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

You'll have 100 series links on the 34 and 50 on the 24. They can't set something to record on each other or share their list of series links or record icons etc.

When I had two regular DVRs I split them up, especially for network shows. One handled NBC and Fox, the other had CBS and ABC.

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I got the HR34 (HMC) today. I previously had the HR24-100 with two H24-200s and shared between all three.

They installed the HR34-700 today and left me the HR24-100 which replaced one of the H24-200. SO now I have two DVRs in the same system, which is kind of cool. BUT....

My questions are:
1. Now I guess I have 1200 hours of storage (SD)?
2. Do I also have 100 options to record a Series?
3. I can see all of the recordings, currently only on the HR24 but I can't see any of the programs that I have setup for Series Recordings from the HR24, so I don't know if I setup a series recording on the HR34 that is currently setup on the HR24 will I get duplicate recordings?
4. So if I setup a series I can't see it listed from the other or on the guide??

The only thing really shared between the 2 DVRs are the List of recordings. You can configure both DVR's so you can view recordings from both and delete recordings on both. When you set up series recordings on one of the DVR's, the other DVR does not see that. So if you set the same program up to record on each DVR, it will record on both.

If your not seeing recordings from the remote DVR, check to see it you have it setup in the Whole-Home menu. Also, you do this <LIST> <Yellow> and arrow down & select <Filter By Playlist> and then make sure it says <ALL>. That will give you the recordings from both DVR's in the List. After that, if you still don't see them, do a <Reset> on that DVR and it should resolve it.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   Happs

Happs

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for both of the replies.

It clarifies what I thought and I like the purposed resolution of splitting the networks between the two devices.

Hopefully the next step in the evolution of Home Media Center will be the sharing of icons and setting between the devices.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my 150 series options, 1200 hours of recordings and PIP.

Which leads to another clarification.....CAN I RECORD 7 DIFFERENT RECORDINGS AT ONE TIME BETWEEN BOTH UNITS ???

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

Yes, but at that point you could only watch what was being recorded or a show that was already on one of the two hard drives. You couldn't watch live TV. You have no remaining tuners available for that.

Seven is an awful lot at once. You might want to limit your recording to five shows at once, four on the HR34 and one on the HR24. That way you could watch live television and switch channels on either system.

You also do realize that the 1,200 hour figure is for SD recordings, don't you? The limit is significantly less for HD. Someone else must know the figure but I think it's somewhere around 250-300 hours for HD using both hard drives. That's still quite a bit, at least 10 days, 24/7 of television watching.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

I forgot to say it: welcome to posting, Happs. I realise you've been a member for a year. I was a lurker for 3 years before I made my first post. Please continue to contribute. It's not that scary here...

...well, there is BubblePuppy....

;) :D
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

Protected By... spam firewall...And...