Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Work around a recording conflict

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but with the upcoming premiere of Last Resort, a new series on ABC, I'm now faced with my first ever recording conflict I don't know how to resolve. With cable series it's easy, just cancel the episode and record another showing. But in this case I have three network shows: Last Resort (ABC, 8:00 - 9:00 PM), Up All Night (NBC, 8:30 - 9:00 PM), and The Big Bang Theory (CBS, 8:00 - 8:31 PM). That extra trailing minute at the end of BBT is what's screwing this whole thing up. Now I'm not sure what to do. There's no way to set recording options to end an episode 1 minute earlier (but you can begin 1 minute earlier, so why not end?), and by using manual recording, which I've never done, you can schedule a weekly recording at a certain time on a specific channel, but it won't know not to record if it's a repeat, right? What are my options?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Get an HR34 :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

In seriousness you could set up a manual recording for 8:00 to 8:30, just go into menu, recording, manage recordings. Manual record.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

In seriousness you could set up a manual recording for 8:00 to 8:30, just go into menu, recording, manage recordings. Manual record.

Yeah, that's what I did, but this will just record CBS every Thursday from 8 to 8:30, whether the episode is first run or not. So I guess I need to keep both so I can tell when to keep the manual version to record a new episode, or cancel the manual recording if no new episode is scheduled. Sort of messy and a pain, I guess, but I'm not getting a new DVR.

#5 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,270 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

I 'd look at this from a 4 program situation. I'd create and put in order the following...

1. Big Bang Theory
2. Last Resort
3. Up All Night
4. Manual, record from 8:30 - 9 NBC

Chances are Up All Night will be shown multiple times int he week, as that happens a lot with nbc shows.. Of course, ABC likes to do that too, with their newer series on saturday nights... Either way, I'd make all the regular series links as well, in case any of the shows changes days or the change the start and stop timing....

Either that or get an hr34.. :)

#6 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

I'll try that, too, thanks. What's with that :31, anyway?

#7 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

What's with that :31, anyway?

I've read on multiple Internet pages (so it must be right), that because of their higher ratings, some shows command higher commercial rates. So the networks take those shows and extend them by that minute to get additional revenues.

Multiple DVRs or the 34 will probably be the easiest solution since the shows you're interested in are not typically repeated throughout the week like on TNT or USA. Have you checked the network pages or VOD channels to see if they are streaming any of these shows at a later date?

#8 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

I'll try that, too, thanks. What's with that :31, anyway?

From what I've read trh is right about the commercial thing. It's all about the money.

...although, it just could be about messing with DVRs; creating an artificial conflict and keep the tuner on their channel. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#9 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

..although, it just could be about messing with DVRs; creating an artificial conflict and keep the tuner on their channel. :grin:

Mike

Which gets back to the bottom-line answer:

It's all about the money.

#10 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

I think I'll just cancel Last Resort and watch it on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/last-resort-2012

#11 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Did you try looking at upcoming showings of those shows? Many network shows (like Shark Tank) will repeat at least once during the week.

#12 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

I did, and none of them seem to do repeats throughout the week.

#13 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

How does a HR34 solve the issue?

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

I believe having 5 tuners solves it. There is no recording conflict in this scenario if you just had a 3rd tuner.

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

Can record 5 programs at once, and has twice (or more) the hard drive space of any other DirecTv DVR.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...