Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish cancelling my account?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

I went through 10 921 DVR's and one 942 before finally getting a stable unit: a 622. When the 622 arrived I purchased a UPS (battery backup/surge protector). That seemed to alleviate the short lifespan the previous models had.

You do have to put your DVR (any DVR) on standby from time to time, otherwise it can't update the software. It's not to "rest" the unit!

Have you tried appealing your case to a higher level? Maybe one of the DIRT team menders could look into your case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Looks like I'm going to go to Best Buy and pick up a Hauppage this evening, and start video dumping...

Wonder how long it will take for ~20TB? :)

#23 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

All 20TB? 2.3 years or so. :)

#24 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Not that it is a temperature issue but since my equipment sits in an equipment rack in a closet, I have one of those USB fans plugged into the USB port on my 722 and it runs constantly into the vent side of the 722.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#25 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

I still don't understand what any of this has to do with them giving you the boot.

Unless you've been , ummm, 'troublesome' on the phone.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#26 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

After rereading the posts, it sure sounds like a combination of Firmware updates on the 722s as they were common and problematic last year until a stable update came out. I had that problem with a 622 but now my 722s have been solid.
It also sounds a lot like temperature issues based on your fan description. I am assuming you have had the service plan through all of this.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#27 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

OK - my house was new construction when purchased 4 1/2 years ago. New sub-division. I purchased the first house in this sub-division. Now there are about 40 houses here. At least 8 others in my neighborhood have Dish, including my next-door neighbor.

House has RG-6 installed throughout.

A.C. power has been checked - multiple times. It is normally around 121 volts.

All signals check out fine: power, sat lines, RG-6.

I've had no issues with any other electronics. Computers, TV's, tread mill, light bulbs, etc. With "candle-style" bulbs in ceiling fans, I do replace one bulb every 2-3 months. But, considering that I have six of these four-light fixtures, that isn't out of the ordinary. I've replaced one CFL in the past four years.

Like I stated in the beginning, the first three years - I didn't have any issues.

One other note - have tried connecting directly to wall, connection to a single-outlet surge-protector (receiver only,) and connecting all equipment to a surge protector strip (receiver, TV, EHD power supply, DVD player.) At this moment, I have a 6-outlet surge protector connected to the wall outlet. I have TV, receiver, and EHD power supply connected. Nothing else.

Another note - when I had files that cross-linked, and one with an error, I did not have EHD or EHD power supply connected.

I would look at construction defects in the house--particularly faulty materials. There was a lot of drywall from China in use around the time that your house was built. Some of it was faulty, containing formaldehyde and other chemicals that would gradually vent out, sometimes causing destruction to equipment, including electrical equipment, plumbing, and wiring, as well as illness to occupants.

#28 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

I still don't understand what any of this has to do with them giving you the boot.

The only time that I have raised my voice was
- when my current receiver was.... when my current 922 was installed, then I lefft the next day and was out of town for three days.
- when I returned, I found that there were four events on the DVR that couldn't play due to error or cross-linking (just my words, as the channel that the event showed in the 1-2 seconds available was for the other event,)
- I called and asked what needed to be done.
- I was told that they would check and call me back within 48 hours.
- After 2 1/2 days, I called back to find out what was going on. I was told that there was a problem with my receiver, but they couldn't send me another one as I had two others that hadn't "cleared" yet.
- A couple of days later, after another DVR event with an error, I called back.
- This was a Saturday. I was told that I technician could come see about it on Monday afternoon.
- Monday came. Around 2pm, I realized that no one had called. I logged in to check My Appointments. There was none.
- I called Dish to see what was going on.
- I was told that "you were obviously mistaken about the appointment, because there isn't one scheduled."
- At that point... yes, I raised my voice. But no one seemed to care.
- On Thursday, a "supervisor" with executive resolution team said that he was going to send me another 922. I asked about going back to a 722, and was told that wasn't possible.
- On Monday, I called as this has not been shipped yet.
- The next call I received was that they were going to cancel my account because "Dish cannot provide the service that I deserve."

#29 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

...I am assuming you have had the service plan through all of this.

Yes, I've been paying it for over four years now.

#30 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

I would look at construction defects in the house--particularly faulty materials. There was a lot of drywall from China in use around the time that your house was built. Some of it was faulty, containing formaldehyde and other chemicals that would gradually vent out, sometimes causing destruction to equipment, including electrical equipment, plumbing, and wiring, as well as illness to occupants.

I have been craving egg rolls lately.

RG-6 was replaced within the past 6 months, from the LNB to the receiver.

While all the receivers have been an "irritation", I didn't get "ill" until I heard that they were going to discontinue my service...

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Random question... IF your house was new construction 4.5 years ago, why was there a need to replace the RG-6 within the last 6 months?

Only the new Hoppers actually require RG-6... RG-59 that is even 10+ years old should be fine for a 922... I know because that's what I had in a previous location before I moved.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#32 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Have you tried appealing your case to a higher level

He has made it clear that hes speaking to ERT agents, which IIRC are higher level then the DIRT agents who post here :)

Dish reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. That doesnt mean that all involuntarily canceled members have been harassing CSR's (though its usually the case).

If they see that he is constantly calling in and not getting his issue resolved there is 1 last resort to finally "dealing" with the problem.

@Op, I know your house is "new" but with how shady contractors are sometimes that doesnt mean the wiring is top notch. Dish receivers can be finicky if the wiring in a home isnt great or starts getting shorts.

Im almost positive the issue is somewhere in the wiring of your home rather then in the receivers, your issue is not common at all and its far to much of a coincidence to get that many "bad" receivers back to back.

#33 OFFLINE   gokartergo

gokartergo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

This is a long shot but.. What type of internet do you have?? I once did a install... Everything was fine.. 3 days later the customer calls me up.. Says the receiver is going crazy. I go in and attempt a check switch.. It wouldn't go through.. Finally on the third try it did.. I go out and follow the line I just put in.. Comcast grounded to the same source I had earlier.. I moved my ground and it was fine.. I know I am grasping at straws...

#34 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Dish reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. That doesnt mean that all involuntarily canceled members have been harassing CSR's (though its usually the case).

Given the number of service calls, no way the account could be profitable for Dish.

Source of problem? If drywall, why doesn't it affect other electronics. If electrical, why don't PCs reboot?

Wyy183, if you do get D*, please let us know if problem persists.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#35 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

One mouse in the wall, or with access to the coax, can and will eat the shield off the coax causing shorts. So will a 90 degree bend inside the wall during the initial run. Lots of possibilities. Best test, run a new coax outside the house and run it through a door or window temporarily, connect it up, and see if the problems disappear.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#36 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Random question... IF your house was new construction 4.5 years ago, why was there a need to replace the RG-6 within the last 6 months?

Only the new Hoppers actually require RG-6... RG-59 that is even 10+ years old should be fine for a 922... I know because that's what I had in a previous location before I moved.

RG-6 was replaced because it was an easy replacement, just to confirm that there wasn't a problem with it. (aka - grasping at straws.)

#37 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

This is a long shot but.. What type of internet do you have?? I once did a install... Everything was fine.. 3 days later the customer calls me up.. Says the receiver is going crazy. I go in and attempt a check switch.. It wouldn't go through.. Finally on the third try it did.. I go out and follow the line I just put in.. Comcast grounded to the same source I had earlier.. I moved my ground and it was fine.. I know I am grasping at straws...

For internet, I have Comcast "economy". I think it is 1MB, but $14.95/mo. I don't stream anything, just basic stuff. Most of my email I do on my phone...

Internet comes in to the east side of my house, via a separate RG-6. Box is attached to east side of my house. Ground wire runs out of box and is connected to a ground that it shares with an electrical panel there.

E* satellite is on the south side of my house. Splitters, separators, etc., are located about 5' from the dish, in the crawl-space of my house. Access door is right beside the dish which is bolted to lower-brick "foundation" of house. Dish, and all connectors are grounded to a copper water pipe.

They have removed ground, for a while. Redone ground, and wires on a separate trip weeks later.

#38 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

One mouse in the wall, or with access to the coax, can and will eat the shield off the coax causing shorts. So will a 90 degree bend inside the wall during the initial run. Lots of possibilities. Best test, run a new coax outside the house and run it through a door or window temporarily, connect it up, and see if the problems disappear.

Understood - see posts #30, and #36.

In addition, moved receiver from my bonus room to my living room.

On another note - all "hardware" where connections go, have been replaced, including the LNB (tech accidentally pulled dish loose from brick with doing that - DOH! Another tech who fixed it said, "he must have tried to stand on it or something!")

#39 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

He has made it clear that hes speaking to ERT agents, which IIRC are higher level then the DIRT agents who post here :)

If they see that he is constantly calling in and not getting his issue resolved there is 1 last resort to finally "dealing" with the problem.

When I heard that I was transferred to the ERT, and the first one that I talked to gave me her direct number, I thought that was a good thing.

YMMV - but my experience with the ERT was "there is no problem with the equipment or service - you are using the system outside of the design specifications. It is your fault."

There didn't seem to be anyone who was concerned about the issues. It seemed that there job was to be "No" people. Most CSR's seemed willing to help. No one on the ERT had that attitude, with me. I suppose I was on a "black list" of some kind...

I spoke with multiple people on the ERT. Four of them promised to call me back about issues. None of them did. It was an ERT supervisor who told me that recording to the DVR for more than 2 1/2 - 3 hours a day would cause the errors that I was having. (Maybe he doesn't realize that the DVR is recording the whole time that it is turned on, whether it is "recording" an event or just recording current tuner for "buffer.") Another person on the ERT told me that not turning the receiver off at least once a day, for several hours (overnight recommended,) would cause hard drive errors. Two of the techs who where here both said "That's the first I've heard of that! I (we) never turn mine (ours) off."

I got the impression that the ERT was comprised of people who they couldn't let go for some reason and had to have a place to put them. You know - can't fire them so you promote them.

Any, just my opinion, and my experience.

I've spent most of the past 15 years doing a variety of technical support. I know what it is like on the other end of the line, and know that it isn't an easy thing to do every day. However, when I told someone that I was going to do something (call them back, ship something, etc.) then I am going to do it. I guess it comes down to integrity.

==============================

Hauppauge is up and running. My 2nd movie is finishing now. This will be handy no matter whose service I have in the future.

#40 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Ground wire runs out of box and is connected to a ground that it shares with an electrical panel there.

Dish, and all connectors are grounded to a copper water pipe.

They have removed ground, for a while. Redone ground, and wires on a separate trip weeks later.

You are on the right track. Your DISH system MUST be grounded to the same ground rod as the Electric and Internet, or you are going to create a ground loop. They need to run a ground from the dish to the electric service ground (which I believe is what their installation instructions call for, but I dont have a copy to look at). Anything in your home entertainment system that is interconnected (via video, audio, HDMI, etc) should share the same ground as the electric service. In addition, make sure ALL your home entertainment equipment, power supplies, Dish LNB powered multiswitches, etc, are plugged into the SAME BRANCH circuit if you have a 220V house feed. All on L1, or all on L2, but not half on 1, half on 2. Voltage variations between L1 and L2 can cause issues rarely, but you are hunting a ghost here.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...