Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish cancelling my account?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

I know it is a big task, but I would recommend opening up the walls and looking at conditions inside where the wiring is running. You might be surprised at what you find. Also open up your breaker box and see what things look like where the switches are seated. However, unless you are a licensed contractor and electrician, I strongly recommend that you hire someone to do this in your presence. I don't want to see anyone injured. Electricity is dangerous.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

I am expecting someone to suggest you call Ghostbusters here shortly.
It sounds like you have pretty well eliminated the Coax as a problem especially since you have had some of it replaced.
Electrical power problems can be a bit tricky. The first one I would check would be to get one of those simple 3 prong plug checkers that makes sure that your outlets are properly wired. It will show a missing ground or reversed Hot and Neutral lines. If there was a contractor problem in terms of flaky wiring this might show it. To check the actual outlet, you would need a voltmeter to plug into one set of the Duplex outlets and a Hair Dryer for the other side. Turn the hair dryer on and see if the voltage at the outlet drops by more than a volt or 2. If it doesn't drop then you know that you have solid connections to the panel and street for that path. Any resistive connections would cause the voltage to drop more than that. As stated by others the probability of that many consecutive bad units is near impossible. Kind of like the chances of winning the lottery. That then implies that something in your system is causing these units to fail. I don't buy the chemical or bad sheetrock argument as that would take some time to cause the level of corrosion that would cause a failure. The more likely item is some sort of transient on one of the lines coming into the receiver. Power, Coax, Internet or the output lines going to a TV, flat panel etc. You can disconnect the Internet and the system will still run. Checking the output would require connecting to a different output device. I would think that transients on your power lines would have also damaged other equipment.
At this point it looks like you are headed for a change of service. Do keep us informed of the way things work out as this has been an interesting situation.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#43 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

You are on the right track. Your DISH system MUST be grounded to the same ground rod as the Electric and Internet, or you are going to create a ground loop. They need to run a ground from the dish to the electric service ground (which I believe is what their installation instructions call for, but I dont have a copy to look at). Anything in your home entertainment system that is interconnected (via video, audio, HDMI, etc) should share the same ground as the electric service. In addition, make sure ALL your home entertainment equipment, power supplies, Dish LNB powered multiswitches, etc, are plugged into the SAME BRANCH circuit if you have a 220V house feed. All on L1, or all on L2, but not half on 1, half on 2. Voltage variations between L1 and L2 can cause issues rarely, but you are hunting a ghost here.

This makes perfect sense to me, and I'm most certainly familiar with L1, L2 as I have done X-10 devices at different times.

922, TV, DVD, EHD connections are on the same outlet.

#44 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

I know it is a big task, but I would recommend opening up the walls and looking at conditions inside where the wiring is running. You might be surprised at what you find. Also open up your breaker box and see what things look like where the switches are seated. However, unless you are a licensed contractor and electrician, I strongly recommend that you hire someone to do this in your presence. I don't want to see anyone injured. Electricity is dangerous.

Thanks for the warning; however, I've spent my share of time inside breaker boxes. I've flipped my share of Main's in my life (probably more than 100.)

My house actually has two full-size (20+ slot) breaker boxes. One in my garage that services my kitchen, kitchen appliances, garage, hot water heater, bonus room, bonus room HVAC unit, etc. The other one is the "main" and is on the opposite end of the house, which does living room, 3 BR's, 2 baths, laundry, and heat pump.

#45 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Based on your comments, you are pretty familiar with electrical systems. If you have a scope, you might try looking at any line transients generated when either your HVAC or Heat Pump turn on. They are probably the biggest draws and both with large motors could be introducing some good sized transients on the line.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#46 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

I am expecting someone to suggest you call Ghostbusters here shortly.

I did: 1-800-433-DISH :)

It sounds like you have pretty well eliminated the Coax as a problem especially since you have had some of it replaced.

Yep.

Electrical power problems can be a bit tricky. The first one I would check would be to get one of those simple 3 prong plug checkers that makes sure that your outlets are properly wired. It will show a missing ground or reversed Hot and Neutral lines. If there was a contractor problem in terms of flaky wiring this might show it. To check the actual outlet, you would need a voltmeter to plug into one set of the Duplex outlets and a Hair Dryer for the other side. Turn the hair dryer on and see if the voltage at the outlet drops by more than a volt or 2. If it doesn't drop then you know that you have solid connections to the panel and street for that path. Any resistive connections would cause the voltage to drop more than that. As stated by others the probability of that many consecutive bad units is near impossible. Kind of like the chances of winning the lottery. That then implies that something in your system is causing these units to fail. I don't buy the chemical or bad sheetrock argument as that would take some time to cause the level of corrosion that would cause a failure. The more likely item is some sort of transient on one of the lines coming into the receiver. Power, Coax, Internet or the output lines going to a TV, flat panel etc. You can disconnect the Internet and the system will still run. Checking the output would require connecting to a different output device. I would think that transients on your power lines would have also damaged other equipment.

Field service manager brought a plug-in tester. Other techs have, as well. Every outlet they have checked has been wired fine.

Right - I've had zero problems with any electronics: TV's, desktop computer (on a different circuit or the same circuit.)

Haven't done the hairdryer test, but I might try that later, just for the fun of it.

At this point it looks like you are headed for a change of service. Do keep us informed of the way things work out as this has been an interesting situation.

I've been trying to get D* setup, but my bank hosed up my account. They lost my address in a "glitch" they had. It also separated my debit card from my account. These disabled my account. Should be fixed by Monday.

Maybe I need to write a book? Play the lottery like you said? :confused:

#47 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Based on your comments, you are pretty familiar with electrical systems. If you have a scope, you might try looking at any line transients generated when either your HVAC or Heat Pump turn on. They are probably the biggest draws and both with large motors could be introducing some good sized transients on the line.

I have a stethoscope, but I think the patient is already dead! No pulse... :D

#48 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

I have to say, your humor through this situation is admirable.
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#49 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Has DISH given a date when service will be terminated?

#50 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

There didn't seem to be anyone who was concerned about the issues. It seemed that there job was to be "No" people. Most CSR's seemed willing to help. No one on the ERT had that attitude, with me. I suppose I was on a "black list" of some kind...

The big difference here is the CSR's calls get randomly recorded ;)
Once you go above the CSR level (be it frontline, loyalty or advanced tech/Dr. Dish) and speak to supervisor+ level agents you always run the chance of running into someone whos been there long enough to know there not getting recorded.
When I worked there, I used to hear a loyalty supervisor drop F-Bombs to customers if they agitated her enough lol.

So I doubt you were on a "black list" Im pretty sure they just didnt care.
About there "suggestions", the recording thing is them grasping at straws to make up an excuse to get you off there call.

The "leaving it off" thing while a bit exaggerated actually has basis in truth. It is definitely recommended to atleast power down your receiver every now and again. Though for a minimum of 1 minute (for a full power down). Anything beyond that is over kill and makes no difference unless your wanting to let it cool off.
Theres a reason why front line CSR's always ask if you have powered it down recently, and thats because habitual powering down of Receivers can extend there lifetime greatly.

I got the impression that the ERT was comprised of people who they couldn't let go for some reason and had to have a place to put them. You know - can't fire them so you promote them.

:lol: If only lol. ERT is generally filled with agents who have been there atleast a year and were probably either supervisors or CSS (basically supervisors without teams under them).
They *can* be really helpful but like you have experienced there are always going to be people there who dont care and that department makes it really easy for them not to.

#51 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Has DISH given a date when service will be terminated?

According to the letter that I received, the date has passed...

I guess they haven't been able to send a "hit" to it to shut it down yet. ;)

They are supposed to send box(es) for return. No box(es) have arrived yet.

According to My Account info on-line, I'm still active.

I'm dumping stuff from EHD's thru HD PVR to "reclaimed" EHD connected to computer, as fast as I can.

Edited by wyy183, 21 September 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

I have to say, your humor through this situation is admirable.

When it reaches a certain point, you have to laugh. This is one of the dumbest things I've seen in my life - for a variety of reasons.

#53 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

So I doubt you were on a "black list" Im pretty sure they just didnt care.

There was a young tech here back in February. He added in his call notes something like "customer is using equipment in a manner which it is not designed." This wasn't even a Dish person, but a dealer...

The "leaving it off" thing while a bit exaggerated actually has basis in truth. It is definitely recommended to atleast power down your receiver every now and again. Though for a minimum of 1 minute (for a full power down). Anything beyond that is over kill and makes no difference unless your wanting to let it cool off.
Theres a reason why front line CSR's always ask if you have powered it down recently, and thats because habitual powering down of Receivers can extend there lifetime greatly.

I always have the inactivity time set at 4 hours for standby. Occasionally, I have had something recording where it didn't do its 3:00am shutdown. Maybe even two days in a row a couple of times. It still goes into standby. I was told that going into standby wasn't the same as turning it off. I had 722 for nearly 4 years. The only time it was turned off was when I was moving the receiver for some reason (new TV stand, for example.)

Some comedy - with the third 922, I had turned it off when I went to be around Midnight. Update was scheduled for 3:00am. I had a movie scheduled to record from 5:00am - 7:00am. Later, there was a CMT show scheduled to record from 10:00am - 12:30pm. I don't always fire up my TV when I get up. I turned it on around 10:30am. Then I noticed that the CMT event wasn't recording. The timer had started, but the recording hadn't. While looking around, I noticed the movie was showing 5 instances. Yes, the receiver had rebooted five times during the movie. Interestingly enough, the movie was "Going Ape!"

ERT rep told me that my receiver would not reboot that many times, even though it showed STB reboot (Set Top Box) in the Daily Schedule for the movie. He said that the receiver wouldn't do that, and that I was looking at something wrong AND I had, obviously, not turned the receiver off as I thought that I had.

I guess what amazes me, is the they assume that I'm totally clueless. I've been in the IT world for over 30 years. I've worked in CSR role. I've worked in support for Fortune 500 companies. I've done system admin work for over 15 years. I've done a variety of programming. I can even set the time on most VCR's! :D

#54 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

I have 4 receivers and all are allowed to do their nightly reboot and download, then I have them wake up with an auto-tune timer and they are on the other 23 hours a day.

A lot of what you have been told is pure D BS., many people record 10+ hours a day with no repercussions.

It sounds like they were exasperated with your situation and did not know what to to, so they seized on the comment of an ignoramous and used it to terminate your account.

I hope you have better luck at DirecTV and I appreciate your attitude in this circumstance, I have seen other posters here go ballistic over 5% of what you've put up with.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#55 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

I have the HD PVR. I'm dumping what I can. I've gone thru and prioritized the top 100 recordings that I have, that I want to capture.

My PC is close to 10 years old. I've updated the RAM, HD, and have a dual-layer DVD burner. I'm trying to burn a test DVD at this time. Processor is running 100% with a single-session Firefox being the only other thing running. So for it has been running for about 2 hours, and is about 30% done. Maybe by morning? PC has a single-cord 2 GHz processor. I also killed all non-essential processes and halted anti-virus prior to this test. Just want to make sure that it actually works the way it is supposed to. I can live with it taking a day to create a DVD, if necessary (just do one a day for the next 14 years?) But, I want to have the things that I enjoy, and that won't be repeated - saved. If receiver is still active, I will start with some of my favorite movies and TV-series. Once I have things on EHD on PC, then I can burn DVD's as I desire.

Capturing doesn't seem to be an issue, CPU runs less than 10%. The process of creating a standard DVD from a HD capture seems to be working the hampsters fairly hard.

This might be a good excuse for me to get a more up-to-date computer? :)

#56 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

...A lot of what you have been told is pure D BS., many people record 10+ hours a day with no repercussions.

It sounds like they were exasperated with your situation and did not know what to to, so they seized on the comment of an ignoramous and used it to terminate your account.

I hope you have better luck at DirecTV and I appreciate your attitude in this circumstance, I have seen other posters here go ballistic over 5% of what you've put up with.

I appreciate your comments. I've been around long enough to recognize the BS, and to understand that some people just aren't comfortable with the truth. I can't change them, nor can I control their actions. I am responsible and accountable for my own actions. At the end of the day, when I look in the mirror, I hold myself accountable for my actions. Occasionally, there are a few knots on my forehead from beating my head against the wall; but those provide opportunities for learning and healing.

OK - enough of that! My head is spinning! :roundandr

#57 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

I have the HD PVR. I'm dumping what I can. I've gone thru and prioritized the top 100 recordings that I have, that I want to capture.

My PC is close to 10 years old. I've updated the RAM, HD, and have a dual-layer DVD burner. I'm trying to burn a test DVD at this time. Processor is running 100% with a single-session Firefox being the only other thing running. So for it has been running for about 2 hours, and is about 30% done. Maybe by morning? PC has a single-cord 2 GHz processor. I also killed all non-essential processes and halted anti-virus prior to this test. Just want to make sure that it actually works the way it is supposed to. I can live with it taking a day to create a DVD, if necessary (just do one a day for the next 14 years?) But, I want to have the things that I enjoy, and that won't be repeated - saved. If receiver is still active, I will start with some of my favorite movies and TV-series. Once I have things on EHD on PC, then I can burn DVD's as I desire.

Capturing doesn't seem to be an issue, CPU runs less than 10%. The process of creating a standard DVD from a HD capture seems to be working the hampsters fairly hard.

This might be a good excuse for me to get a more up-to-date computer? :)

I have a hauppauge 1212 that I use primarily for recording Battlefield 3 gaming on console for my blog and YT but some tips ;

Make sure your recording in M2TS.

Reboot the PVR about every 5 hours of continual use, Every now and again I get one recording that my PC thinks is like 5 hours long when its really 30 minutes. Scrubbing through on windows media player is a pain in the ass with these because if you go to say 5 minutes in, scrub forward, then back to 5 minutes , the scene at 5 minutes is completely different. The timeline seems to have repeats of the same recording over layed each other. Very wonky.

I havent tried burning one of those screwed up recordings, but they have caused some of video editing software to run incredibly slow. In fact to date the only software that managed to work well with it was Adobe Premier pro, it crashed Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects when I tried to edit the glitched recording xD

#58 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I have a hauppauge 1212 that I use primarily for recording Battlefield 3 gaming on console for my blog and YT but some tips ;

Make sure your recording in M2TS.

Reboot the PVR about every 5 hours of continual use, Every now and again I get one recording that my PC thinks is like 5 hours long when its really 30 minutes. Scrubbing through on windows media player is a pain in the ass with these because if you go to say 5 minutes in, scrub forward, then back to 5 minutes , the scene at 5 minutes is completely different. The timeline seems to have repeats of the same recording over layed each other. Very wonky.

I havent tried burning one of those screwed up recordings, but they have caused some of video editing software to run incredibly slow. In fact to date the only software that managed to work well with it was Adobe Premier pro, it crashed Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects when I tried to edit the glitched recording xD

I'm currently recording in MP4, as I'm looking at getting a "Western Digital - WD TV Live Media Player," which I can hook my USB drive(s) directly to and play back movies and other recordings without needed to burn them to a disc. It doesn't list M2TS or TS as supported playback options.

#59 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

There was a young tech here back in February. He added in his call notes something like "customer is using equipment in a manner which it is not designed." This wasn't even a Dish person, but a dealer...

Did you happen to get his name? No way a dealer should impact you in this way. You clearly have a problem with your A/C service and this kid could not recognize the issue.

Personal opinions are not facts, this kid made an accusation that is unfounded. How were you using the equipment in a manor that it was not designed? I'd fight for my rights to maintain your account.

#60 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Personal opinions are not facts, this kid made an accusation that is unfounded. How were you using the equipment in a manor that it was not designed? I'd fight for my rights to maintain your account.

You have no right to a Dish account. Check the terms and conditions and it clearly says Dish can terminate your account at any time for any reason. Yeah, the using equipment improperly comment was wrong, but if Dish wants to screw themselves out of a paying customer, that is their right. Now, you could call up and tell them you're filing a complaint with the BBB, which may or may not get you any action or resolution, but the fact is that Dish breaks no law in canceling your account.

Note that when Dish cancels your account, no ETF applies.

spam firewall