Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple HR34s in one house?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

We are building a new home. In the home our plan is to have 3 HR34s (of which I one now) and 2 HR2xs (of which I have none now).

Are there any issues I need to consider in the design of the hookups?

And does my configuration blow some DirecTV limit or restriction or whatever?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Currently, DirecTV allows no more than one HR34 on an account.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Also going over 16 tuners can increase some costs to you.

Perhaps a more detailed account of what you are wanting to do would help. Saying that you want 19 tuners to record in 5 rooms doesn't give much to go on and just closes down options.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,793 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

The 19 tuners is not a problem from a technical perspective, it can be easily supported (at additional cost).

The limit of one HR34 per account certainly is a constraint at this point. That limit might be raised in the future, but there are not even rumors at this point in time as to when that might happen (if it happens).

You should plan now for one HR34 and multiple HR2x units to satisfy all of your TV locations. That should put you at 13 tuners, which is supported by an SWM16 multiswitch. That will also allow you whole-home between all the units (if you want it).

#5 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

Also going over 16 tuners can increase some costs to you.

Perhaps a more detailed account of what you are wanting to do would help. Saying that you want 19 tuners to record in 5 rooms doesn't give much to go on and just closes down options.

I like HR34s having 100 series links and I like not having to record something on another dvr just because I've already got 2 things recording in one time spot.

On the other hand I've been having video and audio glitches on my hr34 which may or may not be a problem that all hr34s suffer from.

All dvrs as shipped from directv don't have enough space for us but I will fix that on all dvrs I get by adding a 2tb external or internal drives as I have on every dvr I've ever owned from direcTV.

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

I like HR34s having 100 series links and I like not having to record something on another dvr just because I've already got 2 things recording in one time spot.

On the other hand I've been having video and audio glitches on my hr34 which may or may not be a problem that all hr34s suffer from.

All dvrs as shipped from directv don't have enough space for us but I will fix that on all dvrs I get by adding a 2tb external or internal drives as I have on every dvr I've ever owned from direcTV.

Then it sounds like you're going to have to get more HD DVR's.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

The 19 tuners is not a problem from a technical perspective, it can be easily supported (at additional cost).

The limit of one HR34 per account certainly is a constraint at this point. That limit might be raised in the future, but there are not even rumors at this point in time as to when that might happen (if it happens).

You should plan now for one HR34 and multiple HR2x units to satisfy all of your TV locations. That should put you at 13 tuners, which is supported by an SWM16 multiswitch. That will also allow you whole-home between all the units (if you want it).

What is the HR34 limit actually?

If I buy 2 or 3 HR34s from Weakness, will DirecTV let me hook them up or is the limit that if I already have one HR34, DirecTV will not sell me another one?

#8 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

If I buy 2 or 3 HR34s from Weakness, will DirecTV let me hook them up or is the limit that if I already have one HR34, DirecTV will not sell me another one?

It's 1 per account period. Even if one was able to activate additional HR34s, there have been reports of DirecTV systematically deactivating afterwords a 2nd one with no refund.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

See post #2 in this thread. Carl Spock already gave you the answer.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,793 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

As others have noted, it is ONE per account PERIOD (at this time).

Also remember, no matter where you get an HR34, it will be leased. Prior to activation, I think you can return it to the vendor for refund, but after activation if you deactivate it it must be returned to DirecTV and you do not get any part of the initial cost returned. This is from the Weakness web site page on the HR34:

"Please note that DirecTV generally considers all new equipment activated after March, 2006 to be leased equipment. DirecTV will often only allow one HR34 to be active per account."

#11 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

It's 1 per account period. Even if one was able to activate additional HR34s, there have been reports of DirecTV systematically deactivating afterwords a 2nd one with no refund.

Here is a thread from another forum of a member getting an additional 'Owned' HR34 activated on there account only to have it stop working hours later: http://www.highdeffo...two-hr-34s.html In this case it appears they did receive some sort of credit for the mistake...

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

Which is why unless his "My Setup" info. is just out of date, or he's headed for bad news in the future when DIRECTV eventually deactivates the second box, I still don't understand how Sixto pulled it off with two activated "owned" HR34s on his account. :confused:

http://www.dbstalk.c...100#post3046100

#13 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

Which is why unless his "My Setup" info. is just out of date, or he's headed for bad news in the future when DIRECTV eventually deactivates the second box, I still don't understand how Sixto pulled it off with two activated "owned" HR34s on his account. :confused:

http://www.dbstalk.c...100#post3046100

If D* allows a second HR34 to be activated (remember, they completely control the activation process), at that point, it is on them and they are just asking for legal headaches if they deactivate the receiver and force the customer to send it back.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#14 OFFLINE   ronkuba

ronkuba

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

I have two hr34's. Bought them when they first came out.
(2)HR34-700:D
Swim16 All networked via DECA
Samsung PN64D8000
Samsung 40" LCD TV
Directv since 1995

#15 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

We are building a new home. In the home our plan is to have 3 HR34s (of which I one now) and 2 HR2xs (of which I have none now).

Are there any issues I need to consider in the design of the hookups?

And does my configuration blow some DirecTV limit or restriction or whatever?

Thanks!

Do you really need that much recording space?
And how many TVs will be involved?
If you think you may need to record more than 5 channels at a time, then add another HR2X DVR.
Have you thought about using C31 RVU clients on other TVs?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#16 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

If you think you may need to record more than 5 channels at a time, then add another HR2X DVR.

I do some crazy installs, including houses with up to 12 TVs. Typically we put in 3/4 2 tuner DVRs in a house, all on a matrix switch, and that's more than enough. One for each person.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#17 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

We are in an apartment now. In our old house we had 3 hr20s with 2tb on each one and generally had them 80%+ full

We like to record entire seasons of a show and then watch them all at once over a few nights. 24 was was especially great watching it that way.

If I had my way, I would have a 100tb system with a back up and just record everything that looked interesting.

#18 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

If I had my way, I would have a 100tb system with a back up and just record everything that looked interesting.

:eek2:
You win. Posted Image
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#19 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

...If I had my way, I would have a 100tb system with a back up and just record everything that looked interesting.

You have a lower threshold for "interesting" than we do. :eek2:

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#20 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

If D* allows a second HR34 to be activated (remember, they completely control the activation process), at that point, it is on them and they are just asking for legal headaches if they deactivate the receiver and force the customer to send it back.

I think what may have happened is that if you did something like outright purchase two HR34s very early in their release when the activation rules were not well established, it opened a loop-hole to activate multiple units which has since long been closed down.

But I would think that still means a second HR34 is subject to a turn off at any time. So Sixto and others may be on borrowed time, unless DIRECTV is going to permit a type of grandfather status to those very early multiple HR34 activations.

spam firewall