Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple HR34s in one house?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,322 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

It's always hilarious when Dish subscribers chime in about DirecTV hardware.

It is even more precious that storage space could be considered an issue that could only be understood and appreciated by a DIRECTV customer.

The error comes in assuming that my comments are meant to foster a comparison when they clearly stand alone. The fact is that many DIRECTV subscribers have asked the question about why only 1TB.

I've drawn no comparisons to what DISH does; that's territory seems to be well covered by the DIRECTV apologists in defense of DIRECTV's business decisions; the details and motivations for which are likely no better known by the typical DIRECTV subscriber as anyone else.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,322 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

And a particularly ironic criticism considering the Dish Hopper effectively offers the same 1 TB HDD in user space in spite of its 2 TB size.

The more relevant issue is how large a slice of the 1TB pie DIRECTV is commandeering and whether or not it depends on the capacity of the drive. We recall from the HR2x it was about 100MB (20-30% of the total drive capacity).

If DIRECTV has reserved a quarter or even half of the drive, it may be significant.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#43 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,611 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

It is even more precious that storage space could be considered an issue that could only be understood and appreciated by a DIRECTV customer.

The error comes in assuming that my comments are meant to foster a comparison when they clearly stand alone. The fact is that many DIRECTV subscribers have asked the question about why only 1TB.

I've drawn no comparisons to what DISH does; that's territory seems to be well covered by the DIRECTV apologists in defense of DirecTV's business decisions; the details and motivations for which are likely no better known by the typical DIRECTV subscriber as anyone else.

You're missing the point.

You raised storage as a point in your comment: "There have been more than a few nags about why a 1TB drive was chosen in the first place."

There IS NO SUBSTANTIVE ISSUE on this topic for most users. There is 2TB of storage available if needed, and 1TB in the base unit. It is also known that the space used for the "Genie Recommends" feature doesn't significantly impact an end user's ability to store tons of content on those large hard drives.

The sky is not falling as your original posted statement infers.

So since the topic at hand is about coexistence of HR34 multiple units, maybe it's time to go back down that path. :shrug:

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 27 September 2012 - 01:01 PM.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#44 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

I hope one day same kind of rule in your life will teach you support something more reasonable: like you must have one car, or one pair of pants ... :(

I can only have one wife. So far it's perfect for me.

Perhaps you can explain how not having 2 HR34's would limit you so significantly compared to only have one car or pair of pants. Unlike DISH you don't have to only have one type of technology so it's not like you're limited in expansion.

Shades, by this can you clarify?

That there will be NO exceptions, ALL those who managed to get multiple activated HR34s, no matter when or how, over one will eventually be found and systematically have the additional one(s) turned off?

Of course I won't say that. There are already exceptions and perhaps they stay or they don't. I can already think of scenarios where there will be future exceptions to the no more than 1 HMC rule however I also have a feeling that unlike other exceptions people just won't know about them anymore.

However the normal games that people play to try and get what they want won't work with this one because it's being enforeced systemically so even if you had someone who chose to ignore the rule the systems won't allow them.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,712 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

And a particularly ironic criticism considering the Dish Hopper effectively offers the same 1 TB HDD in user space in spite of its 2 TB size.

From the EKB:

"2TB hard disk drive, 250HD/1000SD hours of user space, Dish and user partition sizes are 1TB each"

http://www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

BobaBird didn't updated the info, but in last versions of h2k's FW the limit for a user raised to 1.2 Gb (officially, but seen that QUOTA table, I would say it's up to 1.5 GB user space ). Other thing, he need to get rid of the incorrect info provided by dish marketing ppl: there are no user/system partitions; just one 1.9 TB with three folders - see my posts about h2k's QUOTA )

#46 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

BobaBird didn't updated the info, but in last versions of h2k's FW the limit for a user raised to 1.2 Gb (officially, but seen that QUOTA table, I would say it's up to 1.5 GB user space ). Other thing, he need to get rid of the incorrect info provided by dish marketing ppl: there are no user/system partitions; just one 1.9 TB with three folders - see my posts about h2k's QUOTA )

For all intent and purposes partition fits the description fine. It doesn't matter if it's done with folders or actual drive partitions the space is divided and cannot be modified by the user. If they did actually use partitions changing space allocations would be significantly more dificult, time consuming, and could potentially lose customer's data. So while being "technically" right it's not really relevant or adding any value to the issue.

Then again this thread isn't about HD space but yet you keep posting about it.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,712 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Perhaps you'll re-read main point of the thread - customers want more HR34s to have more space.
So, the posts are relevant. Keep your focus ...

#48 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Perhaps you'll re-read main point of the thread - customers want more HR34s to have more space.
So, the posts are relevant. Keep your focus ...

Which has already been explained that having more hd dvr's with 2TB HD will provide more space than 2 HR34 with 2 TB HDs.

#49 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,712 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

Why you insist on absolute of the temporary company's rules. Go with them, work for them, but don't tell me it should be that way.

#50 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

Why you insist on absolute of the temporary company's rules. Go with them, work for them, but don't tell me it should be that way.

So I can't tell you it should be that way but you should be able to tell me it shouldn't? That makes sense.

I don't expect the power users, or DISH subs apparently, on here to like or agree with it. Anyone can come up with reasons that something should or shouldn't be done but from a business aspect it makes sense.

#51 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

However the normal games that people play to try and get what they want won't work with this one because it's being enforeced systemically so even if you had someone who chose to ignore the rule the systems won't allow them.

Again, you try and put the blame back on the customer for "ingoring the rules". Directv's track record of making sure distributors place customers on notice of key, material terms isn't the greatest (see the issues when the lease program first came into fruition).

If you think it is a good business practice to shut a DVR a customer has dropped $399 for the pleasure of leasing because they had no idea about an arbitrary rule and D*'s own employees allowed them to activate that same receiver, then I can't help that.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#52 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

Anyone can come up with reasons that something should or shouldn't be done but from a business aspect it makes sense.

If supply's are no longer constrained, what business sense does it make to aggravate high monthly revenue customers? Is it because they know we have no where to go? Will this policy change once the HR34 has been out 2+ years and those customers who have one will no longer be under a contract and can go elsewhere?

If it is about revenue, then charge $10/mo for the second HR34, then $15 for the third, etc.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#53 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Which has already been explained that having more hd dvr's with 2TB HD will provide more space than 2 HR34 with 2 TB HDs.

I think what it comes down to is the convenience of having only two receivers with 10 tuners rather than having five receivers with 10 tuners because it allows for things to be spread across only two receivers instead of five.

#54 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

The guess for some time now has been that the single HR34 restriction has less to do with supply, and rather possibly more to do with RVU and some multiple HR34 RVU coexistence items. Just a guess, and it's not clear if it's more a technical item or a billing system (RVU client registration) item, or both, but we all know as factual that multiple HR34's have an MRV issue, and there's also no way to easily switch RVU servers with the NR firmware, so it hints at something in that area.

Edited by Sixto, 28 September 2012 - 02:37 PM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#55 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I think what it comes down to is the convenience of having only two receivers with 10 tuners rather than having five receivers with 10 tuners because it allows for things to be spread across only two receivers instead of five.

Which would be less of an issue if we had collaborative scheduling and Whole Home ToDo List* access.

* Note that even if we did have Whole Home TODO List, that it would be hidden so we couldn't find it. We may actually have it now but can't find it. ;):lol:

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#56 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

You're also have to factor in the cost of installations. 2 HMC automatically require a SWM 16 as opposed to a SWM 8. There could also be future software changes that would cause issues with multople HMC's on an account that causes conflicts with RVU. Then there's the cost of the HMC itself vs the leased price.

Again, you try and put the blame back on the customer for "ingoring the rules". Directv's track record of making sure distributors place customers on notice of key, material terms isn't the greatest (see the issues when the lease program first came into fruition).

If you think it is a good business practice to shut a DVR a customer has dropped $399 for the pleasure of leasing because they had no idea about an arbitrary rule and D*'s own employees allowed them to activate that same receiver, then I can't help that.

I don't "blame" anyone but anyone who reads this board knows that there are people who play "the game" to get what they want. They lie, threaten, call back until they get someone who doesn't know, or care, about what should actually be done, or they just email Ellen's team non stop. Now some people will say it's DIRECTV's fault if someone can get them to do it. Just like it's a person's fault when they get scammed by someone. If someone now ignores, or isn't told, about the rule of one HMC then it doesn't matter because the system has rules in place that will stop it. This will allow the person to contact their seller and return the unit. Since it's not activated there should not be an issue with a return.

You choose to think people didn't do this intentionally and some may not have. However most knew the rule and chose to ignore it thinking that if they could get it activated then DIRECTV would give them a pass. This is how it's happened in the past but not on this issue. I'm not sure why you always pioneer the argument about this but the bottom line is that DIRECTV has the right to do so. If you don't like it fine but it's not going to change no matter how many threads you keep bringing it up. How many instances have you seen where this has happened? I bet less people were impacted than the amount of posts you have made about it.

Edited by Shades228, 28 September 2012 - 08:55 PM.

spam firewall