Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange PTAT Activity

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jwt0001

jwt0001

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

I turned on PTAT for the first time on Saturday. When I checked what I had on Sunday morning, most of the shows seemed to contain no content. When I click on one and started it, it immediately indicated that the show was over and didn't play anything.

Obviously, I may be not understanding something correctly, so I would appreciate any information.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,782 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Did you have weather problems or otherwise signal outages Saturday night?

Signal outages at any point in the PTAT time period seem to often result in the whole night's recordings being corrupted even if the signal outage is a brief one.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,966 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

No, it was a visit of MIB. :D Because your DVR accidentally recorded alien's transmission.

#4 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

That would explain why he dosent remember :-)

#5 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

So that's what happened......thank you.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#6 OFFLINE   jwt0001

jwt0001

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

Of course, none of this answers my question, but thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

There has been a history of PTAT not working correctly the first couple of days when put in use. See how it is tomorrow.

#8 OFFLINE   jwt0001

jwt0001

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

That must have been it. Last night's shows were perfect.

#9 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Is there a way to extend PTAT? Looks like it records 3 minutes early and 1 minute late, no matter what DVR settings are. Be nice to make all PTAT record +15 minutes.... or change the +1 to "0", so there would be more timer options at 10:00 PM on other channels.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Is there a way to extend PTAT? Looks like it records 3 minutes early and 1 minute late, no matter what DVR settings are. Be nice to make all PTAT record +15 minutes.... or change the +1 to "0", so there would be more timer options at 10:00 PM on other channels.

The PTAT window is set by DISH. It has changed over time ... and DISH adjusts it to cover scheduled Prime Time programming that starts or ends outside of prime time.

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

I've seen problems with Sunday Night Football being cut with about 2 minutes to go a couple of times along with numerous preseason games as well.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,782 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:51 AM

I've seen problems with Sunday Night Football being cut with about 2 minutes to go a couple of times along with numerous preseason games as well.

I suspect the PTAT only records until whatever the EPG has the scheduled end time to be, maybe with a default 1 minute overage... and since most games run a little long, you probably will almost never get Sunday Night Football (or MLB or NCAA when those are running in primetime) in their entirety.

What would be nice is IF PTAT gave you an option to extend the end-time the same way you can other timers. You might even be able to catch a late night talk show if you were able to extend a full 90 minutes.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:31 AM

The PTAT window is shown in the "Daily Schedule" each day.
For example, on Saturday my receiver is showing 7:27pm-11:31pm. Sunday is 6:57pm-11:31pm. That places the current padding at 3 minutes before and 1 minute after the scheduled Prime Time block.

Earlier this year the block was slightly bigger.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,782 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

I was thinking too... I know they added the ability to shut off PTAT some days of the week, shut off some channels, and lower the number of days from the 8 maximum...

It might be awkward on a GUI, but I wonder if a matrix config screen might not be nice so that you didn't have to make these decisions for every channel, every night, identically.

By which I mean... Would it be nice to not record NBC on Monday if you know nothing comes on Mondays that you want... but record it other days? Right now, I believe you can shut down NBC for the whole week but not for just a specific day.

For me... since I watch Sunday Night Football live... I would know that during NFL season I would not need to record NBC on Sunday nights... and since I watch college football on Saturdays I could probably cut ABC out of most Saturday nights too.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

A more complicated matrix would probably just confuse people. Choosing channels helps on the legal issue (the customer DECIDED to record their affiliate ... they are not forced to record it). The choice of days of the week might be helpful to some who "never watch TV on a Thursday" - I suppose. The number of days saved is the best option added ... why save 8 days if that customer only goes back 2 days?

But one thing I would like added is the intelligence to know what channels are part of the big four 24/7. If a timer is set on NBC at the same time as CBS let the timers share the same tuner ... regardless of time of day. It would take additional logic but it should not be impossible.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,782 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

But one thing I would like added is the intelligence to know what channels are part of the big four 24/7. If a timer is set on NBC at the same time as CBS let the timers share the same tuner ... regardless of time of day. It would take additional logic but it should not be impossible.

That would be a slick feature... I hadn't thought about that since I don't typically record much outside of primetime on the big 4... but that doesn't mean other people wouldn't... like people who watch daytime soaps or talk shows, perhaps.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...