Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H34 HMC power use

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

I can appreciate the gesture and thoughts behind energy conservation.

That said, if a 55W DVR is a tipping point of electricity use in a home, then perhaps one should reconsider TV altogether, as many HDTVs themselves require significant power.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

What about a windmill for power?? Maybe use one just for TV, DVR etc.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#23 OFFLINE   GaryGary

GaryGary

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hi,
The DVR is part of a bigger conservation plan.
Over the past 3 years we have cut our energy use and CO2 emissions by about 60% for all electricity, our space heating, and for car transportation -- that is, all the energy use that we have control over.

In total this is saving us $4800 a year in energy costs, and 36,000 lbs of CO2 emissions reduction per year.

No changes at all in lifestyle -- NO CHANGES AT ALL IN LIFESTYLE -- except maybe that we have some extra money.
The DVR is a good example -- the Direct TV DVRs that use less power do the same things as the DISH DVRs that use more power -- why not use one that uses less power?
LEDs give better lighting than incandescents at 1/4 the energy use -- why not use LEDs? and so on.
I realize this is not everyone's cup of tea, but to me its just common sense.

The whole plan is made of a lot of changes and while any one alone (like a better DVR) does not make a ton of difference, when you add them all up its a lot.

If you find this hard to believe, its all this is documented in mind numbing detail on the BuildItSolar website -- just look for the Half Plan.

Gary

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Hi,
The DVR is part of a bigger conservation plan.

Took a look - very interesting.

I suspect most folks appreciate and concur with goals of that nature.

In the referenced original post, however, I suspect the incremental change in wattage on the DirecTV HD DVR (or similar <100-watt electronics) is minuscule in comparison to other opportunities in a home to save/improve upon the use of electricity.

Good luck on your admirable goals.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Gary
You will probably like this article.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c3

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#26 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Gary
You will probably like this article.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c3

That might be taking it a bit too far. To have 3 acres and live in a 168-square foot tin hut?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

and the thread going into turmoil of all issues on the planet Earth ...
:backtotop:

#28 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Be happy your average daily high was not 105 degrees :)
I used 1710 KWH, and paid $207 last month.

I hear you, but I'm glad my rates are a bit better in Dallas, 2238 KWH and $206. And that's with an HR34 and an HR22, but its the AC that adds up the most.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

I hear you, but I'm glad my rates are a bit better in Dallas, 2238 KWH and $206. ...

The thread is still "H34 HMC power use", please.

#30 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

That's not exactly the best thing for the DVR.

1. You're not doing a proper shutdown.

2. You're not allowing the DVR to do its "housekeeping".

3. Your guide data may be bad or corrupted over time.

4. You have the DVR off during the time it would be downloading any update.

So there is a way to do a proper shutdown??? What is it?

Aside from that, with most users having at least a couple of power interruptions over a year, these boxes better be able to tolerate them. And for me, I don't care if there's a delay in receiving an update. Heck, it seems like every time the software is "improved" it gets slower.

I have cut the overall power consumption considerably and now provide about 60% of annual usage from a PV system. After a good try at conservation, a few watts here and there becomes a big deal. And even though the DVR gets a "clean" power cut every day, it's on an inverter circuit and never sees the surges, glitches, and brownouts when a squirrel gets fried at the substation and other similar occurrences.

#31 OFFLINE   GaryGary

GaryGary

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

[quote name='jimmie57']Gary
You will probably like this article. the CNN tiny house article

I do :) Not sure I could talk the spouse into 160 sf, but 700 sounds pretty good -- along with a 1000 sf shop.

Nice to see CNN picking up on the tiny house movement.

One of my favorites is the "Northwestern Tiny House" -- I can't post the link but its the first one that comes up on google.

Thanks to all for the help on the H34 -- will probably pick one of the less fancy ones.

Gary

#32 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

So there is a way to do a proper shutdown??? What is it?

Go through the menus and choose reboot. Let the unit go through it's shutdown/reboot process and at the point where the power light goes out pull the plug.

Aside from that, with most users having at least a couple of power interruptions over a year, these boxes better be able to tolerate them.

A UPS is recommended.

And even though the DVR gets a "clean" power cut every day, it's on an inverter circuit and never sees the surges, glitches, and brownouts when a squirrel gets fried at the substation and other similar occurrences.

That's what UPS's are for.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...