Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bad picture quality fixed by reboot? Why?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dismayed

dismayed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have been noticing recently that the black info bar at the top of my screen, when displayed, looked very blocky... Like a series of 10 or so black and grey blocks. I also noticed a very 'jerky' picture... Kind of like how Internet video looks when it's not buffered up properly. I had also noticed just bad resolution quality on my DirecTV DVR.

So anyway I did a few things. I cleared the cache, I deleted a bunch of old programs, and I rebooted the system.

When it first came up, the picture was very... I don't know how to describe it. It was heavily pixilated and sort of pulsing, and it would get much better then worse and back and forth. After a few minutes of this, the picture cleared up and looked fantastic. Now all the problems I mentioned earlier are solved. It's almost like something was being 'rebuilt' after the reboot and all the problems got cleared up.

Has anyone seen this before? I found the whole incident quite odd.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

I have been noticing recently that the black info bar at the top of my screen, when displayed, looked very blocky... Like a series of 10 or so black and grey blocks. I also noticed a very 'jerky' picture... Kind of like how Internet video looks when it's not buffered up properly. I had also noticed just bad resolution quality on my DirecTV DVR.

So anyway I did a few things. I cleared the cache, I deleted a bunch of old programs, and I rebooted the system.

When it first came up, the picture was very... I don't know how to describe it. It was heavily pixilated and sort of pulsing, and it would get much better then worse and back and forth. After a few minutes of this, the picture cleared up and looked fantastic. Now all the problems I mentioned earlier are solved. It's almost like something was being 'rebuilt' after the reboot and all the problems got cleared up.

Has anyone seen this before? I found the whole incident quite odd.

Does this happen on recordings only or live TV and recordings?

#3 OFFLINE   dismayed

dismayed

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

Live TV.

#4 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

This is a signal related issue more than likely. What model of receiver are you experiencing this on? Do you have more than one receiver? If so what models are they and are they experiencing the same issue?

#5 OFFLINE   ccrowe3

ccrowe3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

I don't believe it has anything to do with signal. A bad digital signal gives no picture and would not affect the info bar. Failing receivers do what the OP describes.

#6 OFFLINE   AZDAD

AZDAD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

I too have been having the 'jerky picture', (internet looking streaming video) that comes and goes for about the past 3 months. It does seem to occur only on certain channels though I haven't sat there and really determined which channels do it and which ones don't. I noticed it after the software update back at the end of June to both of my HD dvr receivers, but after a few seconds of the slow internet looking video it will clear up and be ok. I also thought about resetting the dvr if it got any worse.

#7 OFFLINE   dismayed

dismayed

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

The receiver was 7 years old. DTV replaced it, and I haven't seen the issue since. Guess it was just on its last leg.

spam firewall