Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv CEO Says Possible Merger with Dish "Could Be Pro-Consumer"

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

My question is what hardware platform would we have to go with? Would we all transition to a new UI and hardware or could we keep either a HR or a VIP. Most likely we would be all forced to one of them and millions of customers would have to learn a whole new system.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:01 AM

mnassour - exactly right. Having E* in charge would force my hand.

I wonder if our commitments would be in force if a merger happened and they knocked the stuffing out of D* like they did with XM?

#83 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

I'd be included to believe that DirecTV would take the reins on any merger IF it even ever happens.

There are financial, technical, business, and other reasons why this scenario is more likely.

Still....were the situation reversed...they'd have to pry my cold dead hands off my DirecTV remote first. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#84 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

It took along time for the FTC to allow XM and Sirius ! Now Fnck with peoples TV with less choices and history with congress and Cable TV prices going up ! They will have a huge fight with public out cry :mad:

#85 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

DirecTV was the only company to have something like 16+ straight quarters with net growth. Every other big provider was losing quarter after quarter...

You've got to get past your personal anger over Pac12 Network and look at the big picture.

Perhaps, but time will really tell the answer. Truth be told Directv is forcing me away. They offer me upgrades in equipment, fees off each month, but I tell them NO. I want Pac 12, period. So how is it they offer me extras to stay? This just costs them money.

#86 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

What exactly has he done at the expense of customers? They've added content, features, and products. They completed 39 retrans deals in 2010, most if not all of 80 in 2011, and the numbers for 2012 will be very high as well.

OK, well they lost the Pac 12 and now subsidiary Root Sports NW is showing high school games because there is no content available to them in the NW area! I don't want to watch high school football! Last year they showed Pac 12.

OK, they lost the contract....so I should naturally get a rebate....Pac 12 viewership is worth more than high school football.

Here's just one move that has been at the expense of customers./

#87 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

OK, well they lost the Pac 12 and now subsidiary Root Sports NW is showing high school games because there is no content available to them in the NW area! I don't want to watch high school football! Last year they showed Pac 12.

OK, they lost the contract....so I should naturally get a rebate....Pac 12 viewership is worth more than high school football.

That's one recently launched channel they haven't added. Again, what have they done at the expense of customers?
DTV = Digital Television

#88 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Come, on, guys, take it outside...

...or at least to the PAC-12 thread going on here.

This is the merger thread.

Hoosier, upthread, weren't you complaining about this discussion getting derailed?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#89 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

They did not *lose* the PAC-12! They never had an agreement with them to lose it! It isn't like they black the games out or something. The PAC 12's deal with the networks which used to air them ended and they created a new channel. A channel that would cost everyone more if they added it! I'm not an idiot. I imagine one day it will be. But until then it sounds like if you want to go this route it's the Pac-12 you should be mad at, not Directv. They have the same channels they had previously.

#90 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Come, on, guys, we have another PAC-12 thread going.

This is the merger thread.

It's ridiculous. As one who couldn't care less about the channel the complaints everywhere in multiple threads is stupid. It's here and I noticed on Directv's fb page too. They post about the Emmys and people are whining about this channel there.

#91 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

It's ridiculous. As one who couldn't care less about the channel the complaints everywhere in multiple threads is stupid. It's here and I noticed on Directv's fb page too. They post about the Emmys and people are whining about this channel there.

The mods recently requested that we keep programming discussion to one thread.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#92 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hoosier, upthread, weren't you complaining about this discussion getting derailed?

No
DTV = Digital Television

#93 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

The mods recently requested that we keep programming discussion to one thread.

One thread per channel.
DTV = Digital Television

#94 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

That's one recently launched channel they haven't added. Again, what have they done at the expense of customers?

I just answered your question. They don't have the Pac 12 Network, they don't carry CSN NW so I can watch my local NBA team, and get this, they now show high school football on Root Sports NW (a Directv subsidiary) because they lost all the other content to other providers......NBA Blazers to Comcast, Pac 12 to Pac 12 Network, and others. So there it is. My rates are the same and I get high school sports because Directv lost the content to everyone else. You'd think with less content the cost of Root Sports NW should be less....Directv WAS the sports leader, no more.

Now, of course you can simply repeat the same question again and I can answer it again the same way; I am thinking that perhaps you are Mike White in disguise with your defense of him.

#95 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:59 AM

They did not *lose* the PAC-12! They never had an agreement with them to lose it! It isn't like they black the games out or something. The PAC 12's deal with the networks which used to air them ended and they created a new channel. A channel that would cost everyone more if they added it! I'm not an idiot. I imagine one day it will be. But until then it sounds like if you want to go this route it's the Pac-12 you should be mad at, not Directv. They have the same channels they had previously.

They had Pac 12 content on subsidiary Root Sports NW......now they lost Pac 12 content on Root Sports NW and have replaced that content with high school sports.

Yes I can be mad at the Pac 12 to some extent.

But I also can be mad at Directv. Directv charges for having a regional sports channel. The channel USED to carry Pac 12. Now it does now. So Root Sports pays LESS for its content, but still pockets the same amount of subsciber fees. Directv really should apply those subscriber fees to getting Pac 12 Network or refund them directly to me.

#96 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

I just answered your question. They don't have the Pac 12 Network, they don't carry CSN NW so I can watch my local NBA team, and get this, they now show high school football on Root Sports NW (a Directv subsidiary) because they lost all the other content to other providers......NBA Blazers to Comcast, Pac 12 to Pac 12 Network, and others. So there it is. My rates are the same and I get high school sports because Directv lost the content to everyone else. You'd think with less content the cost of Root Sports NW should be less....Directv WAS the sports leader, no more.

Now, of course you can simply repeat the same question again and I can answer it again the same way; I am thinking that perhaps you are Mike White in disguise with your defense of him.

Thanks. I only wanted to get the full list of his failures, in your opinion, that have so deeply hurt DirecTV's 20 million customers. Three RSN's is all it takes apparently.
DTV = Digital Television

#97 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

Thanks. I only wanted to get the full list of his failures, in your opinion, that have so deeply hurt DirecTV's 20 million customers. Three RSN's is all it takes apparently.

OK Mike. Make it all so simple. That's what you want to make it - so black and white.

This is one (or is it two or three) failures that directly impact ME.

I am sure there are others that have other examples of direct impact.

Mike, I am also sure you want to make it so black and white to prove your point that Directv is such an awesome company and you are doing such an awesome job as CEO to the shareholders and customers alike. That's what a CEO is paid to do. Mike, its to create the appearance that all is dandy and great in neverland. To somehow make the customers THINK they are getting a good deal when in reality you are screwing them over. It's mass marketing 101 and Mike you certainly have done a good job shoveling the B.S. to the customer. You've convinced quite a few that despite the fact that the Pac 12 has offered Directv the same deal as Dish Network (and the others) that still somehow Pac 12 is playing hardball (as you had your employees post over on your Facebook page)

Good job Mike. I am sure you will have another great FAQ posted to your company's webpage today about how I do not need the Pac 12. Maybe this time you can get the right # of Pac 12 games??

#98 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

Aren't you whining here as well? Certainly looks that way.

#99 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

http://profootballta...ions-hail-mary/

Here's another example.

But in all seriousness, a merger would do what? A combined entity with say 35M customers would be the biggest provider of in home TV services It would have incredible leverage with content providers. No doubt a combined entity would reduce fees to content providers.

But as consumers is it even reasonable to expect that we get this "savings" in our bills? Fat chance. It will all go to the new combined entity.

This is NOT about consumers.

#100 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

This is not a thread about Pac-12. Let's move back to topic, thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...