Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv CEO Says Possible Merger with Dish "Could Be Pro-Consumer"

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

Who says they cannot price per market?

They never have, but that does not necessarily mean they cannot.

Comcast has outlets all over the nation, and for whatever reason, they are not all priced the same. I don't see any reason why Directv cannot charge one rate in one locality and another rate in another.

Is there a reason?

I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of pricing restrictions in any merger. However, we all know how well that worked out for subscribers of Sirius and XM.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,242 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

That, of course, assumes all mergers operate that way, which is not the case.

Perhaps you could cite an example of an entertainment media/medium merger/acquisition that wasn't ultimately a downer for consumers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#123 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Perhaps you could cite an example of an entertainment media/medium merger/acquisition that wasn't ultimately a downer for consumers.

I wasn't a sub then but was Directv's acquisition of Primestar really a bad thing at the time? I mean looked at with total negativity?

#124 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

This would would be great for Dish customers. They'd get to experience what it's like with a superior company like DirecTV. It would also put 1/3 of the nation's attorneys out of work without the Dish Network endless legal parade.
DTV = Digital Television

#125 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

1) Atlantic Records being purchased by Warner Bros. in 1967. It gave Ahmet Ertegun the structure and the money to take his R & B label to the next level. It's hard to imagine he could have signed either Led Zepellin or the Rolling Stones without the purchase. Read "The Last Sultan" by Robert Greenfield for a great book on Ertegun.

2) Pixar's purchase by Walt Disney Corporation in 2006. It gave Pixar the capital to expand the number of films they could put out and a permanent distribution deal. Before the purchase, their distribution deal with Disney had soured.

3) The 2002 purchase of the Boston Red Sox by New England Sports Ventures and John Henry. I don't think you can argue against the success of World Series Championships in 2004 and 2007 after decades of frustration. We'll see if the same group can also revive the Liverpool F.C. from years of poor play. They purchased Liverpool in 2007.

Edited by Carl Spock, 25 September 2012 - 08:59 AM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#126 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

I still firmly believe that Echostar would be the company in charge. Just think of why you didn't go with E* and you'll see what I'm fearing.

#127 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

I still firmly believe that Echostar would be the company in charge. Just think of why you didn't go with E* and you'll see what I'm fearing.

Echostar and Dish Network split into two separate companies nearly five years ago.

#128 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,598 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Gee...

With you being a Dish customer, I would have thought you'd be able to cite Echostar's purchases of DISH Network, Hughes networks, Move Networks, and other stellar examples. :rolleyes:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#129 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Having had both, and now with direct tv I can say that without a doubt I prefer Dish. The regular out of contract price I was paying with Dish was lower than my 1st year promo price with direct. I also like aspects of Dish's receivers better. Though Direct's receivers do have some nice features.

I'm not sure i'd be a fan of a merger. I could only see prices going up and for many people cable is not an option and the new combined sat company wouldn't have to work as hard to retain you as you'd have no where else to go. At least with the both of them I can threaten to go to the other and usually get the deal I want.

#130 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

I believe that we need separate competing satellite and cable cos. to be more consumer friendly and lower prices.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#131 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

That appears to be a pessimistic and unfounded perspective.

A wide revenue stream and lowered operating costs (combined support and technologies just to name 2 elements) through merged operations actually would probably reduce the probability of raised rates, or at minimum stabilize them.

In addition, the potential 35 million subscriber total pales in comparison to the cable subscriber total numbers - so plenty of competition would keep an incentive to be competitive.

Really?

That's right, after the Sirius/XM merger choice on the XM side went up and rates went down.

Oh....wait a minit........

Please, look at merger after merger after merger.....that "wide revenue stream" flows right from our pockets into those of the investors.

I lived through Sirius' destruction of XM. No offense, but I'm tired of those (not you) who would piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

#132 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

The trouble is that these multi-billion dollar profitable companies play the "buddy" card. Every time they put out a press release that says a decision was made "to save their customers money" they are trying to make us feel like they really care about our money.

Have you ever seen the press release that said "we are dropping this channel or not adding this other channel in order to raise our profits and make more money"? Have you seen a press release that said "we need our annual rate increase will allow us to maintain our 10% profit margin ... or increase our profits beyond 10%"? No ... the "bad news" for consumers is always wrapped in excuses ("just passing on the rate increases we are seeing" or "just keeping your rates down") or "PR" (also spelt BS) that is intended to give their customers a warm fuzzy feeling about the bad news.

And the PR works. There are people who will defend to the death a company that they do not work for and hold no stock in. A company who will gladly continue to raise rates to keep their profits up. A company who will raise rates on retirees on a fixed income and when they can't pay they will let them go and find younger, more affluent customers. Congrats to the PR team for making customers happy about it.

Seeing a company remain reasonably profitable is good for all the reasons mentioned. But I don't mind that people disagree on what level is "reasonable". If a merger such as DirecTV and DISH would bring down costs for the consumer it might be a good thing. But somehow the expectation that consumer prices will continue to rise while costs are reduced for the new company seems to be more likely. Higher prices, more profit. :(

The preceding statement is my own and does not represent the opinion of the site or any company.

Very well and accurately put. Of course, the usuals will pretend that this does not describe the benevolent Directv and Dish companies. :rolleyes:
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#133 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'd like to think that, sooner or later, price increases can't continue as the customers will simply fade away. Even though we haven't seen it yet on a broad scale, there is a limit to what people can, and will, pay.

The Sirius/XM deal took two failing ccmpanies and made one failing company. That's not the situation with Dish and DirecTV. But, never underestimate the capabilities of a good lobbyist.

#134 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,242 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

Gee...

With you being a Dish customer, I would have thought you'd be able to cite Echostar's purchases of DISH Network, Hughes networks, Move Networks, and other stellar examples. :rolleyes:

So you don't have any examples of mergers (as opposed to acquisitions of satellite bandwidth) to support your claim? I was kinda suspicious that you didn't believe what you posted.

BTW, as Hoosier205 accurately pointed out, Echostar didn't purchase DISH. Spinning off Echostar put Echostar in a better position to do STB business with DISH competitors.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#135 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

Gee...

But if the Merger between Dish and Directv goes thru then Harsh would be justified with his Posting on the Directv side of DBSTALK because he then would be a Directv/Dish Customer so Directv Posters could no longer poke fun at him for posting on the Directv side of DBSTALK!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#136 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

But if the Merger between Dish and Directv goes thru then Harsh would be justified with his Posting on the Directv side of DBSTALK because he then would be a Directv/Dish Customer so Directv Posters could no longer poke fun at him for posting on the Directv side of DBSTALK!!! :lol:

NOOOOOOO! :)
DTV = Digital Television

#137 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Mr White can think whatever he wants, but he's dreaming if he thinks this deal is any more likely to be approved than it was last time. Unlike the Sirius/XM deal (and the Sprint/Nextel deal) both DirecTV and Dish Network are financially healthy and vibrant companies. There is no consumer benefit to be gained from a merger of the companies, other than a reduction in operating costs.

The problem with even that benefit is that it is unlikely to have much, if any, effect on customer's bills. The majority of our monthly bill is driven by programming costs, not operating costs. Anyone who thinks that a combined Dish/DirecTV would have more leverage with content providers is dreaming. Even if they kept every current subscriber (and assuming there are not many subscribers to both) they'd have about 34 million subs, making them about 50% larger than the current #1 Comcast (which, at 22 million is about 50% larger than #3 Dish Network separately). But has Comcast's larger size made them able to hold the line on costs any better than Dish? Not for one minute.

In terms of subscriber savings, even if ALL the cost savings were passed on, a merger might mean an annual increase of $1.95 per month instead of $2.00. Hardly enough to overcome antitrust and bandwidth monopoly concerns.

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#138 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Mr White can think whatever he wants, but he's dreaming if he thinks this deal is any more likely to be approved than it was last time. Unlike the Sirius/XM deal (and the Sprint/Nextel deal) both DirecTV and Dish Network are financially healthy and vibrant companies. There is no consumer benefit to be gained from a merger of the companies, other than a reduction in operating costs.

The problem with even that benefit is that it is unlikely to have much, if any, effect on customer's bills. The majority of our monthly bill is driven by programming costs, not operating costs. Anyone who thinks that a combined Dish/DirecTV would have more leverage with content providers is dreaming. Even if they kept every current subscriber (and assuming there are not many subscribers to both) they'd have about 34 million subs, making them about 50% larger than the current #1 Comcast (which, at 22 million is about 50% larger than #3 Dish Network separately). But has Comcast's larger size made them able to hold the line on costs any better than Dish? Not for one minute.

In terms of subscriber savings, even if ALL the cost savings were passed on, a merger might mean an annual increase of $1.95 per month instead of $2.00. Hardly enough to overcome antitrust and bandwidth monopoly concerns.

Not to mention the cost of merging technologies. They can't even afford to shut down mpeg2 SD today, who says they'd have any gain in merging two companies using completely different technologies. The cost savings comes down to things like Human resources and some other functions that would save money.

The cost savings is a mirage.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#139 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

But does comcast negotiate as 22 million customers or does it do it by area since all channels aren't available in all areas?

#140 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

The cost savings would be more in the future of contract negotiations and reduced SAC costs. Would the bills go down? No but they may not rise at a steady 3-4% a year either.

If either company had regional pricing then there would be a lot more of concern with price fixing but both companies have national pricing. The people with 6 options have the same cost as the people with 2. Now some loss would be the people with 2 options right now being able to "threaten" to leave to get discounts but eventually this "business model" will evolve and the discounts won't be as they are today.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall