Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noob Needs Guidance

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Most people prefer the wired deca over the wireless. I install about 100 to 1 wired verses wireless decas. i only use a wireless one if there is no way possible to get a wired one plugged in. once installed they both function the same except you may have signal issues/limitations with the wireless , that you will not have with the wired one plugged directly into your router.
And you do need that power inserter, That basically powers up your entire directv system. If that becomes unplugged all your receivers will say "problem communicating with dish" until you plug it back in

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply... I would much prefer wired to wireless but because of logistics that's a no-go.

Ah.. good to know about the power inserter.

Fact is the tech said this was like his third install of an HR34 ever... so it kind of rocked my confidence in him. I'm gonna have to rethink my harsh assessment of him.

Good to have the facts, thanks.

#23 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

The R22 was only leased. I'm giving it up because I want Whole Home DVR service across my two televisions. As I stated, D* will only authorize WH when there are at least 2 true HD receivers on the account. As, I don't want to incur an additional monthly fee, I will be deactivating the R22. My understanding is that when the receiver is deactivated, D* will send a shipping box to reclaim it. Sucks to lose 2 tuners but I've only managed to engage 4 of the 5 tuners on the new HR34 at any one time. So it's a loss I can live with.

Cheers.

Im not sure why they dont authorize your account. I get jobs everyday That are an HDDVR and 2 standards and Whole Home is authorized on the account. It was my uderstanding that any new account with at least 1 HDDVR , whole home now gets authorized.

Edit : I now see you arent a new customer, this was an upgrade. still weird policy though it physically could be done with the receivers you have

Edited by wallfishman, 29 September 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply... I would much prefer wired to wireless but because of logistics that's a no-go.

Ah.. good to know about the power inserter.

Fact is the tech said this was like his third install of an HR34 ever... so it kind of rocked my confidence in him. I'm gonna have to rethink my harsh assessment of him.

Good to have the facts, thanks.

Ive installed thousands of jobs, yet ive only installed like 5 HR34s. I have a feeling we will be installing more soon though with the rollout of the new C31 clients.

#25 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hey wallfishman,

I honestly don't know what to tell you. The CSR from whom I ordered the HR-34 didn't give me a heads up about the lack of a second HD receiver.

While the installer was there, I called D* and the first CSR tried to tell me there was an additional fee involved. When I corrected him, he then came back and told me the computer system was not allowing him to authorize Whole Home on my account. A transfer to technical support later and I was told that the problem was the R22 being a standard def unit. :shrug:

#26 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hey wallfishman,

I honestly don't know what to tell you. The CSR from whom I ordered the HR-34 didn't give me a heads up about the lack of a second HD receiver.

While the installer was there, I called D* and the first CSR tried to tell me there was an additional fee involved. When I corrected him, he then came back and told me the computer system was not allowing him to authorize Whole Home on my account. A transfer to technical support later and I was told that the problem was the R22 being a standard def unit. :shrug:

just curious have you went into the menu of the HR34 to

settings
whole home
status

It should say "authorized" or "not authorized".

your R22 would also need a receiver Deca on the back of it to do whole home.

Its just funny that Directv will authorize a new account with a HDDVR and standard receivers that arent even capable of Whole Home, And yet Not authorize an account with 2 receivers that are both capable.

#27 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

It says "not authorized".

There's currently a green labeled "Connected Home Adapter" on each receiver.

#28 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

It says "not authorized".

There's currently a green labeled "Connected Home Adapter" on each receiver.

there shouldnt be one on the HR34 at all. its built in.

#29 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

That's what I thought but the installer told me it was needed.

Do you think I should remove the decca from the HR-34 just to see what happens?

#30 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

That's what I thought but the installer told me it was needed.

Do you think I should remove the decca from the HR-34 just to see what happens?

so right now theres a connected home adapter and a little blue jumper plugged into the ethernet port of the hr34 ? if there is remove it. that wont change your authorized/not authorized issue though

You said he hooked up a wired deca to your router right / is your on demand working now or what ? that adapter on the hr34 would have probably caused havoc with that.

Im starting to think your initial tech assessment was correct haha . did the tech drive a directv van, or a station wagon with a ladder bungied to the roof ?

Edited by wallfishman, 29 September 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

The hard wired adapter isn't connected to my internet at all.... my router is in another room and my house isn't wired up for data. So no On-Demand for me until the Wireless-CCK comes via FedEx.

I've just disconnected the external decca from the HR34 and for the first time I am getting two green lights on the decca connected to the R22 and the intermittent message that the receiver "has dropped off the network" has gone away.

Much obliged...

Well, I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt- maybe it was only his third install altogether.

#32 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

haha no doubt...

when your wireless comes in post back for help hooking that up. there are guys here really good with router security that can get you through that if you need it.

You are gettin there .....

#33 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

I hope I'm getting there....

Again the advice is most appreciated.

Cheers.

#34 OFFLINE   statsman

statsman

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

An H24 reciever and the wireless CCK were dropped off via FedEx on Tuesdsay and of course I had to hook everything up immediately. I did but when I called and got Whole Home switched on my account, the service wouldn't work for me.

I was immediately transferred to tech support and after an hour of trying different things, a tech visit was scheduled for today.

Crux of the matter: Tech looked over the setup and forced a download of software for the H24. This immediately cured the problem. Took 10 minutes.

Something to try if Whole -Home is not working for ya.

Finally, I am up and running with my new setup and I couldn't be more pleased. Thanks again everyone. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...