Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Second DVR, Remote Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   B_H

B_H

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

Was just getting ready to install second HR24 in same room. I was trying to determine how to set up the remotes so each one could operate each HR24 separately, as was the case with the TIVOs. (This is the method I want). But it seems that can't be done. Or can it?

So, I went into the menu, under remotes and into Receiver Mode, and it appears that one remote can control 2 DVRs by sliding the switch to AV1. So I set it from DIRECTV mode to AV1. Nothing! Remote didn't work at all. Not on Directv, AV1 or AV2. Went to front of DVR and did menu and went down to Remote in menu. Would not let me change it back. Did red button reset, and went back to DVR menu and finally got it reset to Directv.

Question is, how do I make it work where I can control 2 DVRs in the same room.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

It can most definitely be done. 3? total via IR. Virtually as many as you want via RF. I'll let someone else explain it explicitly, I'm rusty with my remote codes.

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,713 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

Cover the IR sensor of the receiver you want to be number 1 and turn it off.
Program the second one using the Menu, Settings, Remote, Advanced Setups
and just follow the instructions on the screen.
Note: There is a typo that tells you this is for 3 or more receivers in the same room. It should say 2.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Was just getting ready to install second HR24 in same room. I was trying to determine how to set up the remotes so each one could operate each HR24 separately, as was the case with the TIVOs. (This is the method I want). But it seems that can't be done. Or can it?

So, I went into the menu, under remotes and into Receiver Mode, and it appears that one remote can control 2 DVRs by sliding the switch to AV1. So I set it from DIRECTV mode to AV1. Nothing! Remote didn't work at all. Not on Directv, AV1 or AV2. Went to front of DVR and did menu and went down to Remote in menu. Would not let me change it back. Did red button reset, and went back to DVR menu and finally got it reset to Directv.

Question is, how do I make it work where I can control 2 DVRs in the same room.

Thanks.

Check the model codes in the upper Left Hand corner of the remote controls. You'll want to see RCxxR. If they are, then the remotes are RF compatible. Just go to Menu ->Settings & Help -> Settings -> Remote Control -> Advanced Setup -> IR/RF Mode and follow the directions for programming them to RF mode and you'll be good to go. No to mention you won't have to worry about LOS with the remote control anymore.

Edit: IR/RF Mode may be one of the choices after you select remote control. You'll skip the "Advanced setup" choice and just choose IR/RF Setup from there.

Edited by smitbret, 21 September 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   B_H

B_H

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Ahhhh... The ole typo gag. That's why I didn't try that. I'll give it a shot.

Also, my remote is just plain RC65, no R.

Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Leave the first hr24 set to codeset 00001, now cover it while you switch the other hr24 to codeset 00003.

Start by programming code 00003:

1. av1 or av2

2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release

3. enter 0 0 0 0 3

slide back to directv device on the remote and enter the menu of the receiver:

1. menu> settings & help> settings> remote control> Receiver Mode
2. you will see either Directv or av1/av2, click whichever to reveal both

3. chose av1/av2, remote will stop controlling the receiver, now slide to av1 or av2 on the remote whichever has code 00003, and exit the menu
aka Tivoburkee

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Have you already got a second hr? If not and you only have one tv there I'd get an HR34 instead.

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I find that unplugging one of the receivers while programming the other to a different IR code is usually the easier/safer bet. Sometimes, depending on what you use to cover the IR sensor the signal will still get through and change the one that you thought was blocked (masking tape, and paper tend to still let the IR signals through unless multiple layers are used).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,203 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

Have you already got a second hr? If not and you only have one tv there I'd get an HR34 instead.

Ask Rich to remind you what he thinks about putting all of one's eggs in one DIRECTV basket.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

I find that unplugging one of the receivers while programming the other to a different IR code is usually the easier/safer bet. Sometimes, depending on what you use to cover the IR sensor the signal will still get through and change the one that you thought was blocked (masking tape, and paper tend to still let the IR signals through unless multiple layers are used).

Black electrical tape works well.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...