Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is the HR34 too flakey?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

What are you paying for your HR34 with install? Are you getting it from Directv or an outside source?

Zero! Had no commitment and asked for a deal-mentioning Dish and the Hopper helped.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   joannel

joannel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Zero! Had no commitment and asked for a deal-mentioning Dish and the Hopper helped.

Wow, that's good. I'll call just to see what their offer is.
HR22/100
HBH-SA (SD receiver)
Denon AVR 1312
LG 42" Plasma TV

#23 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

You think the hr34 is flakey and you are getting a hopper good luck with that.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#24 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

You think the hr34 is flakey and you are getting a hopper good luck with that.

speedy, slow down enough to use periods and read the thread. He's getting a HR34.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#25 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

yep, HR34!

#26 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Wow, that's good. I'll call just to see what their offer is.

Reading this thread will help!
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=201785

Fred

#27 OFFLINE   cwerdna

cwerdna

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

I too am on the fence like the OP.

I got sucked into a deal by some DirecTV sales reps at a Best Buy today. The install doesn't happen for another 2 weeks and they seem to want me to call them about a deal by Thursday. I can bail out before the install, if need be.

I've been using Tivo since 2001 (started w/Series 1s which I used for ages). I've used a Series 2 standalone for a bit and used a Series 2 DirecTiVo (RCA DVR80) for a 5 years. I've been using a TiVo HD (first w/Verizon/Frontier FiOS and now w/Comcast) since late 09.

Overall, as a PVR, TiVo is very reliable and has almost never let me down (other than hard drives failing, some of which were ones I installed). Missed shows are almost unheard of and so are serious bugs. (I don't know about TiVo's newer units like the Premiere though.)

Looking at http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=209109 makes me apprehensive. Can a satisfied TiVo owner compare TiVo reliability to the HR34 from a missed recording, serious bug (esp. requiring reboot) or annoying bug point of view?

I don't know if the TiVo based unit (THR22) is any better.

I still need to run some numbers to confirm it's worth it, esp. given I will lose my ability to transfer shows to my PC to archive them (http://www.dbstalk.c...836#post3083836).

I'm also a bit annoyed by the DirecTV equipment leasing model. What if I cancel D* but still have a bunch of unwatched shows? I'd have to return the box, so I guess they'll go unwatched or I'll have to have a crazy viewing marathon or use some (inconvenient) video capture solution.

(FWIW, I still have my RCA DVR80 w/a few unwatched shows. It's owned equipment and was bought before D* went to a leasing model.)

Edited by cwerdna, 07 October 2012 - 10:50 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...