Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tuner Limits

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   justsam

justsam

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have been considering the H34 receiver however with the five tuners in it I would be at 9 as opposed to the limit of 8.

My question is when is a tuner seen as a tuner? When it is turned on, when it is just plugged in, coax connected or not, etc. Or is this just an "accounting" limit.

My 9th tuner is really in a guest house that is not occupied full time and could indeed be disabled or made not recognized if possible. I really do not need the 5 tuners in the H34 but I understand you can not disable one or more of them. I really want it for PIP, not the 5 tuners.

My system is SL3S with SWS8. I really do not want to have additional coax runs from the dish since it is a diffficult run.

Will Direct insist on using the four coax arrangement when a H34 is used? Can I just buy from Solid Signal or the like if they insist on more coax, as long as I do not exceed the 8 limit?

I realize a lot of questions for first post, but I just was made aware of this site, which appears more technically inclined than others.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

There may be another or several solution for you and that's to replace one of your other units with a c31 as it doesn't need a tuner or turn of one tuner in one of your current DVRs.

What exactly do you have now? Then we can make some suggestions. Models and where they are and how much use they get.

#3 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

see about upgrading to a swm16
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Any receiver that is connected and has power, "is using" a tuner [or more].

You'd need to remove the guest house receiver from the system.

"Now" the HR34 when it power up will grab all the free SWiM channels it needs, but if only four are left, it will configure itself to use 4.

This ISN'T supported by DirecTV, as a power loss and return can have the 34 pull all 5 channels which will leave one of the other receivers a "tuner short", which will cause problems.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

If any of your other devices is an HR2x series DVR, it can be configured as a single tuner. However, it could also be replaced by the HR34 solving your problem.

#6 OFFLINE   justsam

justsam

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

The current configuration of receivers is 2xD12-100, 2xH24-100, and 1xHR24-500.

My plan was to replace the HR-24-500 with the HR34. That is how I came up with the tuner number of 9.

One of the D12-100 is in a guest house and is seldom used. That is what triggered my question as to just what has to be done for it not to be seen as a tuner. Sounds like it would have to be unplugged from power for it not to count.

The notion of the HR34 grabbing the resources it can would work for me. I can understand why this would not be a good solution for most DTV subs at time of power outage etc.

I really do not need more than one DVR, and for the most part my HR24-500 with the two tuners works for me. I am really after the PIP function.

Does DTV insist on going to SWM16 if they install the HR34? Again, I really do not want more coax run to the dish if at all possible.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

If they see that you'll be at 9 tuners when complete, yes.

You can do a self install, ordering the 34 from a reseller. You may not get a credit from DirecTV though, and have to pay the $399.

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

. . .
Does DTV insist on going to SWM16 if they install the HR34? Again, I really do not want more coax run to the dish if at all possible.

Only when more then 8 turners are involved.

I don't understand your concern from the increase of one to four in the drop. They're not going to be all over the place. They'll be ty-rapped into one neat drop.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

The current configuration of receivers is 2xD12-100, 2xH24-100, and 1xHR24-500.

My plan was to replace the HR-24-500 with the HR34. That is how I came up with the tuner number of 9.

One of the D12-100 is in a guest house and is seldom used. That is what triggered my question as to just what has to be done for it not to be seen as a tuner. Sounds like it would have to be unplugged from power for it not to count.

The notion of the HR34 grabbing the resources it can would work for me. I can understand why this would not be a good solution for most DTV subs at time of power outage etc.

I really do not need more than one DVR, and for the most part my HR24-500 with the two tuners works for me. I am really after the PIP function.

Personally, I would wait a few weeks (no date yet, I am just guessing) till the launched the C31 nationwide.

Then I would replace your HR24 with an hr34, and one or two D12s with C31s.

This solves all your potential issues, and allows you to have HD and MRV in all locations. Monthly pricing is the same. C31s don't have or use tuners, they use the HR34s, if they are in use. Plus C31 allows full control of the hr34, including series managers, etc, unlike what you have now with the h24s and hr24.

You could even go with three C31 + HR34, and leave one h24 for the guest house... That would allow you to block the guest house from seeing your hr34, and all your rooms would have the same abilities to control the hr34, and youd even have DLB and buffering in all locations. The only thing that the c31s can't do is PIP. :(

#10 OFFLINE   hrobbs

hrobbs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

I had the same issue when I got the HR34, 9 tuners running off of a SWM8. It caused problems because one tuner was always the odd man out. I turned off one of the tuners in either an HR20 or an HR24 and subsequently had a SWM16 installed. After SWM16 install, turned it back on. Both solutions worked, so you could turn off a tuner in the HR24, but then you lose the options for double play, etc. SWM16 is a nice solution, that way you have full functionality, and expandability.

#11 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

I vote for the SWM 16. Its and easy fix and requires very little modification nor does it take away any features. Just put the swm16 in and let 1 leg of it feed the HR34 and the other leg just hook to the existing splitter. Other than the HR34 you won't need any new boxes or anything like that.

As others said, if you order the HR34 from Direct and have them install it, the tech will automatically install the SWM 16 for you.

#12 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

I vote for the SWM 16. Its and easy fix and requires very little modification nor does it take away any features. Just put the swm16 in and let 1 leg of it feed the HR34 and the other leg just hook to the existing splitter. Other than the HR34 you won't need any new boxes or anything like that.

As others said, if you order the HR34 from Direct and have them install it, the tech will automatically install the SWM 16 for you.

The problem is that the SWM 16 requires 4 cables coming in from the Dish. For me, that was a no go and I sent my HR34 back and replaced it with a 3rd HR24.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...