Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Order HR 34 from SS Bill Credit?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mammut

mammut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Has anyone ordered a HR34 from Solid Signal or another retailer and gotten a credit on your bill for the cost of it?

I have a unsupported DECA setup and really don't want to have to deal with an installer coming out and having to redo it and paying for the receiver install and whole home install.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,059 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

Don't know that I've seen any posts that someone has done that, but the only way to find out for yourself is to call and discuss it with a CSR. I seriously doubt you'll get the full cost covered, but you might get some offset.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

I tried to do this recently with a HR24 when I re-up'd my contract. I was going to order it from Solid Signal and have DirecTV give me a $200 credit. It turns out that was really tough to do, even for Retention. Because of my good standing with DirecTV, and because it would get me on a new commitment, it was much easier for them to give me a HR34 for free. I took that option. I didn't mind dealing with the installer. In fact, since part of my deal was upgrading my system to DECA and SWiM, I wanted him here.

In other words, I think you'll have a hard time making what you want to do work. I'm not saying it's impossible, just very difficult.

My experience is documented in this thread.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I purchased my 34 from SS. I also had to have SWiM/Deca installed. D* gave me monthly credits that covered virtually all of the cost of the 34 and install.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#5 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

I did, but mine was a special situation.

I was a new sub and asked when the HR34 was going to be nationwide as if it was soon I would wait to sign up. They said months away so I signed up as I didnt want to wait months. The week after install it was released to new subs only. I called and said I want it but they said no as I wasnt a new sub.

Long story short they tried to bypass their system but as it was so new they did not know how, so told me to order one retail and the minute it was activated they would credit my account. So yes I did get the credit for buying retail but that was at Directvs suggestion not mine.

Not sure if it helps you in your situation though. But as the HR34 is a different line item on their system they will see when it is activated so if you can get them to agree then it should be straight forward.
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#6 OFFLINE   mammut

mammut

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Tried yesterday and the best they could do was $200 and a $49 install fee plus $99 for whole home.

I pushed on the credit for buying from a retailer but no luck. I'll give them a call again this week.

#7 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

why would you expect a credit?
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

why would you expect a credit?

Maybe to give Directv an opportunity to compete with cable's whole home equipment which is free?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#9 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Maybe to give Directv an opportunity to compete with cable's whole home equipment which is free?

The 2 aren't even similar. If he wanted a free HR2x and ad WHDVR, then it'd be the same.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

The 2 aren't even similar. If he wanted a free HR2x and ad WHDVR, then it'd be the same.

Huh?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Huh?

At least with Time Warner's Whole home DVR, it can only record two things at once and only stores 75 hours. That's according to their site at least.

#12 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

BrightHouse here in Orlando charges a $199 WholeHome install...plus $19.99/mo for each Whole-Home DVR.

It isn't free by a longshot...

#13 OFFLINE   mammut

mammut

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

I am confused here. I am not looking for anything free. I am just hoping to get the same deal for a DVR from a retailer as I can get from Directv. I am hoping they can offset the cost from the cheapest I can find online, $349 down to the price they are offering of $200 as I do not want to have to deal with an installer and the extra fees and time involved with that.

With no Pac 12 network on Directv, hopper from DISH, FIOS in my neighborhood and Xfinity, I am loaded with other options, I would like to stay with Directv though.

Anyway Mods, my question was answered and the track of this thread seems to have gone off course. Please close it...

#14 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

At least with Time Warner's Whole home DVR, it can only record two things at once and only stores 75 hours. That's according to their site at least.

BrightHouse here in Orlando charges a $199 WholeHome install...plus $19.99/mo for each Whole-Home DVR.

It isn't free by a longshot...

In my area (which is now owned by Time Warner) it is free. Boxes (pace) are $7.95 each (per month - a fee close to Directv's) which includes 6 tuners total (which is one more than 5).

Overall, similar programming package is also $25 cheaper.

I'm not with cable because I think Directv's software (and hardware) is head and shoulders better and cable doesn't meet my personal needs. However, it would meet the needs of many, many people. (Remember, people who work for Directv post here all the time about how many people are still on SD, or only need one DVR, in other words, they have fairly low needs and expectations).

When I got my HR34, I most certainly asked Directv what they could do to meet my local cable co's offering, and to their credit, they came close to matching it.

Edited by raott, 25 September 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

In my area (which is now owned by Time Warner) it is free. Boxes (pace) are $7.95 each (per month - a fee close to Directv's) which includes 6 tuners total (which is one more than 5).

Overall, similar programming package is also $25 cheaper.

I'm not with cable because I think Directv's software (and hardware) is head and shoulders better and cable doesn't meet my personal needs. However, it would meet the needs of many, many people. (Remember, people who work for Directv post here all the time about how many people are still on SD, or only need one DVR, in other words, they have fairly low needs and expectations).

When I got my HR34, I most certainly asked Directv what they could do to meet my local cable co's offering, and to their credit, they came close to matching it.

Show me the link to the Time Warner price page that has a 6-tuner HD-DVR for $8/month...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...