Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: Genie Recommends

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Yay. Yet another half-arsed, niche feature detracting from actually making improvements to something, or adding something people have been screaming for for years...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

I know it works decent, simply because it seems to like to record a lot of things that I record on other DVRs.

I went through the entire list it created, and there wasnt one show I wanted to see. I was rather surprised, actually, that I couldnt find a single program that even seemed related to what I watch (news, science, sports). Almost all of the suggestions were reality, or sitcom type shows...and of course PPV movies.

Tivo is recording about 80% of shows I actually would watch if I had more time.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#43 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Davenlr,

I am under the impression that if you just leave Genie alone for a while the quality of the suggestions improves. This will be doubly true after there are actually some new shows to watch...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Davenlr,

I am under the impression that if you just leave Genie alone for a while the quality of the suggestions improves. This will be doubly true after there are actually some new shows to watch...

Ill try it. Just wish there was a way to keep PPV from showing up.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#45 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,806 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

Davenlr,

I think that is the case. At first, it was way off. But I left it alone for many, many days and it recommends the type of shows we watch. Many dramas and comedies.

But I agree with Davenir's comments on PPV.

#46 OFFLINE   airedale

airedale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

Looks great! Glad I have an HR34 coming next Sunday :D

#47 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

Great First Look, as always, guys!

So now the whole unit is called "Genie"? ewwww

I'll continue to call mine Hal.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#48 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

Great First Look, as always, guys!

So now the whole unit is called "Genie"? ewwww

I'll continue to call mine Hal.

I'm afraid you can't do that. :)

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#49 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

Ill try it. Just wish there was a way to keep PPV from showing up.

PPV as a suggestion increases revenue, reduces costs. It's like a sales person always suggesting upgrades. You'll never see it go away. It's like wishing away ads on TV stations. :)

Any way they can find ways to keep revenues up is better in the long run to keep our prices down. It's simply advertising.

#50 ONLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Nice work guys! :up:

I'm sure Genie will get smarter over time and become a good way to discover content.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#51 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Engadget picked up the story and the Solid Signal video.

http://www.engadget....hr34-dvr-genie/

Awesome!

#52 OFFLINE   jagowar

jagowar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Well Dish has a semi-cute name for their system, so the brain wizs at DirecTV decided they needed a cuter name.

Really does seem like a response to everything dish.... the name to compete with "hopper/joey" and the genie feature to compete with primetime anytime (not exactly the same but do similar things)... although to me primetime anytime is a more useful feature (esp in that it only uses 1 tuner to record 4 things but they don't have 5 total tuners).

I do wonder how often it will tie up one of your tuners and if it will auto stop if you want to use the tuner.... for example if I am recording 2 shows, have one or two tuners going for a genie show and am watching live tv in 1 room if I go to a second will one of the genie shows automatically stop and let me watch. To me that would be frustrating to run out of tuners because of genie.

Edited by jagowar, 23 September 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#53 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

It should never do that, it should be transparent to the user.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#54 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Another great first look
[URL="http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3113347&posted=1#post311334""]My Setup[/URL]

#55 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

I went through the entire list it created, and there wasnt one show I wanted to see. I was rather surprised, actually, that I couldnt find a single program that even seemed related to what I watch (news, science, sports). Almost all of the suggestions were reality, or sitcom type shows...and of course PPV movies.

Tivo is recording about 80% of shows I actually would watch if I had more time.

Have you been dropping ones that you don't want to see?

#56 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Have you been dropping ones that you don't want to see?

Yea, I dropped all of them, except it wont let me drop the PPV.

#57 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Really does seem like a response to everything dish.... the name to compete with "hopper/joey" and the genie feature to compete with primetime anytime (not exactly the same but do similar things)... although to me primetime anytime is a more useful feature (esp in that it only uses 1 tuner to record 4 things but they don't have 5 total tuners).

I do wonder how often it will tie up one of your tuners and if it will auto stop if you want to use the tuner.... for example if I am recording 2 shows, have one or two tuners going for a genie show and am watching live tv in 1 room if I go to a second will one of the genie shows automatically stop and let me watch. To me that would be frustrating to run out of tuners because of genie.

This feature is not like PTAT at all, and I don't think anyone should even hint at it being that kind of thing. You'd be better off comparing it to TiVo suggestions, as at least that's in the same conceptual area.

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Yea, I dropped all of them, except it wont let me drop the PPV.

Should be interesting ot see what it records for you over the next two weeks when most the new series start. Will it record ones that you don't set up for sl?

The ppv is just the pushed content in another location, is always at the very end of the list, and disappears from genie if you only have one or two shows in there. At least that's what it does for me.

#59 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

Nice first look. I've used Genie for the past month or so and so far its worked pretty good for me. I drop the shows that have no interest to me or the family and if I watch a new show and like it, I keep it and set up a SL if I don't I just remove it after I watch it. It seems to get smarter the more you interact with it.

#60 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

I would like to thank Scott Kocourek and DBSTalk users Smuuth and NR4P for working up this first look. I knew it was a winner when I saw the first draft go up on Friday.

Great work guys!

spam firewall