Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to install another cable run for 921?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 12:06 PM

I apologize if this is found elsewhere, but I just found out my 921 is in and I'd like to get it up and running before the 2/12 install date for my new 510 and extra dish for the locals. Originally I was told it would be a couple of weeks at least before the 921 would arrive, so I had given up on HD superbowl. Now hope is very much alive.

I currently have a Dish 500, 2 dual LNBFs, and an SW21. I have 2 feeds to 2 rooms/receivers. Both receivers are older Phillips models.

What can I do at least temporarily and, hopefully cheaply, to get set up for the 921? Any suggestions? I have an easy run to the 921 location through the unfinished basement.

If I got hold of another SW21 is it possible to cascade - a term I have read on this forum, but am not sure of as applied to signals from the LNBFs? If so, exactly what is the logic for doing that?

Also, what grade/spec cable is req'd, exactly?

Detailed explanantions are most helpful and appreciated. Apologies if this is old hat to many of you, but then, taht's why these internet forums are so useful to the rest of us out here.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 12:57 PM

If you have 2 receivers currently running, then you have 2 SW21 switches connected to the 4 cables coming out of your Dish 500.

You have a couple of choices. If you are willing to give up both receivers, you can run 2 cables from the SW21 switches (each one has 1 ouput) to where your 921 will be.

If you aren't willing to give up your other 2 receivers, at a minumum you either need to get an SW44 switch, or a quad lnb. Either one of these options will give you 4 cable runs out - 2 for your current receivers, and 2 for the 921. That'd be cheaper than upgrading everything to dishpro.

Based on your current configuration, you cannot cascade SW21 switches to get additional output lines.

You should run RG6 coax cable - I'm using the Home Depot RG6 cable with my setup, and it works just fine.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 01:10 PM

If you have 2 receivers currently running, then you have 2 SW21 switches connected to the 4 cables coming out of your Dish 500. ...

Thanks. I am sure you are correct that I have 2 SW21s. the dish has npot needed attention for a few months, thankfully, despite the viscious storms we've had. Anyway, I have no problem giving up the receiver in the 921 location. That is the plan, in fact. However, sounds like the SW44 will do it, or, I will have to go up and down the ladder anytime I want to use the 921.

That is not a good idea.

I assume the Dish site has instructions on how to configue that?

Is it something like connect the four outputs from the dish to one side of the switch and run up to 4 cables out the other side of the switch?

What's the approx. cost of one of those? Do you know if Sears carries something like that?

Thanks again for being so helpful.

#4 OFFLINE   sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 12:32 PM

Ok, time to regroup on this. I really do not want to pay $80-100+ for an SW44, plus the cable and connectors, crimper, etc, just to get a 2 week head start. But I want to be sure the installation goes smoothly and I know what to expect.

So, I spoke at length to a Dish CSR. They are already scheduled to have an installer out in 3 weeks (2/12) to install a D300 for the must carry locals, plus the 510 DVR for my 2nd TV upgrade. I asked them about installing my 921 at the same time. They quoted $59 to do the install, which is the cable run and 921 setup. Sounds good to me.

One question they could not answer is whether, as a result of the D300 must carry upgrade alone, I will end up with a new setup that will support at least 3 receivers (921 + 510 = 3 lines).

Can someone help me understand what the options are for the installer to perform the D300 must carry upgrade only?

Given my 2 SW21's and the legacy dual LNBF's, will he need to add a switch of some sort, whether an SW64 or Dishpro upgrade with the 34 switch to be able to handle two dishes, 3 sat's, to receivers? This is what I am hoping for to avoid additional hardware charges to get another line of capacity for the 921.

Put another way, can the new D300 dish feeds be added to my D500 legacy setup such that I only end up with 2 receiver feeds max, and am no better off in terms of total receiver capacity?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 12:47 PM

For a 510 and a 921 I would use a DP Twin on the 500 and a DP single on the 300 connected to a DP-34. If you want to know what DISH will do you will have to talk to them because they are the only ones who can actually answer that question.

#6 OFFLINE   sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 01:25 PM

For a 510 and a 921 I would use a DP Twin on the 500 and a DP single on the 300 connected to a DP-34. If you want to know what DISH will do you will have to talk to them because they are the only ones who can actually answer that question.

Thanks, but I was trying to find out what the options might be. I realize Dish should be able to tell me, but they were having trouble with that. Long story, and I'll be talking to them again, but, in the meantime, forget about the 921. Just think about the D300 must carry upgrade. How would/could that be done?

#7 OFFLINE   sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:16 AM

For the record in case anyone else has this dilemma, here is what Dish told me when I finally talked to a knoweldgeable tech rep:

1) They are not going to charge me $59 to get the second run to the main location for the 921. Not worth it, and would require two trips. Apparently the "must carry" installers only do those types of installations, and cannot be counted on to do a 921 install. Also, the tech could not get the ordering system to add another task to the existing work order for the upgrade without affecting the current install date. the only way that could be done was to cancel the existing order and request a new install date. We both agreed that would be foolish. We left it alone.

2) According to the tech after understanding my situation and conferring with others, no matter what final solution is decided by the installer, I will need an upgrade from the legacy twin dual LNBFs anyway that will also add to my current capacity to support receivers (i.e, more than 2), which is exactly what I need. And that will be free with the 510 upgrade at the second location and the must carry upgrade with the second dish.

3) She indicated that the most likely solution will be a dishpro solution using a DP-34, which is exactly what boba suggested here.

4) All I need to do is work out something with the installer on the spot to add the third run to the 921 location. Easily done I am sure.

So, looks like things will work out if I stay on top of it, though I am chagrinned I have to wait two more weeks. But, that is only because I do not want to pay out of pocket for the upgrade sooner. Bottom line is it does not seem worth it for a couple of weeks viewing. Patience is cheaper, and the install will be warranted, etc., vs. me doing it. [Not that I ever make mistakes or anything...]

In the meantime, the 921 bugs are getting fixed and that is good for me, as I will have to "sell" this more complex gear to the ladies in the house. The men have no problem with more gadgetry, of course.

#8 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:07 AM

Patience is cheaper

Well said. :goodjob:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club