Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contemplating ota/dvr options post dish

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

First, I apologize if this is the wrong area, or has been covered before/elsewhere.

We're a family of two in a small house, watching less tv as we age (sounds almost perverse, doesn't it?)

Consequently the monthly dish charge, reasonable though it may be, is becoming increasingly unnecessary.

We've experimented with OTA reception, and locally, we can get two english-language channels dependably with a little antenna and little effort.

We will miss the dvr functionality offered by our ehd connected to our vip211k when we depart dish.

Is there any inexpensive alternative to acquiring some dvr functionality for the little tv watching we will be doing?

Thanks for looking.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

You can look into this or other Echostar products here:

http://www.myechosta...vices/HDT-610R/

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

You can look into this or other Echostar products here:

http://www.myechosta...vices/HDT-610R/

How about something in the United States not Echostar Europe?

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

I went in through US, how'd I end up in Europe? I just tried it again and couldn't get back to same page. Weird.

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

If you didn't see the suggestions in your post elsewhere, just get the Welcome Pack.

#6 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Yes, thanks folks, Welcome Pack sounds about our speed right now, one of the main reasons being OTA local reception requiring a lot more jiggery-pokery than we're interested in, (we're out in the sticks here, let's face it) and of course the simple dvr functionality we've become accustomed to with the 211k

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

A PC running Windows 7 with Windows Media Center and an OTA tuner card. They can be had relatively cheap ie. under $500, maybe less if you want to go Refurb. Add as big a second HDD as you choose (Mine is 1TB). Mine also has a full function remote control. And I have a 2TB external HDD. No encryption, so easy to transfer to another device!!

You'll have full DVR type functions as far as scheduled recordings. Playback at will with Pause, FF, Rev, etc.

With a DVD/BR drive, you can play your discs, etc.

Drives are nearly loaded up with recordings right now as I'm planning on dropping Dish after this annual renewal since they will be dropping the DVR fee credit.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

A PC running Windows 7 with Windows Media Center and an OTA tuner card. .

Add to that...you can also use a XBox360 with the above as a media extender for the above, should you need a second room tv, or just not want a computer sitting under your tv.

I have the above setup in a media closet with two OTA tuners, and one FTA satellite tuner. Have PlayOn installed for access to internet content. I am using SageTv which is no longer available, but it works exactly the same way as SayWhat's suggestion. Its very workable.

For tuners, check HDHOMERUN or Hauppauge.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#9 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:57 AM

Most of the Tivo boxes have 2 built-in OTA tuners. You still have a fee associated with the box, though. On the used market, you might be able to pick up a DTVPal.

As for OTA reception, it's actually not difficult for most people in most locations. A quality rooftop antenna with a preamplifier will do wonders for many locations. Check your particular location on TVFool, and if your signal strength for all your locals is better than -100dB, you should have no significant issues with a rooftop antenna.

#10 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Most of the Tivo boxes have 2 built-in OTA tuners. You still have a fee associated with the box, though. On the used market, you might be able to pick up a DTVPal.

As for OTA reception, it's actually not difficult for most people in most locations. A quality rooftop antenna with a preamplifier will do wonders for many locations. Check your particular location on TVFool, and if your signal strength for all your locals is better than -100dB, you should have no significant issues with a rooftop antenna.

Again, the Welcome Pak makes THE most sense with their existing DISH equipment. The (monthly) Tivo fee is the SAME price as the Welcome Pak; plus the WP gives them about 20 national channels - on TOP of all their local channels.

You then still have all the upfront costs of the antenna, pre-amp, Tivo itself, etc. Their existing DISH receiver/HDD (DVR) has NO other monthly costs. If they wanted to add a 2nd 211k, it would only add another $7/month to their bill, & they could also add a HDD to it for another DVR receiver for no added costs from DISH. (the $40 EHD enabling fee they already paid, is good for ALL receivers on one account)

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

And, you are already set up and will only take a phone call, chat or DIRT member to make it happen now.

#12 OFFLINE   ubankit

ubankit

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

http://www.avsforum....mer-owned-units

Here's a link to ota hd-dvr's; I subscribe to Direct and I also have a Dish DTV Pal Dvr for my ota option. I figger that if money gets too tight I can drop Direct and use the ota option supplemented with Netflix streaming for $7 a month.

#13 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Drives are nearly loaded up with recordings right now as I'm planning on dropping Dish after this annual renewal since they will be dropping the DVR fee credit.

I haven't heard about the DVR fee issue. Is there a link to an article?
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#14 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

I assume the $6 DVR fee. Can you use a 211 as a dvr with the Welcome pack?

Edited by HDlover, 24 September 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

Yes (again)...

#16 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:47 AM

I assume the $6 DVR fee. Can you use a 211 as a dvr with the Welcome pack?

Yes, $40 EHD activation fee, no dvr fee.

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

OP stated 'post Dish', not 'reduced Dish bill'.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#18 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

How about this one ? It says it works off an antenna and no monthly fees. Records 2 shows at a time.

http://www.channelma.../cm-7000pal.htm

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#19 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

OP stated 'post Dish', not 'reduced Dish bill'.

Check post #6.

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,516 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Are two OTA channels going to satisfy the need?

There are surprisingly few OTA recording options but you really need to decide if you're going to have anything worth recording before you get too deep into hardware.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall