Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contemplating ota/dvr options post dish

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

HD TiVo with lifetime subscription is about the same price as that CM tuner - and you get two tuners AND you can copy recordings to your PC for later saving to DVD/commercial removal, etc.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

For what it is worth there are new models of the Magnavox DVD recorders with hard drives. Now 320Gb, 500Gb and 1Tb models. And you can edit the video and burn it to a DVD too. Link to the AVS forum messages about them, 722 pages worth now. http://www.avsforum....ilips-3576-3575

They need manual timers but the output isn't bad to my eyes despite being 720 by 480 resolution when recorded for HD channels. When setting a manual timer you can set the name that will be displayed on the recording.

I have my older model set for 30 Second forward skip and 5 Second reverse Skip to make it work like My DVR is set. The video displays in the OAR on my HDTV and after a couple of seconds you forget it is recording somewhere in-between SD and HD resolution. You own it an no subscription fee. I use mine to record any third locals channel that conflicts in my two tuner Satellite DVR.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#23 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

For what it is worth there are new models of the Magnavox DVD recorders with hard drives. Now 320Gb, 500Gb and 1Tb models. And you can edit the video and burn it to a DVD too. Link to the AVS forum messages about them, 722 pages worth now. http://www.avsforum....ilips-3576-3575

They need manual timers but the output isn't bad to my eyes despite being 720 by 480 resolution when recorded for HD channels. When setting a manual timer you can set the name that will be displayed on the recording.

I have my older model set for 30 Second forward skip and 5 Second reverse Skip to make it work like My DVR is set. The video displays in the OAR on my HDTV and after a couple of seconds you forget it is recording somewhere in-between SD and HD resolution. You own it an no subscription fee. I use mine to record any third locals channel that conflicts in my two tuner Satellite DVR.

Those Magnavox units are really nice for what they are, a machine to make dvd's of tv programs. But after using a Dish dvr, most people will go crazy trying to make do with the vcr-like interface. Plus they only have one tuner to record with. Using it as a back-up recorder to your Dish dvr is a smart way to use it. Using it as a primary recorder would be very frustrating. I still have a Panasonic DMR-EH75V dvd recorder w/80gb hdd that I archive shows from my Dish dvr. I use a pc tuner to record ota programs in hd for channels that Dish doesn't have in hd locally (The CW and PBS).

If I was going back to strictly ota, I would spend the money and either get a Tivo w/lifetime or a WMC pc with tv tuners. Great menus, very flexible and they both record in HD.

#24 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

HD TiVo with lifetime subscription is about the same price as that CM tuner - and you get two tuners AND you can copy recordings to your PC for later saving to DVD/commercial removal, etc.

TiVo notes that the newest HD TiVo's (Premiere 4 and Premiere XL4) aren't compatible with OTA. They feature four QAM tuners and no OTA tuners. The Premiere still handles OTA but it is questionable how much longer it will be offered.

The Channel Master (Echostar) has two tuners.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#25 OFFLINE   bonchien

bonchien

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

I've been using a Magnavox MDR-513 for over a year and it has worked great. I've never had a problem with having enough space if you are wondering which model to buy. It can only record in SD, but it up-scales the SD video to HD for my 42" TV making it look really good. Does a better job of up-scaling than my Sony Blu-Ray player does with DVDs. The Magnavox DVR also has a cable tuner that receives clear QAM channels. If you have cable internet to your home, you'll probably get a lot of clear QAM local channels for free over that same cable. Only problem is it can only operate the cable tuner or OTA tuner one at a time; it can't do both at one time. It can pause liver recordings and do all the normal DVR stuff. Programming is time based VCR style. I don't have a problem with that, but some people might.

I tried the ChannelMaster DVR before the Magnavox, but it could not receive the TV Guide channel guide in my area. Somehow this is supposed to be broadcast by an OTA station, but none of my locals did it. It also does not have the clear QAM capability. I've been happy with the Magnavox, but I just signed up for Dish with the VIP-211K and plan to add a spare external hard drive to give it DVR capability.

#26 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

TiVo notes that the newest HD TiVo's (Premiere 4 and Premiere XL4) aren't compatible with OTA. They feature four QAM tuners and no OTA tuners. The Premiere still handles OTA but it is questionable how much longer it will be offered.

The Channel Master (Echostar) has two tuners.

I was recommending the HD TiVo , not the Premiere.

I have 2 TiVo series 3 Model TCD662160's with the original HDD's repalced by 1TB WD DVR drives - 142 Hrs HD, 1241 hrs SD capacity, both together cost me less than $600 including the special DVR hard drives.

I do not even look at the Premiere Line, Series 4, but all but the latest Premiere 4 do have OTA capability, that is something you need to watch with buying a TiVo - read the fine print and make sure the unit you buy is OTA capable.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma

#27 OFFLINE   thomas_d92

thomas_d92

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

I bought a Tivo XL premiere with lifetime service for $315 used and it does ota. The new Elite Series Tivo does not do ota. I am very satisfied with my purchase. The Tivo puts my Directv HR20-700 to shame.

#28 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Not sure why folkz is buyin' gadgets what has subscription rates when WMC is FREE to use.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#29 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Not sure why folkz is buyin' gadgets what has subscription rates when WMC is FREE to use.

Free if you don't mind tying up or having to buy an extra computer.

Dedicated units are much more user friendly, but WMC does work.

#30 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Drives are nearly loaded up with recordings right now as I'm planning on dropping Dish after this annual renewal since they will be dropping the DVR fee credit.

Wow. WOOOOW.

Of all the people on this forum I least expected a post like that from you SW.
All the crap you've given people over asking for credits or demanding credits to return after they run there course, or people leaving once there credits are done.

And you've been doing the same thing all along lol.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...