Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Go back to the old layout

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

That probably helps explain why it is performing so poorly. These things are NOT meant to be plugged in just when you want to watch football. The HDD is probably trashed or has gone bad. Electronics devices like these are not meant to be used like that. Liken it to your computer, if you only used it a few months a year, it would spend most of its time just trying to catch up with software updates you missed the other 7 months of the year. For some, it doesnt matter how fast the sat device is, it will never be fast enough, but most have seen that a proper functioning receiver/dvr is quite usable using the newer HD Gui that we have had for a least 6 months.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

The hard drive is fine...I can still access all my recorded shows I have recorded before.
There has to be a way to "clean" out the DVR to speed it up.

Is there a way I can just format the HDD and start from scratch like a PC?

#23 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

If you have done all the things suggested,
and you want to just start over,
this will erase all Recordings, Settings, Series Set Ups and Favorites Lists.

Menu, Settings, Reset and use the last one in the list ( Reset Everything ) .

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#24 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

I'd recommend taking jimmie57's drastic measures, NateCohen. You are using the latest software. Something is seriously wrong with your DVR. Short of junking the whole thing and getting an HR24, which would solve your problem, it's the last step.

And do leave it plugged in and operating the rest of the year, would ya? CCarncross is right. You wouldn't put a lineman in a football game who's been sitting on the couch eating Cheetos since February, would you? If you just plugged your HR22 in, it's probably updating it's little heart out right now, and is justifiably slow.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#25 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

The thing is I have FiosTV so I don't need the DirecTV for anything else.
I will do the full reset since I don't have anything to lose anyway.
Thanks for all your help everyone I really appreciate it!

Edited by NateCohen, 06 October 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

The thing is I have FiosTV so I don't need the DirecTV for anything else.
I will do the full reset since I don't have anything to lose anyway.
Thanks for all your help everyone I really appreciate it!

To repeat a previous poster. Give it 3 or 4 days to download all the graphics that are now included in the DVRs software. It can be slow at times while it is doing that.
I would still go into the settings and adjust the things mentioned previously as they do most of the time speed up responses.

Let us know how it goes please.
Thanks

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth. As a DirecTV tech agent, I would rather not have a television than have an HR22.

When the new GUI came out, every 3rd call to our support center was an issue on IRD slowness. Through the last 6 months of software updates most of the IRD complaints have faded away. The H25 callers nearly dissappeared about a month ago but we still get complaints every once in awhile for the HR22. I would personally refuse to have any HR22s or H25s installed in my own home because of this. I know there are lots of people using them without a problem, but the odds of one being unusably slow is just too great and a headache I would rather choose not to live with.

I doubt there is any solution for OP's problem at this time.

Edited by smitbret, 26 September 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

I've owned an HR20, 3 HR21s, 2 HR24s and 2 H25s. The HR21s are, and always have been, the slowest of the lot. One HR21 has always run with it's internal drive only and has always been significantly faster that the HR21 with a 1.5TB external drive. As the external drive filled up, it slowed down significantly. The same was true of the HR20 - as the drive filled up, it slowed down.

However, the HR24s and the H25s have always been extremely quick to respond. I am very surprised to see smitbret's comment about H25 slowness - it is definitely not my experience, and the first such report I have seen.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#29 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

I've owned an HR20, 3 HR21s, 2 HR24s and 2 H25s. The HR21s are, and always have been, the slowest of the lot. One HR21 has always run with it's internal drive only and has always been significantly faster that the HR21 with a 1.5TB external drive. As the external drive filled up, it slowed down significantly. The same was true of the HR20 - as the drive filled up, it slowed down.

However, the HR24s and the H25s have always been extremely quick to respond. I am very surprised to see smitbret's comment about H25 slowness - it is definitely not my experience, and the first such report I have seen.

I agree completely about the H25. I have had NO problems and have seen very few posts about H25 problems.

Can't say the same about my HR24's; they are pretty good now, but there were some terrible firmware releases along the way.

#30 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth. As a DirecTV tech agent, I would rather not have a television than have an HR22.

When the new GUI came out, every 3rd call to our support center was an issue on IRD slowness. Through the last 6 months of software updates most of the IRD complaints have faded away. The H25 callers nearly dissappeared about a month ago but we still get complaints every once in awhile for the HR22. I would personally refuse to have any HR22s or H25s installed in my own home because of this. I know there are lots of people using them without a problem, but the odds of one being unusably slow is just too great and a headache I would rather choose not to live with.

You are in an unusual position that can lead to a skewed perception.

You talk about "the odds". How many HR22s are out there? Thousands? Tens of thousands? 100 thousand? More? Now how many of those HR22 users actually called with complaints? If you do the math it probably comes down to an infinitessimal percentage of the number of units actually placed in the field.

The problem is, all you hear are the complaints. It's an uneven representation of the overall performance of the unit. It paints the picture that they are all bad. You don't hear from the people who aren't experiencing any problem.

While the HR22 may have more problems than the HR21 or the HR23 (taking you at your word that those are the units you receive the most calls about) that doesn't mean they are bad.

I had a similar experience when I worked for an electronic parts distributor. To cite a specific example withough naming names, there was a certain model of television from a certain manufacturer for which we sent out what seemed to be an outrageous number or flyback transformers that were for replacement under the warranty. I was convinced that this was a crappy TV. The factory rep from that manufacturer was in the warehouse one day and I mentioned it to him. He pointed out to me that the number of those sets that had been sold versus the number of warranty failures worked out to approximately .05 percent of the total population experiencing a warranty failure. The other half-million people who had no problem with their TV weren't calling me every day and telling me about it.

I have no problems with my HR22. It is no better and no worse than my HR21, my HR20 or my R22.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#31 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Agreed - I would rather watch paint dry 24/7 than to use an HR22. I paid $600 to get rid of them....

Worst thing is that my 3 HR24s worked much better before the 'upgrade' to the HDGUI. Things have calmed down a bit now but I still don't have the speed I had before and I still occasionally have to restart to get them back in line. I'd take the old GUI in a heartbeat. We didn't really gain anything other than trouble and the ease of using one HDDVR to run an HDTV and an SD TV in that extra bedroom that rarely gets used.

What a pain.

#32 OFFLINE   deardeva

deardeva

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

You are in an unusual position that can lead to a skewed perception.

You talk about "the odds". How many HR22s are out there? Thousands? Tens of thousands? 100 thousand? More? Now how many of those HR22 users actually called with complaints? If you do the math it probably comes down to an infinitessimal percentage of the number of units actually placed in the field.

The problem is, all you hear are the complaints. It's an uneven representation of the overall performance of the unit. It paints the picture that they are all bad. You don't hear from the people who aren't experiencing any problem.

While the HR22 may have more problems than the HR21 or the HR23 (taking you at your word that those are the units you receive the most calls about) that doesn't mean they are bad.

I had a similar experience when I worked for an electronic parts distributor. To cite a specific example withough naming names, there was a certain model of television from a certain manufacturer for which we sent out what seemed to be an outrageous number or flyback transformers that were for replacement under the warranty. I was convinced that this was a crappy TV. The factory rep from that manufacturer was in the warehouse one day and I mentioned it to him. He pointed out to me that the number of those sets that had been sold versus the number of warranty failures worked out to approximately .05 percent of the total population experiencing a warranty failure. The other half-million people who had no problem with their TV weren't calling me every day and telling me about it.

I have no problems with my HR22. It is no better and no worse than my HR21, my HR20 or my R22.

HUGE AGREE!!! you cant base opinions on just one slice of the pie!

#33 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

I agree that my attitude may be skewed, but I take my observations in realtive terms. I take tech requests for all of the IRDs. I would be willing to bet that I took 1 HR22 slowness complaint for every slowness complaint of all other HDDVRs combined. In fact I can't remember a non-HR22 slowness comlaint call in the last couple of months. The HR22 slowness complaints are still rolling in every couple of days or so. HR20? Nope, HR21? Nope. HR23? Nope. HR24? Nope.

I did say that the H25 sluggish complaints have really ceased with the last couple of updates and there are other reasons I would never take one if any H21,23 or 24 was available.

Are there far more people with properly running H25s and HR22s? Certainly. Am I surprised when someone says "I have done everything and my HR22 is still running like cold molasses"? No. Would I let an installer put one in my home? Nope. The odds of getting a bad HR22 is so much higher than it is for other HD DVRs, that I am not willing to take that chance.

#34 OFFLINE   FussyBob

FussyBob

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

2, HR22 receivers in the house, both peform identical, quick and snappy, downloads for On-Demand and Youtube great, channel input/switching channels are fast.

PQ is fine.

I would really not want to get rid of these two.

To the OP whenever my receivers started to get slow in the past, I just pull the ac plug from them, rather than the reset button, or menu resets, wait about 15 seeconds, plug it back in, the box will reset and your should be good to go.

#35 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

2, HR22 receivers in the house, both peform identical, quick and snappy, downloads for On-Demand and Youtube great, channel input/switching channels are fast.

PQ is fine.

I would really not want to get rid of these two.

To the OP whenever my receivers started to get slow in the past, I just pull the ac plug from them, rather than the reset button, or menu resets, wait about 15 seeconds, plug it back in, the box will reset and your should be good to go.

I think part of the problem is that your definition of 'quick and snappy' is much different than mine. I left Dish with 622s and 721 and moved to 3 HR22s. I can tell you that I was in shock at how painfully slow the HR22s where... And that was until I replaced them with HR24-500s.

The HR24-500s used to be nearly as fast as the 3-4 year old 622s from Dish but have slowed down with the 'updates'. Still usable and still much quicker than my HR22s used to be.

I've just accepted the fact that if I want DirecTV I have to live with their screwy firmware and sometimes quick-sometimes not-so-quick receivers. They have been this way since they shipped the first HR20 way back in the day.

It's funny - I think you are the first person I think I've ever seen describe the HR22 (or any HR21/22/23) as 'quick and snappy'!:D

#36 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Would I let an installer put one in my home? Nope. The odds of getting a bad HR22 is so much higher than it is for other HD DVRs, that I am not willing to take that chance.

I'm still curious as to what those "odds" are. One in 1,000? One in 5,000?

Seriously, I'm not picking on you. I'd honestly be interested in knowing.

But I was sent an HR22 and like most of us I had no choice as to what model I got. We get whatever's in the pool. Of course I was acting on a special offer. If I was jut going to pay full price I'd probably go to Solid Signal where I not only get to pick the model I want, but I cannot even get anything older than an HR24. In fact they have finally exhausted their R22's so the "cheap" option isn't out there any more. If I want another HD DVR from Solid Signal t's strictly an HR24 or newer.

Thankfully all my equipment is reliable and satisfactory. I know that is not the case for everyone.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Good post! The 22-100 has been problematic since it was released. So has the 23-700. If you're lucky enough to have one that works properly, enjoy. Personally, I wouldn't have either in my home. Or any other 21. Just an opinion, if you have one that works, enjoy it.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Question: If the HR22 is so bad, why was it picked to be the hardware for the THR22 ?

#39 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Question: If the HR22 is so bad, why was it picked to be the hardware for the THR22 ?

Because at the time it was picked, it was the closest thing D* had to a Tivo Series 3. The HR24 uses a different chipset.

The THR22 runs much faster than the HR22, which speaks volumes about the quality of D*'s software.

#40 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

I think part of the problem is that your definition of 'quick and snappy' is much different than mine. I left Dish with 622s and 721 and moved to 3 HR22s. I can tell you that I was in shock at how painfully slow the HR22s where... And that was until I replaced them with HR24-500s.

The HR24-500s used to be nearly as fast as the 3-4 year old 622s from Dish but have slowed down with the 'updates'. Still usable and still much quicker than my HR22s used to be.

I had the same exact problem with my HR24 -- fast before the HD GUI, slow afterwards. It caused me to try out FIOS and I'm canceling D* soon. Anybody who has used a newer version of Dish or FIOS DVR (or the SD GUI on a Tivo) is spoiled. All D* DVRs are pathetically slow in comparison. Even the SD GUI on an HR24 was a little slower (but was good enough where no one complained).

When my family tried to use the HR24 side-by-side with the QIP7232, we couldn't. We wanted to throw the HR24 out the window. It had the same speed as it always had after the HD GUI "update" (slow), but it went from tolerable to unbearable. It just pales in comparison. I discovered my family had become so frustrated they hadn't actually used the HR24 in over 3 weeks, so I suspended D* service and I'm waiting out the 9 months just in case. But we felt like idiots for putting up with the HR24 as long as we did.

So to those who have an even slower DVR, or had a fast DVR that is now slow, I feel for you.

spam firewall