Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Go back to the old layout

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

I doubt there is any solution for OP's problem at this time.

Correction: There is no FREE solution at this time. He could always get another DVR, and they'll send out at LEAST a HR23 I think. The HR24 seems to work well here anyways. Every so often I notice slowness when deleting a very large program (had that a lot with the 8-hour Olympic programs) but other than that it is fine.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

As a DirecTV tech agent...I doubt there is any solution for OP's problem at this time.

As a DirecTV tech agent, you must know it takes a while for the new HD software to load and the DVR may be slow during that period.

Did you read upthread? The OP hasn't had his receiver plugged in since February. He only uses it for Sunday Ticket. It is very conceivable the unit has been plugged in for just a few hours for the past three Sundays. We don't know when 0x5d2 downloaded onto his machine. He may still be getting Guide data, which we all know slows down all of their DVRs.

It was recommended that he wipe the thing clean, download the HD software and leave it plugged in for a few days before this next Sunday for everything to update. Sounds like a plan to me. A nice, clean, virgin DVR should operate fine.

I got you don't like the HR22. You aren't alone. But to write off a situation like this, well, I hope you are better on the phone with customers.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

I had the same exact problem with my HR24 -- fast before the HD GUI, slow afterwards. It caused me to try out FIOS and I'm canceling D* soon. Anybody who has used a newer version of Dish or FIOS DVR (or the SD GUI on a Tivo) is spoiled. All D* DVRs are pathetically slow in comparison. Even the SD GUI on an HR24 was a little slower (but was good enough where no one complained).

When my family tried to use the HR24 side-by-side with the QIP7232, we couldn't. We wanted to throw the HR24 out the window. It had the same speed as it always had after the HD GUI "update" (slow), but it went from tolerable to unbearable. It just pales in comparison. I discovered my family had become so frustrated they hadn't actually used the HR24 in over 3 weeks, so I suspended D* service and I'm waiting out the 9 months just in case. But we felt like idiots for putting up with the HR24 as long as we did.

So to those who have an even slower DVR, or had a fast DVR that is now slow, I feel for you.

I've got eight 24s and they have all gotten over the slowness thing. I've never tried another provider's DVRs, except for Cablevision's crappy DVR, so I can't really comment on the difference in speed. I do know that Dish and FIOS are not gonna let me have a setup such as I have now unless I pay a small fortune for it. Dish did send me a voucher for several hundred dollars a couple years ago, I think it was ~ $600, to get me started on a new system if I decided to switch. Thought that was nice of them. Didn't come close to the $2000 they estimated the cheapest setup would be.

Rich

#44 ONLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

Agreed - I would rather watch paint dry 24/7 than to use an HR22. I paid $600 to get rid of them....

Worst thing is that my 3 HR24s worked much better before the 'upgrade' to the HDGUI. Things have calmed down a bit now but I still don't have the speed I had before and I still occasionally have to restart to get them back in line. I'd take the old GUI in a heartbeat. We didn't really gain anything other than trouble and the ease of using one HDDVR to run an HDTV and an SD TV in that extra bedroom that rarely gets used.

What a pain.

+1

My two 22s and my 23 are almost impossible to watch. They don't respond to channel number entries. I don't want to hear from Carl **** that I need to go to channel one, wait 15 seconds, enter a bunch of color commands, change all my settings, reboot every other week, etc. DTV charges a fortune to rent these things and they don't work as advertised. When I was offered an "upgrade last month, they could not guarantee which model I would receive. They would lock me into a new two year commitment though - I'm not concerned about be locked in, cable sucks, but I don't appreciate the bait and switch way they go about extending contracts.

And don't tell me I have to delete half my content to speed up the box. Use better components if your product can't handle the usage they are designed for.

My 24 is somewhat more responsive, but has it's moments.

I really like DTV and the features, but I am having trouble explaining to the wife every night why she can't change a channel.

#45 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Well I did do a complete wipe of the DVR.
It is still very slow. I am actually upgrading my service and getting 4 new receivers.
If I call back and complain do you think they will replace the HR-22 I have now with a new DVR?

#46 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

Well I did do a complete wipe of the DVR.
It is still very slow. I am actually upgrading my service and getting 4 new receivers.
If I call back and complain do you think they will replace the HR-22 I have now with a new DVR?

They can't guarantee anything except a 34, which is an upgrade.

#47 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Well I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they can do because this thing is unbearable, and if I'm going to be using DirecTV full time I am NOT using this thing.

I am getting a whole home DVR...does that mean the DVRs will be different?

#48 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 721 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

Well I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they can do because this thing is unbearable, and if I'm going to be using DirecTV full time I am NOT using this thing.

I am getting a whole home DVR...does that mean the DVRs will be different?

Whole Home DVR could be a 20, 21, 22, 23 or 24. But since you have a 22 and you get it replaced, you will get another refurb 22 because its in the system on your account. I had a shiny black HR21-200 that took a dump a couple months ago and I got a shiny black HR21-100 to replace it, even though I have a bunch of HR24's active on my account.

I have all of the HR's- 20, 21, 22, 24, 34 and THR22 receivers. When I upgraded my old HR10's, they sent me 3 HR23's. After two months of hell, I could not take the slowness anymore. This was over 2.5 years ago. The 23's were slower than the 22's because of the built in DECA I guess. I complained enough on one phone call to four different departments, and after an hour on the phone, they agreed to swap the 3 HR23's for HR24's.

My DirecTV experience of receivers fastest to slowest......HR24-100, THR22, HR20-700, HR20-100, HR21, HR22 then lastly HR23. And I disabled scrolling effects, have AM21's and record a lot of crap!

Hope this helps.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...