Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR34 coming! What should I expect at install?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

I just ordered an HR34 and AM-21 for a Friday install and would like to know what to anticipate from the installer (And what to ask for!). I've read many posts about this, but am still confused (HMC,RVU,DECA,MRV,CCK,SWM...my head is spinning).

I currently have two HR20s and the old 4 wire lnb. I know that a SWM is required, so that must be done.The Slimline dish is 8 months old. Will they just replace the lnb and repeak the dish?

A CCK is being sent (D* rep wanted to know if I had an internet connection)..... Do I need it? I really only want 2 separate DVRs. So the HR34 is coming more for 5 tuners (and to have a newer model) than whole house connection. Does this seem reasonable?

Anything that the tech might try to shortcut?

Thanks for any advice!

Fred

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

If you are getting rid of one DVR, they'll replace the LNB. The CCK is recommended for on demand and such, plus they are wanting to get more on the Internet overall. The tech has to get a certain percentage connected.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

What models of HR20's? The HR20-100 is wired to the SWiM system a bit differently than other HR models. If your total tuner count is 8 or less, they will put in a different LNB with one wire running to a splitter then with one wire to each DVR. Don't let them put in a splitter with a bunch of unused ports. If you're only using two wires for the two tuners, an 8-way splitter is not the correct splitter.
If you have broadband Internet, I'd get your DirecTV system connected to it now while they are already there. After they get your 34 connected, they'll look at your signal strengths to determine whether the dish needs to be tweaked.

#4 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

I figured the CCK was not necessary, but "highly recommended" by D*.

I have an HR20-700 (will keep) and an HR20-100(to be replaced by HR34). So tuner count will be 7.

Anything else I need to know? Think I can talk the tech into an HR24 (to replace the Hr20-700).... if he has one on the truck?

Thanks!

Fred

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Anything else I need to know? Think I can talk the tech into an HR24 (to replace the Hr20-700).... if he has one on the truck?

You can always ask. Of course it will depend on what he has on his truck and how well you've treated him.

#6 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

You can always ask. Of course it will depend on what he has on his truck and how well you've treated him.

I get your drift....If he has one, I'll treat him well!

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,661 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

I figured the CCK was not necessary, but "highly recommended" by D*.

I have an HR20-700 (will keep) and an HR20-100(to be replaced by HR34). So tuner count will be 7.

Thanks!

Fred

If he has the slightest problem setting up the HR20-700 with a DECA to get Whole Home working, suggest you're willing to swap it for a HR24 which have a DECA built into 'em.

This is one case where you'll be better off with an incompetent installer.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

If he has the slightest problem setting up the HR20-700 with a DECA to get Whole Home working, suggest you're willing to swap it for a HR24 which have a DECA built into 'em.

This is one case where you'll be better off with an incompetent installer.

It would be a -100 an incompetent installer would have issues with. But don't they have to go by what's on the work order?

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

It would be a -100 an incompetent installer would have issues with. But don't they have to go by what's on the work order?

Do they call out model numbers on the workorder?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

I think the only specific model numbers used on work orders are the HR34 and Tivo; the other work orders would be 'HD DVR'. But I believe what dpeters11 is referring to is the current work order calls for installing an HR34 and AM21; nothing about swapping out one of his HR20s.

#11 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

I think the only specific model numbers used on work orders are the HR34 and Tivo; the other work orders would be 'HD DVR'. But I believe what dpeters11 is referring to is the current work order calls for installing an HR34 and AM21; nothing about swapping out one of his HR20s.

True, if it isn't on the work order that means they don't have to swap it out. However, many times if they have issues getting Whole Home DVR to work they will call in and get the order changed to authorize an additional receiver to be swapped out to get Whole Home DVR to work. Many techs end up doing this because they get confused by the different setups for the HR20-100 and HR20-700. However, nothing guarantees it will be swapped out with an HR24. It might end up just getting swapped out with an HR21/22/23 and a DECA adapter.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#12 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:30 AM

Update on my install and some questions:

My new HR34 and a new HR24-200 (thanks to all for the suggestions on getting this done!) with an AM-21 arrived yesterday along with the installer. Three days early! He used the existing 4 coax wires from the lnb to a large SWiM splitter(16)->[EDIT: should have said "multiswitch-16" not "splitter"] and then to a smaller SWiM splitter for the HR34 (I expected a new single wire setup-and don't have a clue as to what was done). It was a neat/clean install otherwise and seems to be working properly.

He left (very late day) without explaining whole home. So I tried it (didn't work) and online it says it's "not authorized". So, I guess I need to call D* for authorization? Is there a separate monthly fee for having whole home authorized? I'm not sure of it's value to me. I mainly needed the 5- tuner DVR for recording conflicts. Our HR24 won't get much use. We skipped the CCK as I never do VOD,etc.

I was surprised to not get a manual, so I downloaded one (apparently it's for all newer DVRS?).

The guide is VERY slow to populate (only through today after 12+ hours). Is this normal? Any way to speed it up? I'd like to get my recording series all entered!

Thanks!
Fred

Edited by Volman, 26 September 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,661 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Update on my install and some questions:

My new HR34 and a new HR24-200 (thanks to all for the suggestions on getting this done!) with an AM-21 arrived yesterday along with the installer. Three days early! He used the existing 4 coax wires from the lnb to a large SWiM splitter(16) and then to a smaller SWiM splitter for the HR34 (I expected a new single wire setup-and don't have a clue as to what was done). It was a neat/clean install otherwise and seems to be working properly.

He left (very late day) without explaining whole home. So I tried it (didn't work) and online it says it's "not authorized". So, I guess I need to call D* for authorization? Is there a separate monthly fee for having whole home authorized? I'm not sure of it's value to me. I mainly needed the 5- tuner DVR for recording conflicts. Our HR24 won't get much use. We skipped the CCK as I never do VOD,etc.

I was surprised to not get a manual, so I downloaded one (apparently it's for all newer DVRS?).

The guide is VERY slow to populate (only through today after 12+ hours). Is this normal? Any way to speed it up? I'd like to get my recording series all entered!

Thanks!
Fred

That second SWiM doesn't sound right. All you need is a 2-way or 4-way green slitter.

Yes you need to call.

Yes the Guide and other items can take up 48 HRS to completely fill in the first time a STB is install.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#14 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

That second SWiM doesn't sound right. All you need is a 2-way or 4-way green slitter.

Yes you need to call.

Yes the Guide and other items can take up 48 HRS to completely fill in the first time a STB is install.

Thanks, Drew.

I think the splitters are the green ones you mentioned. But they have "SWiM" on them (i.e. they are not powered like the SWiM 16 he installed and look like normal coax splitters).

Fred

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

The SWiM-16 is a multiswitch, it does a lot more than split. I think you've confused some of our convivial members by calling it a splitter.

The multiswitch is big and grey, the splitters are small and silver with a green sticker. I'm sure you're not saying you have two big grey boxes, right?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

The SWiM-16 is a multiswitch, it does a lot more than split. I think you've confused some of our convivial members by calling it a splitter.

The multiswitch is big and grey, the splitters are small and silver with a green sticker. I'm sure you're not saying you have two big grey boxes, right?

Correct. I meant SWiM multiswitch to 2 splitters (SWiM 2 way and SWim 8-way). Sorry.

Fred

spam firewall