Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just Tried to Get HR34

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

We have two old HR20's which on which the guides are getting very sluggish. I couple of weeks ago I was offered the HR34 for $100 but declined at the time. So I called back, got into retention and complained about the receivers and said they should be replaced.

I was transferred to tech where the only deal they would offer was $400 PLUS installation charges.

I'm not a long time customer, I'm a very long time customer, and this is the way they treat me?

Any strategy suggestions for a call back?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Anything can happen, but I think you should have taken the $100 offer. That's a great price for the upgrade.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

You may have to do a little dialing for dollars.

Here's the story of my getting a HR34 for no charge.

The only thing I would have done differently is cancel the WHDVR service for my unsupported system a few days before I called in. It would have made things easier for both DirecTV and me.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

I wonder if I have to wait a day before calling back? What would happen if I call right away?

I don't have SWM, I know, so can I expect to get free installation?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

I wonder if I have to wait a day before calling back? What would happen if I call right away?

I don't have SWM, I know, so can I expect to get free installation?

Since SWM is required for the HR34, it should be included. Where they might get you a little bit is charging you for the tech visit, which traditionally has been around $50.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I pay the monthly fee for repair, inside and out, forget what they call it. I wonder if that will help?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

I pay the monthly fee for repair, inside and out, forget what they call it. I wonder if that will help?

That's the Protection Plan. Unfortunately, the PP will not help you in this case. Adding the HR34 and changing over to SWM is considered to be an upgrade and not a service issue.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

When I called this morning and talked to the machine, I said the reason I was calling was to "cancel account" which got me sent to a CSR right away. She didn't say she was in Retention, but i assumed she was. Is this the best way to get to retention.

When I talked to her I emphasized how slow our HR20's were since the big update a while back (which is all true). I think my call went wrong when she transferred me to the tech department. I had told her I wanted new receivers, but she said they should handle it.

So tomorrow when I call, I think I'll talk less about the old receivers and more about it's time to get new ones.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#9 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

We have two old HR20's which on which the guides are getting very sluggish. I couple of weeks ago I was offered the HR34 for $100 but declined at the time. So I called back, got into retention and complained about the receivers and said they should be replaced.

I was transferred to tech where the only deal they would offer was $400 PLUS installation charges.

I'm not a long time customer, I'm a very long time customer, and this is the way they treat me?

Any strategy suggestions for a call back?

You do realize they give deals to entice customers, right? You already said you are a long time customer, so why do you think you need an incentive? Are you going to change providers? If so, then let them know that, then see if they will offer you anything not to switch.

I have been with DirecTV since 1995, and I don't expect any freebies. Why should you? If I wanted an HR34, I would order one from Solid Signal.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

So tomorrow when I call, I think I'll talk less about the old receivers and more about it's time to get new ones.

As long as the HR20s work, you'll likely have a very difficult time getting them replaced for free and without a commitment.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

When I called this morning and talked to the machine, I said the reason I was calling was to "cancel account" which got me sent to a CSR right away. She didn't say she was in Retention, but i assumed she was. Is this the best way to get to retention.

When I talked to her I emphasized how slow our HR20's were since the big update a while back (which is all true). I think my call went wrong when she transferred me to the tech department. I had told her I wanted new receivers, but she said they should handle it.

So you wanted to cancel your account, but all you talked about was your receivers? You should have gone through with cancelling your account, or admit that you never intended to and just want something for nothing.

DirecTV already has you as a customer, why do you expect them to give you anything?

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

You can't get to retentions by saying cancel anymore. They knew about this trick.

I do not regret the $399 for my HR34. It was worth it.

#13 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

I never ask or expect any thing by being a Directv customer. Only when something is wrong. Other then that. They owe you nothing. I don't care how long you have been one. The only time I ask for things and new boxes. Once my contract is up and I am open to sign another 2 year deal. They always work with you then and have more lead way. They offered you a good deal and you was to stupid to take it and wanted it for free. What more do you want? That was a $300 dollar discount bone head.

#14 OFFLINE   canekid

canekid

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

I did the "cancel", "cancel" thing, and was off contract.

I said I am having lots of trouble with my setup, it was aging, I can't afford to replace it and was willing to leave to Dish, in order to get new equipment.

This was true, I didn't lie. We discussed options and I mentioned I was interested in the HR34, I had unsupported Whole Home on my Ethernet, and I needed my dish repointed, because I get a lot of dropout.

I was willing to agree to any contract terms, as long as I got little help.

So it was $99, I think it was $150, with a $50 credit, but the net result was something I could handle.

Since I also had international, they rehung two new dishes, batman can swing from. They installed an HR34, H25, and let me keep my HR20, because I wasn't thrilled with the HR21 that the installer had.

A few months later, I got a call for Sunday Tick Max in exchange for a one year commitment, for free, plus Ultimate, and 4 premiums for $5/mo for three months.

My point, I called in for what I wanted/needed. I was willing to pay what I could afford. I agreed to their terms. I was very nice and thankful. And finally, when they called to offer an unbelievable deal, even though it wasn't important to me, I took it.

I bet if they came to me at Christmas time and offered me the $99 deal you were offered, I might have said no. It was real tight, budget wise. So I know where you are coming from.

Try again, be honest, and if you are gong to say cancel, be ready to cancel and carry with you your next move. Have an agenda. Most of all be nice, DTV is not your enemy, they are you facilitator to quality entertainment. :-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup: HR34-700 - Samsung 48" 1080p / HR20-700 - HTPC Slave & DVR Server / H25-100 - Westinghouse 37" 1080p
Notes:Yes I have a Samsung TV. When it quits, I will buy Sony instead

#15 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

OP, if you're married and not under a contract with DTV cancel your service and start new service under your spouses name online through COSTCO (don't have to be a member either). I just did this for a friend, got the HR34 for $100 and 3 H25's for free. Order DTV under costco and get a $120 cash card making the HR34 free plus the discounted programming for 2 years.

#16 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

OP, if you're married and not under a contract with DTV cancel your service and start new service under your spouses name online through COSTCO (don't have to be a member either). I just did this for a friend, got the HR34 for $100 and 3 H25's for free. Order DTV under costco and get a $120 cash card making the HR34 free plus the discounted programming for 2 years.

Try this at your own risk...doesn't always happen this way.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#17 OFFLINE   spiffy

spiffy

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

I really don't agree with the notion that I should have to pay for any of the receivers AT ALL. It's been several years now that all the DTV equipments are considered as "leased", so if I ever leave D* I will have to return all the receivers. I am already paying over $130 a month in programming fees -- I need their hardware in order to use their service, why is this "getting something for nothing"?

(And I've been with D* since 1997, never bugged them for special deals or what not -- in fact everything is still on SD -- I shouldn't have to threaten to cancel in order to get some replacement hardware and try out their so-called latest and greatest...)

/rant off

#18 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

I was in the same position as the original poster, with aging HR20s. I asked Directv what they could do to help me, and it was essentially nothing. I was a long term customer with movie channels, etc. I called back a few times, but it didn't help. So, I decided to try Time Wanrer Signature Home, and haven't looked back. The picture quality is fantastic, more HD channels, and I've replaced my AT&t DSL/phone with TWC Wideband and phone. So, now I get my phone, Wideband (50 mps) cable, whole home dvr and all movie channels for $200 per month, about $30 less than I was paying for Directv, and phone and dsl through AT&T.

It's too bad Directv doesn't try to help existing customers. If they did, I probably never would have looked to Time Warner. Now, for the last year, Directv calls and offers me all kinds of free equipment and bill credits to come back, and I receieve several letters a week as well. What a silly business model. Say no to existing long term customers, and the moment they leave, offer them everything.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

I have also been with them since 1997, and have no problem with them charging an upfront lease fee for their equipment that IMO is superior to almost every other providers stuff today. If someone feels different about their equipment being substandard to other providers, then why do you even stay with Directv? Move on to that superior provider. I have never gotten any freebies from them as far as equipment upgrades, and I am all HD with 3 HD DVR's. Bottom line is this is how D* has decided to price themselves, you either accept it or move along to a provider that you do like their terms. From experience, I usually find that someone that complains enough about D*, has also tried E*, and probably their local cable, and complained about them as well showing that it doesnt matter who their provider is, they will find the faults in everything and never be happy with any of them.

Edited by CCarncross, 28 September 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

Companies only cater to new customers now, loyalty doesn't mean anything to them except them saying "thanks for being a loyal customer", which doesn't get you anywhere.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...