Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your remaining 'wish list' for Dish programming?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

I totally agree,with DirecTV adding more basic HD channels it's time for DISH to make their basic channel HD offerings better with even more HD channels.:)

DISH's biggest hole at the moment is 24/7 regional sports. Even though I don't watch mine not having them has become an issue. It was OK a couple of years ago when the channels themselves lacked 24/7 HD content but it is time to catch up.

I'd also like to see some of the specialty channels like NASA go HD ... but I realize with limited bandwidth the decision on what to fill that space with will likely come down to contracts (where a renewing network refuses carriage without a HD channel) or how much money DISH can make off of the addition.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

How about less compression? Blow everybody else out of the water.

#23 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

How about less compression? Blow everybody else out of the water.

+1

And do away with HD-Lite.

#24 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

+1

And do away with HD-Lite.

All providers broadcast in "HD Lite" If you want real HD, then you have to watch Blu-Rays.

#25 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

All providers broadcast in "HD Lite" If you want real HD, then you have to watch Blu-Rays.

Hence the wish for less compression. Let Dish lead the way with the least compression resulting in the best PQ. Sort of like a price war but in this case a PQ war. And the winner should reap the spoils.

#26 OFFLINE   pfred

pfred

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Remove all SD Channels, and drop costs 25%.
Add:
BBC One
BBC Two
BBC Three
BBC Four
BBC HD
CBBC
BBC News Channel
BBC Parliament

Yeah right.
And I want
The Caribbean Fly Fishing Channel
The Mississippi Fly Fishing Channel
The Australia Fly Fishing Channel

Edited by pfred, 26 September 2012 - 01:50 PM.
typo

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

All providers broadcast in "HD Lite" If you want real HD

False.
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   satlover25

satlover25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

TvOne. I've been asking for it for years. I've waited patiently and I would hate to leave because of one channel, but as my signature shows, it's happening.
HR34
HR21
H25
2 Genie Mini Clients
16+ yrs w/Dish Network...finally had to let them go!

#29 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

False.

Great explanation! Now tell me who, outside of some PPV movies, broadcast in 1080p?

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

Great explanation! Now tell me who, outside of some PPV movies, broadcast in 1080p?

720p, 1080i, and 1080p are all real HD. HD-Lite is a specific term used to describe Dish Network's downsampling of all 1080i channels and reducing their picture quality. What you are thinking of is the marketing term "full HD" and that refers to 1080p.
DTV = Digital Television

#31 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

Maybe a better way to put it: the HD picture you get from OTA is visually better than what you get from the same show on satellite.

#32 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

All providers down-scale 1080i (which is 1920x1080 interlaced lines) to 1440x1080? That is what Dish appears to do, and that was the HD-Lite I was referring to.

What I would like to see is the full resolution provided by the network in question, but also use enough bandwidth to provide a signal as artifact-free as the original.

It simply makes no sense for Dish to provide channels in 1080p that are sourced to them as 1080i. Calling such a failure "HD Lite" robs the definition of meaning.

#33 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Maybe a better way to put it: the HD picture you get from OTA is visually better than what you get from the same show on satellite.

I get a much better picture from ESPN via satellite than OTA.

Local-into-Local is way over-compressed, at least what I've seen of it. But this was not the HD Lite I was referring to. LiL is bandwidth starved, and that is unlikely to change.

Comparing apples to apples, Dish's picture should provide as much detail and color depth as cable or DirecTV do, and it is here that I think Dish is failing to deliver.

#34 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

I have read that FIOS utilizes the least amount of compression. I don't know if that's true. When it comes to compression of signals does anyone really know who does what? Are signals compressed equally on a night to night basis or a channel to channel basis? How about a show to show basis on the same channel? Also, at what distance from a 50" screen can the human eye tell the difference between 1080i at Full HD and HD Lite?

#35 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

720p, 1080i, and 1080p are all real HD. HD-Lite is a specific term used to describe Dish Network's downsampling of all 1080i channels and reducing their picture quality. What you are thinking of is the marketing term "full HD" and that refers to 1080p.

funny thing is dish's HD looks better than directv's

#36 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

funny thing is dish's HD looks better than directv's

If only that were possible
DTV = Digital Television

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Please take your personal battle over HD quality to PM. That isn't what this thread is for.

#38 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

How about a show to show basis on the same channel? Also, at what distance from a 50" screen can the human eye tell the difference between 1080i at Full HD and HD Lite?

I watched Frozen Planet on Discovery during my transition from DirecTV to Dish. I did not have both services simultaneously, so I could not do a true A/B comparison, but I think the comparison I made was valid. I used a 50" 1080p plasma television. Detail was visibly less on Dish, viewed at 8'. I also had to significantly boost color in my television settings to get a proper picture from the Hopper. Boosting leads to an increase in artifacts, in my experience, but sports like football appear totally washed out with settings that look correct for both Blu-Ray and DirecTV. In other words, color depth (which is an easy way to overcompress a signal) is very lacking on Dish. Another channel I frequently watch is the Tennis Channel, and again, my opinion was that Dish lacked that sharp-as-a-tack picture I had seen on DirecTV.

I don't think color depth would be viewing distance dependent. And a wall prevented me from viewing further away than 8' but I could see that the picture detail was less on Dish. Others have asserted the opposite - that Dish's picture is more detailed, but I haven't seen it. Some have argued that I was sitting too close to the television, but I was actually at the outside edge of THX's recommended viewing distance.

So my programming wish for Dish is not more channels (I have plenty, thank you) but a higher quality on existing channels. This obviously means dedicating more bandwidth, and since they are unlikely to be tossing bandwidth they have, would mean they must eliminate duplicate SD channels to create the space. I'd also
Ike to see a tuner for the Hopper, as local channels are terrible.

#39 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

AMC AMC AMC
Smithsonian HD
All the encore channels in HD

#40 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

I get a much better picture from ESPN via satellite than OTA.

How do you get ESPN with an OTA antenna?? I was talking about watching the local HD networks via OTA antenna -you get ESPN OTA?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...