Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your remaining 'wish list' for Dish programming?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

How do you get ESPN with an OTA antenna?? I was talking about watching the local HD networks via OTA antenna -you get ESPN OTA?

Because I record so much content on a weekly basis I find myself recording at least 20 hours using OTA. Being the nosy person I am I can't help but compare OTA vs "E" PQ. Comparing nightly broadcasts like NCIS, Bones, Vampire Diaries, Blue Bloods, Castle, as well as NFL games on ESPN, CBS, and FOX, baseball games on FSNAZ and PAC-12 Channel, boxing on HBO and ESPN 2, I see no noticeable differences between OTA and "E". I really expected to and actually was hoping I would. I've asked my wife many times for her opinion and she agrees with me. Sony 60A3000.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

I see no noticeable differences between OTA and "E". I really expected to and actually was hoping I would.

Many people cannot see the differences. I wish I was one of them. And it no doubt varies by market - if the local spot beams are full, then they have to compress more than an area where the local spot beams have plenty of bandwidth.

The two things to look for are 1) color depth - how rich and vibrant are the colors? An overcompressed picture will look dull. And 2) pixelization - parts of the screen going to blocks. The blockiness is temporary, and almost always on visually busy screens, so it can be hard to detect.

I recorded the finale of American Idol last year, and as the confetti flew, the screen was a horrible mess of large pixels on Dish, but OTA was nearly perfect. Quite often on close-ups of performers, their faces had obvious lack of color depth - there were distinct visible lines from one color to the next making it almost look cartoonish. Honestly, it was quite hard for me to watch. I've seen less evidence of trouble in NFL broadcasts, so maybe things have improved.

#43 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

I want Dish to start fighting to drop the trash channels with which the providers pack their programming packages.

We don't need more channels, we need fewer channels of better quality.

Heaven knows we have more channels than we can watch and it is no longer anything to brag about that you have 250 channels of garbage.

Quality, not quantity.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#44 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

I see no noticeable differences between OTA and "E".

Many people cannot see the differences. I wish I was one of them. And it no doubt varies by market - if the local spot beams are full, then they have to compress more than an area where the local spot beams have plenty of bandwidth.

The two things to look for are 1) color depth - how rich and vibrant are the colors? An overcompressed picture will look dull. And 2) pixelization - parts of the screen going to blocks. The blockiness is temporary, and almost always on visually busy screens, so it can be hard to detect.

I recorded the finale of American Idol last year, and as the confetti flew, the screen was a horrible mess of large pixels on Dish, but OTA was nearly perfect. Quite often on close-ups of performers, their faces had obvious lack of color depth - there were distinct visible lines from one color to the next making it almost look cartoonish. Honestly, it was quite hard for me to watch. I've seen less evidence of trouble in NFL broadcasts, so maybe things have improved.

I too have gone back and forth, closely looking at the same program, when possible same scene, looking at fine details like hair on arms, facial details, looking for artifacts. I look standing at the 55" LG screen, and at viewing distance,for me about 10 feet. I may see the most extreme slightest of difference as far that criteria goes, meaning no clarity or pixelization differences worth mentioning.

There is a slight, but a little more difference in the color saturation. Enough to set the OTA input with just a little less color saturation. Now that may mean there is a little less detail also, but I just can not see it.
We too have the last episode of American Idol on an EHD, so I looked at it. On the EA anyway, it has none of the problems noted. I can't compare it to OTA since I did not record it from there.

I can honestly say from normal viewing distance especially there is virtually no difference, or certainly not enough to be noticed. Different inputs have separate settings specifically for the things like different color saturation from different sources, so in the end, the color saturation is the same for both.
I don't doubt however it can be different on both sides for some people, satellite with maybe fuller HD spotbeams, or OTA with more or less sub channels. Screen size and quality of the TV also play a role. But I would say it is fair to say generally the Dish signal is at the least very close to OTA . If OTA is at this time the gold broadcasting standard, Dish is just about there. It's the end result, what you see that counts more than the technical numbers.
Contrast all that to Charter, many of my friends in Ct. where I am have, and you can most definitely see the difference. It's not subjective.

Edited by tampa8, 30 September 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#45 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

AMC, Smithsonian, ESPNU, Disney, ABC Family, Fox Movie

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#46 OFFLINE   PBowie

PBowie

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Fox Soccer + AND BEIN in HD !

#47 OFFLINE   siwsiw

siwsiw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

beIN HD, ESPNEWS HD, ESPNU HD, FXM HD

#48 OFFLINE   jajone13

jajone13

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

ESPNU HD

#49 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

ESPNU HD.....HHHMMMMMM, seems like a trend. Dish are you listening ? :rolleyes:

#50 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Local OTA is not always HD.

MLB always looks great during a game. So did the world series on the local fox channel.

I believe it is all source stuff.

I noticed yesterday after Sons of anarchy was over on FX,[ picture was just fine] they ran "rescue me" [ I think that's what is was] and the picture was obviously compressed. I had to flip channels to see if there was a problem, but nope, the guide bar read HD, even though it wasn't.

Wish Dish would add all the Encore channels to HD. It's not much of a bonus of subbing to 250 if the picture is crappy.

#51 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:06 AM

I believe it is all source stuff.

And that's why my comparison of a recorded program from Dish with the same program recorded OTA using a DTVPal DVR was relevant - the source was the same in both cases, but the quality of the picture was positively, definitively different. But I also believe that bandwidth limitations are addressed differently by Dish in different markets, and thus it is entirely possible that Dish is not bandwidth starving your OTA locals, while they clearly are mine.

#52 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

Now that the new season of Supernatural has started I have to add the OTA tuner for Hopper to the list. I know it's not exactly a programming wish, but my local CW through DISH is not HD and it was PAINFUL to watch last night.

#53 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I have previously suggested elsewhere that I also would like to see NASA-TV in HD, but I have just become aware of the fact that NASA has several different TV feeds. I was looking to catch a press conference the other day, and found that it was not broadcast on the feed that we get on Dish.

I would suggest/request that Dish carry all of the NASA feeds on Dish online, enabling subscribers to view all of the NASA feeds including the HD one.

#54 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

And that's why my comparison of a recorded program from Dish with the same program recorded OTA using a DTVPal DVR was relevant - the source was the same in both cases, but the quality of the picture was positively, definitively different. But I also believe that bandwidth limitations are addressed differently by Dish in different markets, and thus it is entirely possible that Dish is not bandwidth starving your OTA locals, while they clearly are mine.

easy enough to figure out.

My plasma is also hooked to an antenna as a alternate to dish for OTA.

I really don't watch locals too much, [ local news mostly, some PBS but, that's never compressed] and the next time I do, I will flip between the two inputs to see the difference. I suspect however, it is source compression, but I could be wrong. :)

#55 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

OK,
flipped between dish and antenna on locals.

Definately source based, at least for OTA.

#56 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

With the PAC12 and BIG10 deals ironed out, what is left for Dish to get done to improve your customer experience?

We can say AMC, for one.

In my opinion, the really big enchilada hanging out there is the Disney mess. I would like ESPNU in HD, as well as the Disney 'family' (Disney, Disney XD, etc.) in HD.

Any others that Dish should be working on?

Hopfully Disney will settle soon. I want ESPNU-HD & the Living Well Network which is a sub channel on ABC7 in San Francisco.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#57 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

BBC WORLD
A 24 hour world news channel that is available in most the world and a few cable systems in the US. Reports on world events that is ignored by the US media.

CNN INTERNATIONAL
Is also available in most the world and a few cable systems in the US.

#58 OFFLINE   NightTimeHD

NightTimeHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

PBS in HD

#59 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

BBC WORLD
A 24 hour world news channel that is available in most the world and a few cable systems in the US. Reports on world events that is ignored by the US media.

CNN INTERNATIONAL
Is also available in most the world and a few cable systems in the US.

One idea I have always thought would be great was an English Language International package. The 2 channels you mentioned plus maybe CBC, the real BBC, any other english speaking channels out there.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of Dish Network.

#60 OFFLINE   Mark Martin

Mark Martin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

ESPNU in HD
My local CW channel in HD

I was with DirecTV for almost ten years and I think the one major area that DTV has the advantage is they carry more locals in HD. Dish on the other hand can be easier on your wallet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...