Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your remaining 'wish list' for Dish programming?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:06 AM

I believe it is all source stuff.

And that's why my comparison of a recorded program from Dish with the same program recorded OTA using a DTVPal DVR was relevant - the source was the same in both cases, but the quality of the picture was positively, definitively different. But I also believe that bandwidth limitations are addressed differently by Dish in different markets, and thus it is entirely possible that Dish is not bandwidth starving your OTA locals, while they clearly are mine.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

Now that the new season of Supernatural has started I have to add the OTA tuner for Hopper to the list. I know it's not exactly a programming wish, but my local CW through DISH is not HD and it was PAINFUL to watch last night.

#53 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I have previously suggested elsewhere that I also would like to see NASA-TV in HD, but I have just become aware of the fact that NASA has several different TV feeds. I was looking to catch a press conference the other day, and found that it was not broadcast on the feed that we get on Dish.

I would suggest/request that Dish carry all of the NASA feeds on Dish online, enabling subscribers to view all of the NASA feeds including the HD one.

#54 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

And that's why my comparison of a recorded program from Dish with the same program recorded OTA using a DTVPal DVR was relevant - the source was the same in both cases, but the quality of the picture was positively, definitively different. But I also believe that bandwidth limitations are addressed differently by Dish in different markets, and thus it is entirely possible that Dish is not bandwidth starving your OTA locals, while they clearly are mine.

easy enough to figure out.

My plasma is also hooked to an antenna as a alternate to dish for OTA.

I really don't watch locals too much, [ local news mostly, some PBS but, that's never compressed] and the next time I do, I will flip between the two inputs to see the difference. I suspect however, it is source compression, but I could be wrong. :)

#55 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

OK,
flipped between dish and antenna on locals.

Definately source based, at least for OTA.

#56 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

With the PAC12 and BIG10 deals ironed out, what is left for Dish to get done to improve your customer experience?

We can say AMC, for one.

In my opinion, the really big enchilada hanging out there is the Disney mess. I would like ESPNU in HD, as well as the Disney 'family' (Disney, Disney XD, etc.) in HD.

Any others that Dish should be working on?

Hopfully Disney will settle soon. I want ESPNU-HD & the Living Well Network which is a sub channel on ABC7 in San Francisco.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#57 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

BBC WORLD
A 24 hour world news channel that is available in most the world and a few cable systems in the US. Reports on world events that is ignored by the US media.

CNN INTERNATIONAL
Is also available in most the world and a few cable systems in the US.

#58 OFFLINE   NightTimeHD

NightTimeHD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

PBS in HD

#59 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

BBC WORLD
A 24 hour world news channel that is available in most the world and a few cable systems in the US. Reports on world events that is ignored by the US media.

CNN INTERNATIONAL
Is also available in most the world and a few cable systems in the US.

One idea I have always thought would be great was an English Language International package. The 2 channels you mentioned plus maybe CBC, the real BBC, any other english speaking channels out there.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of Dish Network.

#60 OFFLINE   Mark Martin

Mark Martin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

ESPNU in HD
My local CW channel in HD

I was with DirecTV for almost ten years and I think the one major area that DTV has the advantage is they carry more locals in HD. Dish on the other hand can be easier on your wallet.

#61 OFFLINE   PBowie

PBowie

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Can we get Voom back?? :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...