Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The perfect storm of NFLGM blackouts...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Ten years ago in the NYC market you'd get a Jets/Giants and maybe one more game, then MNF... In other markets you'd get only one game plus MNF... <<Philly comes to mind..

Times have changed.

Now you get Jets/Giants/MNF, SNF, TNF, RZC and typically one more game. Point is, there is so much football on tv the need for the NFLST is fading thus D needs to innovate to stay competitive.

Do the math, that is up to 12 teams, or a 1/3 of the league plus the RZC..... As my brother said to me, I see 85% of the Cowboys in NJ without spending $300.

D simply can't charge the prices they charge any more, the value of the package is no longer there. Thus fix the dam GM channels and keep us who pay all this money coming back.

There is nothing to fix in regards to the ST mix channel. Despite what your solo ranting and raving might suggest, there is no problem to fix.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Ten years ago in the NYC market you'd get a Jets/Giants and maybe one more game, then MNF.
In other markets you'd get only one game plus MNF.

10 yrs ago in NY you would also still have gotten a sunday nite game too.

Dont know what you mean in other markets youd get only 1 game -- theres always a 1:00 & 4:00ish game + as mentioned a sunday nite game too.

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,274 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Ten years ago in the NYC market you'd get a Jets/Giants and maybe one more game, then MNF... In other markets you'd get only one game plus MNF... <<Philly comes to mind..

Times have changed.

Now you get Jets/Giants/MNF, SNF, TNF, RZC and typically one more game. Point is, there is so much football on tv the need for the NFLST is fading thus D needs to innovate to stay competitive.

Do the math, that is up to 12 teams, or a 1/3 of the league plus the RZC..... As my brother said to me, I see 85% of the Cowboys in NJ without spending $300.

D simply can't charge the prices they charge any more, the value of the package is no longer there. Thus fix the dam GM channels and keep us who pay all this money coming back.

Whoa. You are not affixed to reality. For over a decade, the amount of games locally has been pretty fixed. Three on Sunday afternoon. One Sunday night and one Monday night. Thursday night games late in the season have been around for years. The only addition is that Thursday games do not start on thanksgiving day.

So, local tv (including cable) has added about 10 games a year. Wow. A virtual tidal wave.

Meanwhile, directv invented the Red Zone channel and still has Sunday ticket and has the mix channel. As well as mobile access.

Oh, and the price for all that has dropped.

Not to mention that the primary target for Sunday ticket is fans of a team who are out of market. The mix channel has little impact.

So, again, what does this have to do with a game or two missing from the mix channel?

Please use linear thought and logic to get across your point. I don't understand spaghetti logic (through crap on the all to see what sticks).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#24 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Here's my own version of Game Mix.

I use my HR34 for PIP.

Attached Thumbnails

• media room 2012.jpg

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - present

#25 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 157 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm reading through this thread and can't help but think saleen is searching for a solution that doesn't have a problem. I'm a Sunday Ticket sub and I've never once tuned into the Game Mix channel. It could be removed from the lineup and I wouldn't care. Same goes for the Red Zone Channel.

I subscribe because I am a Cowboys fan living in North Dakota. If I'm lucky, I might get to see 4 or 5 Cowboys games a year without ST. Everything around here is Vikings, Packers and Bears.

The mix channel has no appeal to me because when I'm watching football, I tend to concentrate on one or two games. If the boys are playing, the channel doesn't change until halftime or the end of the game.

With the exception of some diehards like the ones who have posted here (nice setups by the way!), I would imagine your average NFL fan probably has similar viewing habits to mine. I guess the point I'm trying to make is the mix channel has limited appeal, and if this was really as big a problem as you seem to think, measures would be taken to limit the impact of blackouts on that channel.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#26 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,274 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm reading through this thread and can't help but think saleen is searching for a solution that doesn't have a problem. I'm a Sunday Ticket sub and I've never once tuned into the Game Mix channel. It could be removed from the lineup and I wouldn't care. Same goes for the Red Zone Channel.

I subscribe because I am a Cowboys fan living in North Dakota. If I'm lucky, I might get to see 4 or 5 Cowboys games a year without ST. Everything around here is Vikings, Packers and Bears.

The mix channel has no appeal to me because when I'm watching football, I tend to concentrate on one or two games. If the boys are playing, the channel doesn't change until halftime or the end of the game.

With the exception of some diehards like the ones who have posted here (nice setups by the way!), I would imagine your average NFL fan probably has similar viewing habits to mine. I guess the point I'm trying to make is the mix channel has limited appeal, and if this was really as big a problem as you seem to think, measures would be taken to limit the impact of blackouts on that channel.

Bingo!

The mix channel is a nicety. And pretty much hard to watch except when 4 or fewer games.

But to each his own.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#27 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

While I'm not a big game mix watcher. My typical Sunday afternoon is Jaguars game and then the Red Zone Channel in the slot they aren't in. I would imagine a lot if us who sub to see our out of market teams follow that similar pattern.

#28 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

Yes, it's my team and/or the RedZone, the mix channel games are just too small and the screen too "busy" to watch.

#29 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

I don't get the consternation.

The only time I ever go to the Mix channel is when Andrew Siciliano stays too long on highlights, and I check to see if any other action is going on. If it is...I switch to that channel.

Sandra

#30 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

Yes, it's my team and/or the RedZone, the mix channel games are just too small and the screen too "busy" to watch.

Agreed. I got a bigger TV in the offseason and tried watching it and yeah just too much going on. I feel like I see nothing because so much is happening if you know what I mean. I've seen the mix baseball channel and to me that's a little easier to follow.

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,274 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Agreed. I got a bigger TV in the offseason and tried watching it and yeah just too much going on. I feel like I see nothing because so much is happening if you know what I mean. I've seen the mix baseball channel and to me that's a little easier to follow.

Game pace is different. And more goes on between plays with penalties, etc, in football. Especially with all the conferences this year.

#32 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

The issue is simple, we pay a ton of money for a product D is letting die on the table...

The early games on GM suck, you'd need a 100 inch tv to watch it but it's good for a flip, meaning if my Jets are playing and there is a commercial I flip to GM, then I can see when we are coming back from commercial and I flip back... The RZ lacks context. They may show a game that is not competitive yet is in the red zone...

The 4pm games are different, with 4 games on my 61" tv it's fun to watch as you can actually watch the games.

However due to blackouts, and more on the way, the 4pm GM sucks, we typically have 1 box showing nothing. Why?

#33 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

It's a free country, saleen. If you are that fed up with Game Mix, cancel your ST contract.

This problem obviously doesn't bother the majority of folks. As a company, DirecTV has to figure out who to serve.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#34 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

However due to blackouts, and more on the way, the 4pm GM sucks, we typically have 1 box showing nothing. Why?

If you are really annoyed by the black box for the one blacked out game, go out and buy 8 TV's, set them up with HD receivers, and make your own mix channel with 8 games. Other then that, accept it the way it is.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#35 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Because stadiums are not selling out...because too many people are staying home to watch all of the extra channels/games that are now available!

Sandra

#36 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

The issue is simple, we pay a ton of money for a product D is letting die on the table...

The early games on GM suck, you'd need a 100 inch tv to watch it but it's good for a flip, meaning if my Jets are playing and there is a commercial I flip to GM, then I can see when we are coming back from commercial and I flip back... The RZ lacks context. They may show a game that is not competitive yet is in the red zone...

The 4pm games are different, with 4 games on my 61" tv it's fun to watch as you can actually watch the games.

Why are you blaming DirecTV for NFL blackout rules?
DTV = Digital Television

#37 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

How are they letting it die on the table? Nearly everyone here has said they don't watch the mix channel. The individual out of market games are the central foundation for ST. As long as they are there, everything else is add on. While I love RZC I still don't put it in the fundamental reason for the package. I know a lot sub for that channel so of anything that would be the only extra that comes close. Watching on the iPad, multiple games at one time, game mix, fantasy trackers, short cuts, etc are not in that level to most people.

The one thing I've always been curious about with GM is was it ever possible as games end, remove them, and make the other boxes larger. But that's about all.

#38 OFFLINE   iceburg02

iceburg02

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

While I'm not a big game mix watcher. My typical Sunday afternoon is Jaguars game and then the Red Zone Channel in the slot they aren't in. I would imagine a lot if us who sub to see our out of market teams follow that similar pattern.

this (substituting Lions for Jaguars) :)

#39 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 157 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Again, I don't pay for ST for game mix - which is much like the rest of the subscribers. We pay for access to our team's games as well as every other game on Sunday. If Game Mix was offered as a separate package, you'd have a right to gripe and complain, but being as it's included as part of a package that includes every game, I don't see what your issue is. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#40 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

Ok, just spitballin here, but....

Create the same one mix channel... but have it mirrored on several channels, and then only authorize people to see the game mix channel that wont break the blackout rules... Not sure if they can do that with mirrored channels or not, but its the only thing I can think of that might work. If there is four games though, that would mean they may need up to four mirrors for the afternoon games, and six mirrors for the morning games, I believe.

spam firewall