Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The perfect storm of NFLGM blackouts...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Create the same one mix channel... but have it mirrored on several channels, and then only authorize people to see the game mix channel that wont break the blackout rules... Not sure if they can do that with mirrored channels or not, but its the only thing I can think of that might work. If there is four games though, that would mean they may need up to four mirrors for the afternoon games, and six mirrors for the morning games, I believe.

I can't quite tell whether you're advocating for...

1. "The same one mix channel" containing every game, blacked out in areas where a game may be blacked out.

2. Separate mix channels for areas where there's a blackout, i.e., if a Buccaneers home game is blacked out, then most of the country gets a mix channel containing every game, and Central Florida gets a mix channel that contains all games except the Bucs game.

Neither scenario would involve "mirrors," a term which implies that the content is the same on all channels. #1 only requires one channel; #2 would require DirecTV to produce and distribute two completely separate mix channels.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

I believe what he's saying is a mix channel that "mirrors" the ST channels as you receive them. So in essence if a game is blacked out it would be blacked out on the mix channel for you (you'd actually see a black screen in the box). The problem with this is it would also black out the games airing on your local affiliate because those are blacked out on the ST channels as well which is one big reason I don't think this would ever work.

#43 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Or Directv could develop PIP system so that you could create your own mix channel. So with a HR34 you could use all 5 tuners - 1 for the main game and the other four for PIP. Now if you could resize, and move PIP windows that would be awesome. I know it's just a crazy idea, but........??????

Now it's time for some football.

#44 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

I believe what he's saying is a mix channel that "mirrors" the ST channels as you receive them. So in essence if a game is blacked out it would be blacked out on the mix channel for you (you'd actually see a black screen in the box).

Pretty sure this would require new receivers/DVRs with new technology that would allow them to dynamically "create" a mix channel "on the fly."
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#45 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 185 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Or Directv could develop PIP system so that you could create your own mix channel. So with a HR34 you could use all 5 tuners - 1 for the main game and the other four for PIP. Now if you could resize, and move PIP windows that would be awesome. I know it's just a crazy idea, but........??????

Now it's time for some football.

Actually, that's not a bad idea at all. I think they need to iron out the rest of the bugs in the HR34 before they look at something like this, but it would make sense.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#46 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Pretty sure this would require new receivers/DVRs with new technology that would allow them to dynamically "create" a mix channel "on the fly."

That would be one expensive system. The decoders are the issue.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...