Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pay Per View Picture Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Asking for a friend of mine so I may not have all of the specific information:

When he downloads any Pay Per View movie (free content is fine) the bottom third of his screen is always "wavy and distorted". Not sure exactly what box he has, but I know it is NOT the HR34 and that he has 3 HD-DVR boxes that are using the Whole Home service. It was installed by a DTV technician.

Issue occurs regardless of what box is used to order or view the movie. He does not have a land line (could this be the issue)? Again, free content displays fine, only things with a charge have the issue (ironically).

I am asking because he is going to defect to cable as Directv has refused to help (not a known issue so they refuse to send anyone out to help) and they use On Demand a lot (please spare the Netflix, waste of money, On Demand sucks, etc debate). They like to use this service but no sense paying for movies if they are un-watchable. Along with some other minor hassles with Directv, and this has become a potential "last straw" for him.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on this issue.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

If DIRECTV won't help your friend and they're heavy demand users, that's all the justification they need to switch to cable. The customer service probably won't improve, but the whole demand thing almost surely will.

The only real concern is if your friend is under commitment.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Asking for a friend of mine so I may not have all of the specific information:

When he downloads any Pay Per View movie (free content is fine) the bottom third of his screen is always "wavy and distorted". Not sure exactly what box he has, but I know it is NOT the HR34 and that he has 3 HD-DVR boxes that are using the Whole Home service. It was installed by a DTV technician.

Issue occurs regardless of what box is used to order or view the movie. He does not have a land line (could this be the issue)? Again, free content displays fine, only things with a charge have the issue (ironically).

I am asking because he is going to defect to cable as Directv has refused to help (not a known issue so they refuse to send anyone out to help) and they use On Demand a lot (please spare the Netflix, waste of money, On Demand sucks, etc debate). They like to use this service but no sense paying for movies if they are un-watchable. Along with some other minor hassles with Directv, and this has become a potential "last straw" for him.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on this issue.

try 1080i or 720p mode and not 1080p/24 mode.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#4 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

try 1080i or 720p mode and not 1080p/24 mode.

Thank you for the tip on changing the resolution.

Was over at his house earlier today, unchecked the 1080p box and the problem is gone. He has an inexpensive TV that is "1080p compliant" that obviously is not!

Honestly, this seems like something a DTV CSR should have in their problem resolution binders to suggest as a potential fix.

DTV customer service 0, DBSTalk community 1

Thanks again for the tip.

spam firewall