Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

For next update - Fox Sports Kansas City. And it's not that the HD is only part time. The channel itself is only on the air part time.

Is it available on DirecTV?!

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I guess I didn't state that very well. The channel is live 24-7, but DirecTV only airs it part-time on 672-1.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#203 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

I guess I didn't state that very well. The channel is live 24-7, but DirecTV only airs it part-time on 672-1.

Added... :)

~Alan

#204 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Same situation with Fox Sports San Diego. FSSD essentially mirrors Prime Ticket (with some live sports exceptions, besides obviously the Padres), and I assume FSKC is the same regarding FSMW? I would guess FSOKC is the same with FSSW?

Why would D* show essentially duplicate channels? Seems like a waste of bandwidth.

#205 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

FSMW originally was the main carrier for mid-west sports. Then they created FSKC in 2008 as a separate channel so as not to conflict with St. Louis Cardinals baseball. I believe it still essentially mirrors FSMW 671 the majority of the time, except when the Royals are on. There are differences now and then, but DirecTV does not (at least that I'm aware) turn on 672/672-1 for anything other than the Royals games. When FSKC runs original programming, we in Kansas City miss out. The One on One series with Ryan Lefebvre never gets seen, unless they happen to run it during a rain delay. The repeat of the Royals game does not get shown either.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#206 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Folks...I'm not much on country music. But in this era of Honey Boo-Boo, a History Channel that abandoned history, and MTV without music, these folks deserve a second chance...

The Nashville Network has announced its return on November 1st. And I'd kill to have it back on DirecTV, if only for the pleasure of watching a channel that still lives up to its name.

Here's the (shortened) link to the YouTube announcement...

http://tinyurl.com/9nc6tsa

#207 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Folks...I'm not much on country music. But in this era of Honey Boo-Boo, a History Channel that abandoned history, and MTV without music, these folks deserve a second chance...

The Nashville Network has announced its return on November 1st. And I'd kill to have it back on DirecTV, if only for the pleasure of watching a channel that still lives up to its name.

Well said!

#208 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

According to this website, TNN will be an over the air network like RetroTV, not a cable channel. So I'm guessing most of the content will be old classic TNN shows.

The original TNN was owned by Viacom, who began morphing it into a general entertainment network in the late 90s. I still remember when they started running Star Trek Next Generation reruns. Eventually, the channel was rebranded SPIKE.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#209 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

and if TNN made its return in quick fashion..Likely it'd be in SD 1st...not HD

#210 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,145 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

According to this website, TNN will be an over the air network like RetroTV, not a cable channel. So I'm guessing most of the content will be old classic TNN shows.

The original TNN was owned by Viacom, who began morphing it into a general entertainment network in the late 90s. I still remember when they started running Star Trek Next Generation reruns. Eventually, the channel was rebranded SPIKE.

and once sporsoned a car (driven by ted musgrave) in nascar!

#211 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

Certainly vague...

While I put most West feed chances at slim until we move closer to 2016, Ion's dual use as a national channel and a local channel ups it's chances somewhat in my mind... though their limited amount of original programming still puts their chances at slim in my mind until some time down the road.

~Alan

see ion west channel 306 is a local channel it is kpxn la,ca

#212 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

see ion west channel 306 is a local channel it is kpxn la,ca

Its really only labeled that way in the remap to local channel 30 here as from KPXN-DT.

The actual OTA programming from KPXN though differs at various times from the ION west network feed.

The station's main 30-1 sub-channel off-air is also in 720p HD as well.

Of note:

KPXN also carries an additional two SD sub-channels along with some four more encrypted sub-channels for a subscription service known as "AirBox TV"

#213 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Honey Boo-Boo

Do not EVER speak this "name" in this topic again. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#214 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Honey Boo-Boo

could be worse I could of said Pac-12

#215 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Same situation with Fox Sports San Diego. FSSD essentially mirrors Prime Ticket (with some live sports exceptions, besides obviously the Padres), and I assume FSKC is the same regarding FSMW? I would guess FSOKC is the same with FSSW?

Why would D* show essentially duplicate channels? Seems like a waste of bandwidth.

I think they should also add Fox Sports Ohio in full-time HD. There is no need for a separate Cincinnati feed, just use the feed that has the Reds, Blue Jackets, and Cavaliers since the Indians are on STO now. I know in the Cleveland area they don't get the Reds games but it's no biggie, just black them out like they do now.

Then have a plus part time feed for games that overlap just like they do for Fox Sports Detroit. It is kind of confusing Directv doesn't carry this feed right now.

#216 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Honey Boo-Boo

could be worse I could of said Pac-12

I understand her mother is starting for USC at fullback.....:backtotop

Anyway, I had no idea the TNN launch would be for the OTA folks. Personally, I was hoping for some new material as it promises on the website. However, I did see a reference to "ask you cable company" for TNN, so I can only assume it would be available to DirecTV as well.

#217 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Anyway, I had no idea the TNN launch would be for the OTA folks. Personally, I was hoping for some new material as it promises on the website. However, I did see a reference to "ask you cable company" for TNN, so I can only assume it would be available to DirecTV as well.

Not always. If they use the same model as e.g. RetroTV or MeTV, they would utilize a sub-channel of an existing, licensed broadcaster. Many CABLE outfits will probably have such a channel on their lineup as they can just pick up the OTA feed and distribute it.

This has been a problem for satellite companies. Due to the MANY requests of MeTV, they did finally launch MeTV on spot-beams in 30-odd markets or so, basically the top 30-ish (maybe more by now) of markets that have a OTA MeTV and had space on their spot beams. They are SD only.

Satellite companies simply CAN'T do this for every subchannel that can be received OTA, as there simply isn't the capacity. If you live in an area that will have TNN OTA, you will probably just have to get an OTA antenna to receive it. Just like MeTV and RetroTV, they probably do not have, and will not have a "national" cable channel setup.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#218 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

This has been a problem for satellite companies. Due to the MANY requests of MeTV, they did finally launch MeTV on spot-beams in 30-odd markets or so, basically the top 30-ish (maybe more by now) of markets that have a OTA MeTV and had space on their spot beams. They are SD only.

Just to add a little clarification to maartena's comments above.

DirecTV has not added a single Me-TV affiliated sub-channel to my knowledge. There are a handful of markets in which Me-TV programming is a broadcast channel's MAIN affiliation... and DirecTV carries that channel.

~Alan

#219 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,928 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Just to add a little clarification to maartena's comments above.

DirecTV has not added a single Me-TV affiliated sub-channel to my knowledge. There are a handful of markets in which Me-TV programming is a broadcast channel's MAIN affiliation... and DirecTV carries that channel.

~Alan

Yep;

The somewhat new local KVME-20 (Ind.) is that way here in the L.A. market.

A 101 SD channel of course.

#220 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

IMO if D* added Me-TV it would probably be the beginning of the end for their awesome vintage programming because they would probably become a slave to the same ratings pressure that has turned most other niche stations into reality TV and newer rerun clones.

I wish niche channels would stay with what makes them unique, but I guess financials doesn't allow that to happen. So we end up with many, many interchangeable channels instead.

spam firewall