Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
807 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Yep;

The somewhat new local KVME-20 (Ind.) is that way here in the L.A. market.

A 101 SD channel of course.

I have a ME affiliate here in NY...but it doesnt broadcast all the core programs sometimes I see ads for upcoming shows...I hit the guide...I then have infomercials so does a true ME affiliate even exist?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,163 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

I have a ME affiliate here in NY...but it doesnt broadcast all the core programs sometimes I see ads for upcoming shows...I hit the guide...I then have infomercials so does a true ME affiliate even exist?

Same here with KVME as a holdover from when it was solely a religious and infomercial laden TV station KNLA-CD before aligning with MeTV.

And they are still that way now OTA. KVME is only available for cable or satellite distributors.

For 24/7 MeTV programming I have to go OTA with local KDOC-DT sub-channel 56-3.

#223 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Just to add a little clarification to maartena's comments above.

DirecTV has not added a single Me-TV affiliated sub-channel to my knowledge. There are a handful of markets in which Me-TV programming is a broadcast channel's MAIN affiliation... and DirecTV carries that channel.

~Alan

Aha! Yeah that makes sense..... it is channel 20 indeed as mentioned above in the Los Angles area, but I didn't realize they had a full broadcast license instead of piggy-backing on someone elses license as a sub station.

In that case... you probably won't see TNN anytime soon on DirecTV.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#224 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

The only OTA sub-channel in my area that DTV carries is one of the PBS Sub-channels.

#225 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

DirecTV has not added a single Me-TV affiliated sub-channel to my knowledge. There are a handful of markets in which Me-TV programming is a broadcast channel's MAIN affiliation... and DirecTV carries that channel.

~Alan

Yep;

The somewhat new local KVME-20 (Ind.) is that way here in the L.A. market.

A 101 SD channel of course.

Yes, that is true. I watch quite a lot of KVME, but it is really annoying how often they interrupt the programming with that stupid "banner screen" :( showing:

LACA-WB3-LABC IRD01

It really irritates me, and I would lilke to contact them to ask them to KNOCK IT OFF, or at least be more careful where they insert it in their video stream, but I can't find an e-mail address to contact them.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#226 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

As you can see by my avatar, I am a supporter of MeTV, RTV and AntennaTV. If it has a following, I wish Directv would carry it. We have none of these subchannels, in our DMA, and have to go over the air, long distance, if we want to see it. I've spoken to my local affiliates, although interested, they have not moved to do anything about it.

#227 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

My hope is that all bit-leeching subchannels disappear. If their content is popular enough, i hope it finds its way to a standalone channel.
DTV = Digital Television

#228 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

~Alan

Indeed, that's how we have MeTV here in Austin. There's a LPTV here owned by LIN Broadcasting. Apparently LIN made its carriage (in HD no less) part of the deal where DirecTV (and Time Warner) was able to pick up its other two full power stations in the market.

I was kind of hoping for TNN, though, since it's openly asking folks to call their "cable company". That to me, means there will be an available cable feed in addition to the .2 feed. Of course, whether DirecTV can be talked into picking it up is another question altogether.

#229 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation

#230 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

My hope is that all bit-leeching subchannels disappear. If their content is popular enough, i hope it finds its way to a standalone channel.

I don't think it is that unreasonable to carry them in SD since those subchannels aren't available everywhere.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#231 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation

This

#232 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

H2HD please.

#233 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

H2HD please.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#234 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Palladia ran a marathon of UK 80s Rewind Concerts last weekend with great live acts like ABC, Human League, Go West and my favorite, Billy Ocean. The guy still has an amazing voice, even 25 years after he was a big star.

That's my round about way of bringing up Ovation HD again. They've been experimenting with more mainstream fair like movies and Antiques Roadshow, but they still show lots of great concerts that would be excellent in HD. So, Ovation HD please.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#235 OFFLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

Palladia ran a marathon of UK 80s Rewind Concerts last weekend with great live acts like ABC, Human League, Go West and my favorite, Billy Ocean. The guy still has an amazing voice, even 25 years after he was a big star.

That's my round about way of bringing up Ovation HD again. They've been experimenting with more mainstream fair like movies and Antiques Roadshow, but they still show lots of great concerts that would be excellent in HD. So, Ovation HD please.

FUSEHD please!!!!!!!

#236 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

H2HD please.

Agree. Would also like HLN, FMC, ID or TVLAND in HD. Hopefully, some news or hints will be posted soon.

#237 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Folks...I'm not much on country music. But in this era of Honey Boo-Boo, a History Channel that abandoned history, and MTV without music, these folks deserve a second chance...

The Nashville Network has announced its return on November 1st. And I'd kill to have it back on DirecTV, if only for the pleasure of watching a channel that still lives up to its name.

Here's the (shortened) link to the YouTube announcement...

http://tinyurl.com/9nc6tsa

TNN isn't going to be on DirecTV, Dish or cable. It will be on another venue. I forgot which.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#238 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

As you can see by my avatar, I am a supporter of MeTV, RTV and AntennaTV. If it has a following, I wish Directv would carry it. We have none of these subchannels, in our DMA, and have to go over the air, long distance, if we want to see it. I've spoken to my local affiliates, although interested, they have not moved to do anything about it.

We had RTV for six months here, but the station got sold by Clear Channel and the new owner flipped it to Spanish.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#239 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

We had RTV for six months here, but the station got sold by Clear Channel and the new owner flipped it to Spanish.

RTV used to be a good channel back in the day until Me-TV and Antenna TV came along and now has most of it's old programming.

#240 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,998 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

RTV used to be a good channel back in the day until Me-TV and Antenna TV came along and now has most of it's old programming.

I caught an old Colgate Comedy Hour (with Martin & Lewis) on RTV last week. It's the only program I have watched on RTV in several months.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...